Film adaptations you'd love to be made

The success of Interstellar with its epic scope and Guardians of the Galaxy with its self deprecating humour and sense of adventure made me think that, yes, Iain M Banks' novels could translate very well to the silver screen in the right hands. What do you think? And what would you like to see and why (and why hasn't it been done yet?).

I'd love to see

Pratchett & Gaiman's 'Good Omens' made by Edgar Wright (with David Tennant and Michael Fassbender in the leads)

James Ellroy's 'The Big Nowhere' made by Michael Mann or Martin Scorcese

Lewis Grassic Gibbon's 'Sunset Song' made by Terrence Malick

Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' made by Ti West

Alan Moore & Melinda Gebbie's 'Lost Girls' made by Steven Soderberg

• Upvote 1

What is The Book?

When Jodorowsky was preparing Dune he put together a massive book of drawings and storyboards to try and sell the film to US producers. Moebius did the storyboards and I think Chris Foss did the cover. It features a lot in the Jodorowskys Dune documentary. It's about the size of two phonebooks and looks incredible. There was only a few copies printed.

19gtlwjphblffjpg.jpg

• Upvote 2

When Jodorowsky was preparing Dune he put together a massive book of drawings and storyboards to try and sell the film to US producers. Moebius did the storyboards and I think Chris Foss did the cover. It features a lot in the Jodorowskys Dune documentary. It's about the size of two phonebooks and looks incredible. There was only a few copies printed.

19gtlwjphblffjpg.jpg

Wish they print and sell it.

I adore Moebius and it pains me that this hasn't been shared since he invested a shit load of time towards the project.

Not sure I'd want it as a film, more as a quirky BBC TV series, but the Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin has always struck me as something that would be great fun to see on the box.

I should point out that the first book in the series - The Antipope - is probably my favourite book ever, so I'm largely biased.

Other than that, I'd love to see Larry Niven's Ringworld book brought to life on the big screen, but knowing what those big dumb fucks like to do to these things, it'd probably be butchered and changed an awful lot.

Number 9 Dream - seems a much better shout than Cloud Atlas, which although I quite liked it, proved to be borderline unfilmable. Not sure who'd be best to take the helm. Christopher Nolan, maybe?

I've still not seen Cloud Atlas, although I love the book! Recommend?

World War Z. And not a shit version where Brad Pitt gets to save the world, but one where each individual story was told.

Peter Jackson. In 6 movies. Plus Extended Directors Cuts of each.

Total of 20 hours. Or something.

Enjoy the thought of Tom Hanks with a shit Scottish accent and Agent Smith dressed as Mrs Doubtfire?

Then Yes.

• Upvote 2

Not sure I'd want it as a film, more as a quirky BBC TV series, but the Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin has always struck me as something that would be great fun to see on the box.

I should point out that the first book in the series - The Antipope - is probably my favourite book ever, so I'm largely biased.

Definitely. It's due time someone did something with them.

House of Leaves is a good choice for me, although it's hardly the easiest movie to adapt well as the author's always said. I think it needs someone to use and manipulate the structure of film successfully in the same way the book used the text and pages itself. I have no idea how it would turn out, though.

It's a bit of a mess, but an admirable mess. There are some decidedly ropey elements to it, as mentioned above, but I definitely enjoyed it as some of the stories are captured well. I'd give it a go if you enjoyed the book.

Battle Angel Alita

Seems like every couple of years, someone asks James Cameron about that in interviews, and he replies that he's still planning to do it after he's finished with the Avatar movies.

Then he goes and announces another Avatar sequel.