Street Fighter V Champion Edition - PS Plus game for September

The site isnt loading yet but looks like five new characters and three new stages are being added alongside new costumes (including a competition for fan-designed costumes).

THE FUTURE OF SFV:CE

We know our players are wondering what’s next for Street Fighter V, so we have some exciting news to share. Due to the positive reception to Season 4 and Champion Edition, we are planning to do a final Season “V”, which will add “V” more fighters to the roster. Three new stages are also being planned.

That’s all for now, but we’ll be back later this summer to share more details regarding the new content coming to Street Fighter V. For now, please continue enjoying everything included in Champion Edition.

Stay safe and thank you again for all the support.

https://t.co/3Q6jxVQXKx?amp=1

• Upvote 1

Wow, any guesses? I'm going:

Makoto

Dan

Sodom

Oro

New character

Guess C. Viper, Dudley and Fei Long are other strong possibilities.. Think I've covered most of the bases there.

They're best saving Viper for SF6 at this point? Even though I hate her.

Shes been rumoured since Arcade Edition though so I kinda expect her, Rose and Oro. Then Decapre and Abel for the last two since they have models in the story mode already.

I'd be mostly content with whoever though, I wasn't expecting such a substantial update. The only characters I absolutely do not want are Yun/Yang, Oni, Evil Ryu and El Fuerte. That said I didn't want Seth either but they're actually a load of fun.

Makoto and c.viper seem to have been rumoured multiple times, leaving me without my mains from both previous entries. I’m not sure I want them now. I bought the upgrade to unlock everything and then didn’t bother playing it since. I think I’d almost rather see them skipped now and hopefully included in sf6 straight away.

35 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

Makoto and c.viper seem to have been rumoured multiple times, leaving me without my mains from both previous entries. I’m not sure I want them now. I bought the upgrade to unlock everything and then didn’t bother playing it since. I think I’d almost rather see them skipped now and hopefully included in sf6 straight away.

Makoto is rubbish m8 lol.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know they'd get a tonne of shit so I'm not suggesting they actually do it but personally I'd be happier if they just sacked it off and concentrated on the next game. They've been on a pretty good run with new character designs so it'd be nice to see that carry over into 6 rather than burning themselves out running 5 into the ground unnecessarily.

Plus maybe they could actually sort the netcode properly since that's something they should be looking to address for the next game anyway.

I suspect the decision to add a fifth season of characters was due to a potential early 2021 release of Street Fighter 6 being pushed back due to covid. They'll still be able to keep the series treading water until then.

With the additional 5 characters there will be 45 in total, which is more than enough. More than any other Street Fighter game (USFIV had 44). It'll probably be five characters all at once but there's no significant gap in the Pro Tour schedule to fit them in. Maybe they'll release them in August/September with no balance changes to the main cast and just ban them from competitive play before following up with a final balance (and hopefully netcode) patch after Capcom Cup.

The tournament mode they ran their beta test for (likely intended for the cancelled Olympic event) seems a little redundant now. I guess it may be reprised if that tournament is to go ahead in 2021?

If Street Fighter 6 does end up being a while away then I'd like a release of SFV on next gen systems, enhanced to take advantage of faster loading times and lighting improvements. And also on Switch with neither of those things.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, obviously the pandemic is what's thrown everything up in the air. Seth was a very natural final character.

I think the balance seems about as good as it's likely to get right now too and chucking another six characters into the mix might well upset that. Pro tier lists seem to be at about an all time subjectivity high which is usually a good sign, I saw a Gachikun one a few days ago that had G and Sagat on the same level :wacko: (presumed translation: "Bonchan is good.")

30 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

If Street Fighter 6 does end up being a while away then I'd like a release of SFV on next gen systems, enhanced to take advantage of faster loading times and lighting improvements. And also on Switch with neither of those things.

Yeah, this. SFV gets dunked on a lot, but I really enjoyed my time with it overall. Comfortably one of my most played games this gen.

• Upvote 1

Looks like we're getting the new character reveals on Wednesday from 6pm. Surprised they're not being shown at the Fighting Game dev roundtable event on Saturday (at 1am Saturday) but maybe there'll still be a tease then with the full run-through to follow.

• Upvote 1

6pm tonight for the reveals.

Champion Edition also is going on sale on PSN for ~£19 (25% off) though the full game has a two-week free trial (all 40 characters unlocked) from today if you'd rather save the twenty quid.

Apparently it just takes a global pandemic for Capcom to manage a reveal without anything leaking ahead of time. There are a few hours to go yet though. Looking forward to this as, even though I rarely play the game, I still watch it avidly and I am a sucker for a surprise character reveal. :)

• Upvote 1

Ken's Street Fighter V design is great; his loose gi and aggressive animations make him more distinct from Ryu than ever. An overall redesign of the character select screen would be welcome though; there's unflattering lighting and clipping issues even with default costumes. Plus having 45 characters across 2 rows will look cramped.

I doubt we'll see much in the way of aesthetic changes with this update even though some cleaning up/QoL changes would be welcome. There's still no PS4 Pro patch either. I wonder if they'll mention PS5 support? Eradicating the loading times would go some way to making the Arcade and Survival modes more bearable plus a few touches of raytraced lighting would be cute.

Six hours until they announce Dan, Rufus, Yoko Harmageddon, Necro and Vulcano Rosso* though so I'm pretty excited.

*They didn't explicitly say all 5 characters would be announced tonight but hopefully.

• Upvote 1