IGNORED

XBL and PSN Down...

Feel sorry for the effected users. I'm thankful I did not buy into the current gen consoles especially where you pay for a shitty online service and are in fear that the manufacturer is going to screw you over if you get hacked.

Feel sorry for the effected users. I'm thankful I did not buy into the current gen consoles especially where you pay for a shitty online service and are in fear that the manufacturer is going to screw you over if you get hacked.

It's a good job a pc is never a target for hackers.

Millions and millions of us living in fear and terror.

Are you really this simple?

I just removed my card info from PSN as well after reading some of the reports. I accept the risk of having my data stored in the knowledge that I'll be compensated when something goes wrong, but if screwing over the customer is the standard policy I'd rather go through the hassle of reentering my data every time. Shame for Sony though, as this will no doubt limit the amount of late night drunk impulse buying.

Obviously having a product that relies on a network backbone that can be completely disabled once a couple of script kiddies have the mind to take it down IS a concern. On top of Sony's own ineptitude to keep PSN working whenever the strain gets a bit higher than regular Tuesday evening gaming. I'm not much of an online gamer (I quit Xbox Live Gold years ago and only have PS+ for the free games and discounts) so I can't say I'm too affected by it, but if my gaming diet would mainly consist of online multiplayer, I'd be pretty pissed off by it and expect compensation.

What's annoying now is Sony insisting everything is back to normal and fine and dandy, despite the fact a 5 minute browse gaming forums will tell you it's clearly not. Presumably to lessen the chance of having to issue any refunds due to downtime - "Oh, our records indicate that PSN is fully operational, it must be your router or something".

EDIT: And lo and behold, here's responses on the 'Ask Playstation' Twitter to poor sods who can't get online today.

Disconnect your router and console from the power source for 3 minutes, reconnect them and try again.

The PSN should be online, please power cycle your network devices and try again.

I have no idea how changing your MTU can possibly make it more likely to get online. I've been pondering it for days but can't get my head around it. Anyone have any credible theories?

BTW, lowering MTU makes your connection slower (sort of), so don't forget to change it back.

What's annoying now is Sony insisting everything is back to normal and fine and dandy, despite the fact a 5 minute browse gaming forums will tell you it's clearly not. Presumably to lessen the chance of having to issue any refunds due to downtime - "Oh, our records indicate that PSN is fully operational, it must be your router or something".

EDIT: And lo and behold, here's responses on the 'Ask Playstation' Twitter to poor sosd who can't get online today.

No it's not tried a few times yesterday. No friends list, store etc so gave up. At least I don't currently to sub to PS+.... Don't think I'm giving them any money for this service TBH and the free games are no longer a lure on PS4 these days.

EDIT: And lo and behold, here's responses on the 'Ask Playstation' Twitter to poor sods who can't get online today.

Switching the router off and on worked for me, something to do with DNS caches it seems.

Or witchcraft.

Music Unlimited is still not working properly on PS4. That pissed me off more than anything as I'm paying them an extra tenner a month for that service.

I know it's unavoidable that hackers will strike but Sony must learn how to deal with it better. Saying nothing won't wash for much longer, people will just stop paying.

I have no idea how changing your MTU can possibly make it more likely to get online. I've been pondering it for days but can't get my head around it. Anyone have any credible theories?

BTW, lowering MTU makes your connection slower (sort of), so don't forget to change it back.

It's a trade off, faster response but lower total throughput, you essentially send more packets that get re-assembled at the other end, it could be that due to the attack some ISP's automatically selected different routing which took you through some bad hops so lowering the max transmission size your end gave you a better chance of all your request data hitting the login server.

The trained hamsters that translate the zeroes and ones in each IP packet into orders for the untrained hamsters that operate the controls of PSN have only been able to memorise strings of 1450 characters thus far. Sony is specially breeding super-hamsters that can manage 1500 character strings (a bit like Saruman breeding the Uruk-Hai) and it's going to be a couple of weeks longer until they're born.

I don't pretend to understand how all this networking crap works, but it baffles me how some sweaty grotbag sitting in their pants in front of their PC can bring down the networks of two multi-billion dollar organisations.

On the topic of compensation; Sony don't have to do anything, obviously, but they should. Even a token offer would generate good will with a lot of people, but to offer nothing to people who were unable to use their consoles on Christmas day would be disastrous from a PR point of view. Sony can't be completely oblivious to the general negativity towards the PSN infrastructure, surely? You'd certainly hope not.

I don't really think Sony give a shit about negative PR at the moment. They're still riding the wave of all the good will they got from E3, and they know that people are still buying PS4s without worrying about PSN, because it's more powerful and their mates have one.

MS may be creeping up on them, but I think they're so far in front in terms of sales they're becoming complacent again.

Hopefully this mess will make them wake up and actually start caring about all those consumers who've put them in the position they're in.