52 Games - 1 Year Challenge 2015

DarkCrisis

Inspired by Neogaf I thought it would be fun to do a RLLMUK 2015 52 Games - 1 Year Challenge.

Play and finish 52 games within 2015 and tell us how you're doing and what you thought of each completed game.

Claim a post and update us on your progress.

FAQ:

How do I know when I completed a game?

That is up to you, it could be simply seeing the credits or getting all the trophies/achievements.

Any other rules?

No other rules, have fun and see if you can play 52 games in one year.

Good luck and have fun....

Completed

02/01/2015 - Shovel Knight - 3DS - Been wanting to play this since its release and I finally brought it at christmas, completed in 10:25:41 with 80% items collected. Enjoyed it a lot even though I found the ending pretty hard, I'm not bothered about trying to 100% it as I would rather concentrate on other games. 8/10

In Progress

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - Got halfway through when first released on DS thought I would give it another go with the recent re-release on 3DS. On case 3 and enjoying so far.

Zelda A Link Between Worlds - 3DS - Its my first 2D zelda I have played. I've just opened up Lorule, good fun!

Zelda Wind Waker HD - WII U - Started this back in June and have been playing it off and on for the past 6 months, I feel I am nearing the end now and just want to finish it to say I have completed a Zelda game from start to finish. I spent to much time on the side quests when I should have concentrated on the main game so a little bored of it now.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - WII U - Another game I have been playing off and on since the summer, I like playing this game but only in short bursts as it can be a little frustrating at times.

Far Cry 4 - PS4 - Brought on release but been concentrating on Nintendo platforms recently with my girlfriend watching a lot of christmas TV.

COD AW - PS4 - Brought on release rinsed the MP but haven't touched the SP yet, I'm sure I will get to the single player campaign at some point.

Future Games

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All - 3DS

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - 3DS

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - 3DS

Zelda Ocarina Of Time - 3DS

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS

Mario Golf World Tour - 3DS

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - Wii U

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - PS4

Can we count games we started playing in 2014 but finished this year?

If so I'm counting Halo:CE (on Heroic) as my first game completed. Finished that this morning, first time I've actually completed it - never got too far into it on original release.

Can we count games we started playing in 2014 but finished this year?

If so I'm counting Halo:CE (on Heroic) as my first game completed. Finished that this morning, first time I've actually completed it - never got too far into it on original release.

Yeah its fine that you started the game last year as long you completed it in 2015..

52 is a massive achievement.. Most I've managed in previous years is around 30 titles.

Having said that my gaming resolution this year is to just "enjoy" playing games again, and to not get too tied up having to rinse them or seeing sub-par titles through to the end. This is quite at odds with my OCDstyle gaming habits so will be interesting to see how I get on.

52 isn't too hard. I managed:

2005 - 53

2006 - 45

2007 - 61

2008 - 33

2009 - 43

2010 - 35

2011 - 68

2012 - 39

2013 - 39

2014 - 58

The thing is, the years where I've completed fewer have been mostly down to a big game taking all my time. e.g. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, etc.

I'm not sure I completed any games in 2014, except for Spelunky and that takes 20 minutes.

I'm sure I did, really, but man, 52 would be seriously impressive. Maybe I'll see what I can do. I'm near the end of Peggle 2 (that counts, right?) and I just started Ico, that's pretty short. I could get to an ending of Papers, Please quite soon. That counts too, right? I dunno if I play the right kinds of games these days, basically. I like short stuff you can play over and over and improve - Race the Sun a current addiction. Theatrhythm is the only thing I'm playing a lot at the moment and there's nothing to "complete." The only story-based thing I've got on the go is Bravely Default and that's nowhere near done nor will it be.

So, er, yeah. Respect to anyone that has the time and money and will to do this!

For me it would be a recipe for hating playing games. It would quickly become a chore and after a while I'd invariably be playing easy short games that otherwise I'd have no intention of ever playing simply to beat them. Best of luck for anyone who does decide to do this, but I'm out.

I did this last year and found it a great way to focus on my backlog, I got through a ton of stuff I'd acquired and never really devoted time to because something else came along. I finished Super Metroid and Mega Man games for the first time, got into the Phoenix Wright and Disgaea series properly and completed games like Okami and Fez that had sat partially done for years. I can see how people can think it'd be a recipe for disaster or hating games but my experience of actually doing it was the opposite, it was very fulfilling to be able to complete a bunch of stuff and with a one hour commute each day it wasn't difficult to find enough time to do it.

Here's a site I found useful - http://www.howlongtobeat.com

Will give it a go as it will give me an incentive to actually play some of my pile of shame. I'm actually off to a good start, having completed two games this very morning!

Hyrule Warriors

Status Seen the credits after finishing legend mode, but still so much more to do!

A Dynasty Warriors game with a Nintendo lick of paint, many will dismiss this as a mindless button mashmasher, but it's got surprising depth and insane replayability. I've not played a DW game since the one released close to the ps2 launch, but I've found this to be a great dip in and out type game; have a couple of battles and then play something else. I've enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to tackling adventure mode and playing as some other characters.

New Super Mario Bros Wii U

Status Completed every level, but not going back to get all the coins

This was an odd one; it came bundled with the Wii u I got for father's day and I was looking forward to playing it as I'd heard good things (some on this very forum exclaiming it as the best 2D platformed ever), and at first impressions met those expectations. But fairly quickly (around world 4 or 5), I began to get bored. The music on each level is extremely repetitive, I don't like the speed-run nature of it, I found collecting some coins and some of the levels to be on the wrong side of frustrating and, if I'm completely honest, I think I prefer Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, which is nicer looking, has more personality, more level variation and far better music. Needless to say, I won't be bothering with the Luigi levels.

Coming soon - hopefully!

GTA V

Dragon Age Inquisition

Shadows of Mordor

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

Killzone

Halo Master Chief Collection

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Super Mario 3D World

Just to note, I set myself a challenge to complete as many games as possible in 2010 and it was a horrible year looking back. I ended up rushing through great games just to move onto the next, then playing any old shit just to rack up numbers. I would also think about games when I was out or doing anything other than playing games in my free time, like I just wanted to get back to my stupid list. Horrible.

Have fun xx

New Super Mario Bros Wii U

Status Completed every level, but not going back to get all the coins

This was an odd one; it came bundled with the Wii u I got for father's day and I was looking forward to playing it as I'd heard good things (some on this very forum exclaiming it as the best 2D platformed ever), and at first impressions met those expectations. But fairly quickly (around world 4 or 5), I began to get bored. The music on each level is extremely repetitive, I don't like the speed-run nature of it, I found collecting some coins and some of the levels to be on the wrong side of frustrating and, if I'm completely honest, I think I prefer Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, which is nicer looking, has more personality, more level variation and far better music. Needless to say, I won't be bothering with the Luigi levels.

The Challenge Mode of New Super Mario Bros U is where it really comes into its own. You should definitely give that a try before dismissing it. Some of the challenges are very much speed run in nature though, so you may not be as into those as I was!

No chance. By the end I was far too impatient and died dozens of times because I was rushing to finish a level, and found the latter half of the game incredibly frustrating. I also hate how it only let's you save after you beat a midpoint or endpoint castle, as there have been numerous times where I turned the machine off in frustration and lost a couple of levels worth of progress.

Completed

Little Big Planet 3 - PS4 (not 100% but completed the story mode which I'm claiming)

In Progress

Assassins Creed: Black Flag - PS4 Playing and enjoying with my much better half but will likely take a while as we synch up our schedules to find time to play together.

Mercenary Kings - PS4 Picking off missions here and there when I've got time. Will get to the end eventually

Walking Dead S2 - MAC - About halfway through ep3 at this point

Papers, Please - Steam (Have unlocked some of the endings...not sure how many I will need in order to convince myself I've played it enough to log it as 'complete')

This seems like a great way to suck all the fun out of playing games :huh: A couple of years ago I would have had a bash at this, but towards the end of last year I decided to abandon the idea that I should play all the good games that come out (which is basically impossible) and just focus on playing the ones I really like the look of, and playing them a lot.

This seems like a great way to suck all the fun out of playing games :huh: A couple of years ago I would have had a bash at this, but towards the end of last year I decided to abandon the idea that I should play all the good games that come out (which is basically impossible) and just focus on playing the ones I really like the look of, and playing them a lot.

If anything, I've had more fun from replaying games than new ones - more the previous couple of years, but repeat runs through games like Bayonetta, Binary Domain, Lollipop Chainsaw, Dishonored and the like have been great.

So yeah, 52 games in a year doesn't appeal to me. But good luck to the OP, anyway - some people like a challenge.

Edit: and maybe if I was unemployed. I rarely get time to play a game to completion in a month, let alone a week. So even 12 in a year would be a challenge!

• 1 month later...