IGNORED

XBL and PSN Down...

Anyone that really wanted a console to play online should have stuck with Microsoft as that is their strength. Getting mad at Sony for having shit online is like getting mad because you put your last ten quid on a three legged horse to win a monster truck derby.

True. Bit of a shock for those of us who went for a PS4 because they didn't want that always online bullshit, only to find out that their single player games wouldn't work if PSN goes down.

If I was a Microsoft fanboy or even Microsoft I'd be trumpeting this turn of events from the rooftops.

But this thread was full of XB1 owners stating they couldn't do shit while Live was down too.

The difference is that they knew what they signed up for. Sony at least gave the impression that the PS4 wasn't an always online system, at least for single player games. I was seriously not impressed to suddenly find that I was as screwed as the XB1 owners in that regard.

The difference is that they knew what they signed up for. Sony at least gave the impression that the PS4 wasn't an always online system, at least for single player games. I was seriously not impressed to suddenly find that I was as screwed as the XB1 owners in that regard.

What trouble were you having? Obviously disc-based games should have worked fine and so long as your PS4 is set as your account's Primary machine — which I believe it asks you to do upon initial login, but can be done after the fact — anything downloaded, even those titles tied to a Plus subscription, should work without issue whilst offline.

I suppose you were as screwed as an Xbox One owner insofar as they both employ a similar setup, but neither console is always-online. The near requirement of hefty day-one patches is getting more than a little ridiculous, mind; at least the update servers exist separately to PSN authentication, so you can still patch should the service be having issues.

Well you weren't. You just needed to sign out of PSN and most single player games worked fine.

Selling up just isn't an easy solution for many of us. For one you won't get what you paid back, and you'll lose your digital content plus money on any disc games you own.

And for all this talk about MS being better let's not forget they were down too.

You know, for someone who works, their holidays are quite precious. If you book a week in Spain and the flight is delayed for a day you've lost something that costs a lot more that 1/7th of cost of the holiday. You can't get that day back.

For many of us the few days off over Christmas are a rare occasion where you can spend a few days indulging in gaming. Often new games on a new console. How can you put a price on that? It's certainly more than the 'cost of goods'. We won't get that opportunity back.

For me, even a free game wouldn't really compensate. A couple of days wages perhaps?

See this is the problem I have don't get much time to play and when I do I want things to work as expected. Having endured DriveClub and then this at Xmas its all a bit rubbish really.

Recently picked up a WiiU though LOL so been playing some games on that.... Go Nintendo.... at least the hacking groups can't be arsed targeting that.... :D

Well you weren't. You just needed to sign out of PSN and most single player games worked fine.

Selling up just isn't an easy solution for many of us. For one you won't get what you paid back, and you'll lose your digital content plus money on any disc games you own.

And for all this talk about MS being better let's not forget they were down too.

They were, but they've certainly been back up since the 27th, without any magical router adjustment. Hell, even an online beta with god knows bow many participants worked yesterday.

I still couldn't sign in yesterday. It's not bothered me much as I've just been playing far cry and the last of us offline, but all this talk of it having been fixed or being fixed for awhile is disconcerting as it's never worked for me. I'd just like to know when it really is working...

For less than 24 hours. Now I'm no big city mathematician but if I'm correct that number is less than the 141 hours ir currently stands at for PSN. I don't know if the online functionality is back up and working yet because I stopped trying and carried on with Tropical Freeze.

I was annoyed at not being able to play online over Christmas. Then as I was away at the weekend I changed my login email to something unique to PSN and was then kicking myself as when I got home the service was back up but there was no verification email to be found and couldn't log in anyway! When it finally came through I got a barrage of messages as I had clicked on the resend mail so many times...

Still this has finally broken the stranglehold that Destiny had on my gaming and now finally playing Alien Isolation, which is great so far and not yet been back to Destiny

Let's not forget most botnets used in ddos attacks consist of shitty insecure windows machines which MS still owe us for.

Aye so really its not Sony and MS's fault - its people who own PCs and don't understand how to lock them down properly. Amongst other things.... :)

They were, but they've certainly been back up since the 27th, without any magical router adjustment. Hell, even an online beta with god knows bow many participants worked yesterday.

Well yeah but being down Christmas Day and Boxing Day hardly constitutes a success. I was playing online on PS4 on the 27th and 28th. Of course my whole Internet is down now so I can't comment on the current status.

With regards to Live I personally only couldn't get on for a couple of hours and I've been playing all my digital games without any problems. Maybe some people had it worse, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as PS owners have had it.

I managed to connect last night for the first time since before Christmas day after trying the MTU change. (May have been a coincidence as there was talk of it being back online.) I left the PS4 in 'rest mode' and was still connecting ok this morning. Maybe rest mode keeps your connection active?