rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

Last Year - slasher movie MP game

Sounds a bit like an awesome Source game a few of us played a while ago called something like "The Hidden" - in that game, all but one player is a squad member whilst the other (randomly selected by the game) is a hostile research project gone wrong - this player is near-invisible and can climb walls, pounce on players, etc.

This looks a bit more polished though, and the high-school premise makes a change from the usual ex-marines or whatever. :)

EDIT: sod it, they can have $10CAD from me :P

Seems like the game's running into copyright issues going by the email sent to backers this morning. The TL;DR version is that the people who own the IP for Friday the 13th claim that Last Year is too similar in concept - this wouldn't be so unusual if it were the only issue, but it turns out that a new game based on the film is in the works and will likely be very similar to Last Year. The LY guys don't deny that they took inspiration from certain films, but news of the Friday the 13th game only appeared about a week ago, and it's been years since there were ever any notable games or gaming products based on the film (mention Friday the 13th games to someone and it's likely their first thought will be the dodgy NES game by LJN :P ), so they're understandably a bit frustrated.

Personally I can see why people would think that the narrative premise is similar, but games have been taking inspiration from old horror movies for decades now. The worst thing is that this actually has quite a novel gameplay idea but it's getting into trouble for using old horror tropes for the narrative framework...

EDIT: to clarify, the points made in the email specifically say that the location used in Last Year - "Silver Lake Summer Camp" - infringes on the film's "Crystal Lake Summer Camp"; also, they object to the poster for the Friday the 13th film used in the LY trailer, and they picked up on the use of the hockey mask in the game's promotion. I admit that all of these are fairly blatant nods to the film, but it'd be a shame if the game struggles because of this, and I still think the announcement of the new Friday the 13th game is a bit too coincidental... ;)

That seems a bit shit. I mean, it was pretty obvious one of the levels was essentially "Friday the 13th the game" and some of the imagery was blatantly copied, but this just looks like someone said "hey, that looks cool....we should totally do that" but then fuck over the people who came up with the idea in the first place. It's also a shame, because if Last Year had done well, I think there would be more scope to expand on it with more levels inspired by horror movies. While I like the idea of a licensed Friday the 13th title, you're a bit limited in terms of locations and killers (from what I remember - though I like the idea of a level based on Jason X). I don't think they could really shoe horn the school level from Last Year?

• Upvote 1

In an update that went up today (and is locked so only backers can view), they've announced that the IP dispute is over. :)

(The dispute) caused quite a frustrating and unnecessary delay but I appreciate the patience and words of support you all gave. Thankfully its over and we can now get back to work! In the unfortunate scenario that Silver Lake would have caused additional problems I had backup plan with a new location I started working on: "The Suburbs". If you’ve ever wanted to explore a creepy movie inspired suburb at night this is it. "

The update then goes on to give an overview of the Suburbs scenario and future plans for production, website stuff etc. Whilst it's a shame that the original Silver Lake scenario is no more, it's nice that the project can continue. :D

So this came out:

I had a quick game and it’s quite interesting; you pick classes with varying skills and then each of you carry out mini objectives to aid in survival or escape. Since you’re guided towards these helpful objectives there’s little room for disorganised play. It kind of reminds me of the class-based objectives you got in games like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. But with shambling undead foes, of course.