Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Oro, Akira and... Luke?

joffocakes

Ken and Nash look to be the biggest winners in this patch. Both had been left behind as the seasons have gone on so they deserve it. Ken's improvements really are a huge overhaul for him. He can whif punish with crouch fierce into heavy tatsu, his single hit cr. MK confirms are now reliable, he has new and/or more reliable counter hit combos, he has better conversions and new mix ups off his crush counter cr. fierce and standing roundhouse, plus the new range on his heavy DP gives it a ton of extra utility. As well as helping with combos and conversions, he can also go through fireballs with it, and he can do mad stuff like punish Menat's standing medium punch on block with raw heavy DP. Very exciting patch for Kenneth. I see Momochi is already giving it a whirl, It feels like a significant enough set of buffs to make Ken relevant again. 

Happy to see Lucia get fixed as well. She was almost a good character in the last patch but didn't get any oki mid screen. Now she has the ability to get pressure from two of her main combo enders and that pretty much plugs the massive gap she had in her gameplan. I think that makes her solidly mid-upper mid rather than low tier. 

Nice to see they've done a little something to Cammy as she has been dominating the CPT qualifiers this season. Urien's EX tackle putting leaving him in throw range now when you block it is a looooong overdue change. He used to be -2 but not REALLY -2 because he didn't have to worry about throw. Now he follows the same -2 rules as the rest of the cast. Making his cr. MK whiff punishable by humans is also extremely welcome. Past two patches have nerfed him and he's still comfortably top 3 in the game. 

Crazy that this patch has come just a couple of days before Red Bull Kumite though. Unusual for a patch to be this close to an international major. 

Also it's great that all of the players who have gathered for the event have taken the opportunity to play sets against anyone and everyone. Tokido vs Idom FT10, Tokido vs Infexious FT5, Ryan Hart vs Bonchan FT5. Many many GGs to be had.

Regarding FANG’s changes, I’d actually say they just fixed 2 bugs.

I considered Ed and Rose bad match ups for the exact reason they’ve made changes. They could both fireball for free and I couldn’t stop them with poison trap, which completely broke any zoning game. They only mentioned Rose and Ed though so I’m wondering if Sagat’s high Tiger shot still goes over (which it did) as it always makes zoning wars with him a losing battle for FANG.

For the Sotoja being extended, you could lp into light Sotoja but you couldn’t lp, lp into it as the first hit would miss, they’d block the second and you’d get punished. It also meant -4 moves at far enough range meant you could land the lp but you couldn’t land the Sotoja, which was stupid IMO. This is the way it should have always been IMO.

Crikey moses. This evening I broke into Silver with Rose, something I never once did playing my occasional but persistent Laura. Got a 13-match streak in ranked, beat some folks above my level, and almost steamed straight through into Super Silver without looking back - I was 6P away! Aaaah!

I think it underlines that you have to click with a character, which I did with none of the launch characters from this game. A bit sad that SFVI will be round the corner and I will be tempted to abandon this unusual and interesting version of the Soulful Lass.

I haven't learned how to properly use either V-skill, and I'm only slightly better with Soul Punish, in that I do something effective with it once every seven or so matches. I'm terrible at cancelling Spiral into Super when it could win me the match: I was always sloppy with my execution, now I'm sloppy and rusty. Still sliding too much when it's unsafe, and sticking out cr.mk when I should be predicting jumps. Lots of situations where I autopilot, I'm very predictable. But I am decent at using her good buttons in the right places, remembering to throw (Rose is a grappler), and I'm getting an awful lot of mileage out of VT2. It's very satisfying to land the throw when they're blocking, then next time the b.hk when they're teching. And I've only landed a few of those big EX Bind anti-air punishes but they are so good.

I'd be up for some longer sets if anyone fancies it!

@robdood I added as a CFN friend, my CFN is MrLovely. Ignore anything in my profile as this is my PS account which means I smurfed my way back to UltraSilver.

Anyone else can feel free to add me. I can only play Vega and I am not very good!

16 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Red Bull Kumite was absolutely fantastic. Great stuff.

It was indeed, and great to see an EU win.

Highlights for me apart from the excellent commentary from the team (F-word’s ‘Oh my days’ gets me every time) were Bonchan/Takamura and obviously Luffy/MisterCrimson and of course Punk knocking over the rocks when he was knocked out 😆.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few weeks of really struggling with the PS5 version I had to give up. It really felt like my inputs were not coming out and/or were not coming out fast enough. Not sure if this is due to the switch to TV from monitor, a network setup issue or if there is something going on with my fightpad and compatibility with PS5. I suppose there is also the risk that there is a psychosomatic effect.

I jumped back on my steam account and everything was 100 times better. @robdood I sent an invite from my PC CFN,  mrwinky if you ever want to spar.

@winkyI have kinda paused for time being due to an annoying fault with my Internet, get mad intermittent ping spikes which make it unplayable for chunks of time ranging from 5-30(!} minutes :(

There seems to be something weird with it on console at the moment, I'm away from home at the moment so downloaded it onto the PS4 that's here and it has constant little laggy pauses even on the grid, offline. Never had that before on PC, PS4 Pro or my old base PS4. I managed to find another couple of comments on Reddit about it suggesting it's since the Dan update but if it's across the board I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot more discussion about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Info on the next update, Oro, Akira  and more* will be streamed on Tuesday next week at 11pm (I think).

Looking forward to seeing Akira's stage and how their aerial combos work.

*probably some DJ's terrible SFII soundtrack remix and gaudy tshirts.

I forgot Evo starts this weekend! I haven't followed many tournaments since covid made almost everything online only (plus I no longer commute). Hopefully it's still an interesting watch however, quite wildly, the Evo twitter account just said players should use ethernet "if you can" (the rules still suggest match forfeiture if a player is found to be using WiFi).

EDIT: They already deleted the tweet and reworded it:

Another Fortnite collab will be covered in tonight's update, two new characters it seems (my guesses are Zangief and Cammy). Time for speculation that the final character is Jonesy from Fortnite to begin!

It was already obvious from the previous showcase that they'd nailed Oro, this only made me want him more. Definitely purchasing him. 

I would have liked to see more of the foley artist stuff.

Luke might be the least appealing character design in SF history. He looks like more of a dickhead than Ed. I didn't think it was possible. 

Not interested in anything about Luke. At least he continues the game's tradition of dreadful looking blonde hair? I hope this isn't an indication of SF6's character design and is just some cutting room floor reject from SFV's initial roster.

Akira looks kinda straightforward but fun all the same; I hope Oro can be an absolute nuisance.

Surprised to see quite a lot of positive reactions to Luke on the Twitter Internet website. I wish they'd at least made him Irish or something, rather than another USA punchman rep. Also he should be the Neo Shadaloo Gorilla.

• joffocakes changed the title to Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Oro, Akira and... Luke?
25 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Surprised to see quite a lot of positive reactions to Luke on the Twitter Internet website. I wish they'd at least made him Irish or something, rather than another USA punchman rep. 

Maybe he's from Boston?

i think he looks quite fun. way better than Ed... although i havent had a chance to watch it with the sound on yet.

i guess it would have been nice for him to be from pretty much anywhere except america though.

13 hours ago, Fuddle said:

i think he looks quite fun. way better than Ed... although i havent had a chance to watch it with the sound on yet.

I thought I was the only one who thinks Ed's a terrible character. I only play the game offline, so I'm not really aware of the online community. Not much love for Ed in general then?

Nah Ed's a bit of a turd all round, not much love for him. 

In terms of mechanics/build he has a few interesting tools, and is also the test character for simplified inputs in SF, but other than that he is terribly bland. He's also been a bit of a non-factor competitively. In keeping with the blandness of his design, he is also quite bland in the meta-game. He doesn't excel at anything and there are stronger all-rounder type characters, so there's limited reason to play him. A few top players have a pocket Ed, but he's still very rarely seen. His Lose Yourself knock off theme song is dreadful too. 

On first impressions I like Luke less than Ed though. I quite enjoy Ed's fireball/fake fireball, his V-Trigger 1 and some of his snatcher grabby hand stuff. With Luke I like his long range machine gun punch thing but literally nothing else. 

Sorry for the basic bitch question, but if I were to buy this on PlayStation, which is the version for me? Street Fighter V, or Champion Edition? The former is on sale for about £6, the latter for £16, then there are myriad DLCs and seasons passes, which left me feeling slightly bewildered. 

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

Sorry for the basic bitch question, but if I were to buy this on PlayStation, which is the version for me? Street Fighter V, or Champion Edition? The former is on sale for about £6, the latter for £16, then there are myriad DLCs and seasons passes, which left me feeling slightly bewildered. 

The basic Street Fighter V comes with just the starting 16 characters while Champion Edition has 40, with 95% or the cosmetic DLC (costumes, stages) unlocked too. It's definitely worth the extra tenner.

The pass for the Season 5 (the final season) characters is not included and is £14.99 at the  moment (or £27.99 all bundled together). You will be able to unlock all five of this season's characters (Dan, Rose, Oro, Akira and Luke) with Fight Money from the single player modes if you wanted to. Their additional costumes aren't included like they are with the pass, however, if that matters to you.