New Adam Curtis documentary - Bitter Lake. ALSO new Adam Curtis doc 2020

Sapa

I do think there's a bit of a quality dip after 'Century of The Self'. But 'Pandora's Box / The Living Dead / The Mayfair Set' is a great run (and you can chuck in the Nick Leeson/Henrietta Lacks docs in there too).

Also, before he invented the 'but they were wrong' voiceover, but a very early work which has its moments:

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Kinda getting worried about this now, it sounds like it's a drama series with actors playing characters?

I don't know why you think that, everything I've read and seen indicates each episode is his usual documentary style on one subject.

Right I'm nearly done with episode 1 and need something explained cos it's so disturbing. 

What the fuck is going on in that Kenya footage in b&w. With the paper bags over the heads of the men. And the latter scene of the woman parading and examining the men in their individual zinc cubicles? Seriously what am I watching. 

Anyway really enjoying this as expected. Gonna get it all watched asap. 

I thought I'd have quick read of Adam Curtis' Wikipedia page before I started watching his latest stuff. 

I was initially really surprised to realise he's the same Adam Curtis that used to be on Esther Ranzens "That's Life" TV show that was on on a Sunday night when I was a lad.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that I'd already known this but had forgotten.

:blah:

Can anyone who's watched part one and taken something from it maybe spoiler their findings?

I'm 20 minutes in and like the other documentaries - nice to look at but absolute bobbins so far. Total absolute nonsense.

However, I'm interested if that's "it" or if you've taken something else from it? Oh apart from the soundtrack of course.

You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve in the soundtrack!!!!

EDIT: So apparently it was supposed to be the actual title of the series, but the BBC vetoed it for being too long. The bastards.

Also, many years ago, I knocked this silly website out in an afternoon. I feel like I have been vindicated. http://youarethegenerationthatboughtmoreshoesandyougetwhatyoudeserve.com/

Spoiler

I still have Part Six to get through, but again, I'm disappointed that BBC2 isn't allowed to get weird again and have this go out on national transmission instead of being iPlayer-only. While I can definitely quibble about a *lot*, even some things that Curtis has contradicted in his earlier work, it still feels amazing to have a series on the BBC that comes out swinging with the Mau Mau Uprising and continues with a theme of "the British Empire was always rotten at its core" shot through every episode.