Warframe - Call of the Tempestarii out now (includes Series X/S upgrade)

I love Warframe. I haven't played it in a while just because I tend to rotate around GaaS games but I've got a few hundred hours in it (which is chump change compared to some) but the development reminds me of the bit in The Wrong Trousers where Gromit is just laying the tracks before the locomotive. At any point the game could come off the rails because it's all so wobbly and convoluted yet they somehow manage to keep it going.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

I've been thinking about trying this out. How's the PS5 update, and how is the onboarding for new players?

I would have though someone like @Flub would have responded by now. Warframe used to be mega obtuse. They put a new beginning to the game in so I've no idea how it is at explaining stuff now. I expect it's better bit still be ready to reach for YouTube for beginners guides.

What I will say is there aren't many f2p games that give you as much game for as little real money investment that Warframe does. You just have to be prepared to climb that initial cliff face of "what the fuck is going on?"

• 3 months later...

Coinciding with the game's 8th anniversary, Update 30 was released yesterday on all platforms, introducing a new story quest, a spooky new frame called Sevagoth, and some of the most generously rewarding new content I've ever seen in the game. But what I really want to highlight is the new song that features as part of the new quest. It's something of a space-shanty, and I think it's pretty catchy:

Spoiler

• metallicfrodo changed the title to Warframe - Call of the Tempestarii out now (includes Series X/S upgrade)

The Xbox Series X version is very, very pretty!

Fighting the urge to dip in to the somewhat overwhelming upgrades, options and just, well, so much stuff.

Anyone recommend a good beginners guide?

46 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

The Xbox Series X version is very, very pretty!

Fighting the urge to dip in to the somewhat overwhelming upgrades, options and just, well, so much stuff.

Anyone recommend a good beginners guide?

iFlynn and BBKDRAGOON guides on youtube got me started. 

You will want your mobile or a laptop/tablet handy at all times though to work out how to do alot of stuff as well.

Played this last night to see what the it's now like on the Series X. It does look pretty stunning now and the reduced load times are amazing. I've put hundreds of hours into it previously however I don't think I've played it in a couple of years now, and my goodness is it impenetrable. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, they have obviously made a load of QoL changes and all the menu screens etc look a lot nicer but it's just so dense. I'm just not sure I can be bothered to do all the necessary internet research to work out what the hell I need to do. I did go to Demios and start that quest and I did like that area and the presentation of the story, but I think I lost what was supposed to be going on with the story so long ago that it just ended up going way over my head.

On 14/04/2021 at 22:00, Orion said:

You will want your mobile or a laptop/tablet handy at all times though to work out how to do alot of stuff as well.

Heck, it's probably worth having your mobile phone around for the Warframe App. Getting notifications on when you can get some of the more important materials (like Orokin Reactors - at least, I think that's what they're called, it's been a while since I played) and being able to stick things in the crafting bench remotely and check on when they're done is extremely handy given how long most weapons and frames take to cook.

Just bung a load in, do some other shit for the rest of the day, and come back after to play with some new abilities and guns over a weekend is a very good balance.

I haven't played anything in a while though - Definitely well before Combat 2.0 and the initial Railjack xpac actually came out. some of that stuff might have changed, for better or worse!

I know you can't miss the Archwing. I've never bothered with the Railjack.

*Edit* From memory building the archwing is a series of missions you have to do to progress through the system map at a certain point. You definitely can't miss it. Railjack is probably a quest I never did.

2 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Can anyone familiar with the game clarify when you get access to the Archwing and Railjack? Are they both gated behind your level so I cant miss them?

To get yourself an Archwing, you'll need to complete the story quest called "The Archwing", which becomes available as soon as you unlock access to Mars. That's fairly early on, but I think you'll have to manually start the quest from your codex.

To build your own Railjack, you'll need to complete the "Rising Tide" quest, which requires you to have completed the quest "The Second Dream", which is available when you get to Neptune. However, you don't need your own Railjack to take part in Railjack missions; you only need an Archwing for that.

I cant put my finger on why but I think I'm enjoying this.

Absolute bobbins, utterly bewildering layers of gameplay and it looks great. However, the enemies are little more than barely moving blocks and I cant shake the feeling that I could get through most levels by just spamming buttons and jumping around like an idiot.

While that's entirely subjective Warframe very much has an enjoyable gameplay loop. The grind is very real but it's good fun. It has its problems but what f2p game doesn't? I did find using anything other than the ignis a massive waste of time, mind.

The 8 year anniversary event has kicked off, full details here: https://www.warframe.com/news/8-year-anniversary

In summary, there are going to be a series of special "alert" missions made available over the next few weeks offering a selection of special gear, including weapon slots which are normally only purchased with platinum. The next four weekends will feature double credit or double affinity events, which stack with any boosters (so if you've got a 2x booster you'll be earning 4x instead over that weekend).

Also, if you've thought about buying any platinum, then you could do a lot worse than picking up the game's "Initiate Pack" if you haven't already. It'll be 50% off across all platforms for the next month.