rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangle

Drift Stage - Influenced by Outrun 2, Daytona USA and Ridge Racer. On Kickstarter now!

ea467d4ea9380d276a68052c5451ab99_large.p

So this is amazing, and it deserves more coverage (in my opinion). They're looking for $30,000 and they've already got over half that within a day. There's no mention of stretch goals yet, personally I'd love to see it come to Vita.

Drift Stage is a modern take on the classic arcade racer. Paying homage to the eras that birthed the genre, Drift Stage features a unique art style, blending pixel art and 3D models to create a colorful and vibrant world to race in. Focusing on easy to pick up gameplay with enough depth to keep dedicated race fans satisfied, Drift Stage hopes to bring back the blend of pure fun and challenge that was a staple of arcade classics.

44926002eb6af2c2ce679c090103bdbc_large.p

Drifting is the key to victory in the world of Drift Stage. Races become duels of wits and technique, with the deciding factor often coming down to split second timing on the entry or exit of the turn. Featuring an original drifting style inspired by games like Outrun 2, Ridge Racer, and Daytona USA, Drift Stage can make for both fun casual racing and intense second shaving battles.

a41126a76116b60fc3f9744a38fed53c_large.p

Building on the classic modes everyone has come to know and love, Drift Stage plans to include multiple new game types utilizing modern game design techniques, such as an infinite drift mode incorporating a procedurally generated course with checkpoints, as well as a decal system, allowing you to personalize your car with custom images.
  • Single Race

A conventional single player race against AI opponents.

• Time Trial

Race against staff ghosts and your personal best as well as your friends' best online leaderboard times.

• Infinite Drift

Checkpoint style races on a randomly generated track.

• Daily Challenges

Challenge your friends in a time/score based daily challenge.

• Career Mode

Choose your racer and follow their story across multiple races.

• Workshop

Create custom tracks in an in-game editor and customize your cars with decals.

• Local & Online Multiplayer

Drift Stage features local split screen up to four players, just like the old days, in addition to online racing.

There's a playable demo available here and even in the early alpha state, it's hugely enjoyable. The demo even has a photo mode in it already, so it's already way better than Driveclub!

driftstage-2015-01-10-12-45-02-44.png?w=

driftstage-2015-01-10-12-43-24-74.png?w=

• Upvote 3

Sorry, that looks ugly.

Yeah, I see what they're aiming for, but for now it just looks like an ugly mid-90s PC racer with all the colours messed up. Retro graphics done wrong.

So I'm in the minority thinking it looks ace? :( Thankfully it plays brilliantly too, spent a good while just racing around the demo track knocking milliseconds off my time. If they manage to get all the promised content into the final release, it should be great. It already feels 'right' so they've got the most important thing down already.

Ci5cfEJ.gif

Quite funny comparing this thread to the overwhelmingly positive Neogaf one.

• Upvote 2

it looks like a free iPhone game

driving games are notoriously difficult to get right - and even when you get a couple of hugely funded expensively developed titles on the latest consoles people still argue about if they are crap or brilliant.

What ever happened to that other kickstarter racer that was like a Daytona knock off, was all about "sega blue skies" and rllmuk were going to appear on the billboards at some point.

Can't remember what it was called at all though. Did it ever get made?

I like the look, but as I said in another thread the 'pop' in and out of drift is poor, in my opinion, and needs a lot of tweaking. And I speak as someone who's just been nerding it up with various Ridge games and Outrun 2006, so examples of it done right (read: perfectl) are pretty fresh in my mind.

Will wait for feedback on the full game from the KS backers, before laying cash down.

Memories: Nineties Arcade Racer, and it's still (! Still!) in development.

• Upvote 1

What ever happened to that other kickstarter racer that was like a Daytona knock off, was all about "sega blue skies" and rllmuk were going to appear on the billboards at some point.

Can't remember what it was called at all though. Did it ever get made?

"The 90s Arcade Racer" by Nicalis/Pelikan? I think it still exists (there was an update on the Kickstarter page last December), but updates have just been fairly infrequent...

• Upvote 1

Yeah checked the kickstarted page for it a few weeks ago, progress is VERY slow, which is a real shame as its looks great!

The problem with this is it doesn't look stylish. I don't know how it handles but between those two you've got to get the feel nailed on to make a game like this work.

Another thing I find about the alpha that I didn't mention is that it severely punishes collisions and continually wants you to drift around corners - like Outrun 2, you can move around corners much more easily if you're going sideways (trying to make it around corners in the regular fashion is near-impossible on some bends), but your speed quickly plummets if you bump into the walls. Again, it's the same mentality of later Ridge games where one mistake can be massively costly. That's not to say it can't be enjoyed at a more casual level - the controls are quick to pick up and the exaggerated movement ensures that it's always nice and arcadey - but slight errors can ruin laps. Happily, this makes the successful laps all the more satisfying. :)

Another thing I find about the alpha that I didn't mention is that it severely punishes collisions and continually wants you to drift around corners - like Outrun 2, you can move around corners much more easily if you're going sideways (trying to make it around corners in the regular fashion is near-impossible on some bends), but your speed quickly plummets if you bump into the walls. Again, it's the same mentality of later Ridge games whidg Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 Ridge Racer Type 4 :)

Sorry what? You lost me there.

• Upvote 2

Reminds me of the time we had to fire an artist (at Software Creations in the 90's) because it turned out he was colour blind.

Colour blind artists and designers are common. Not a problem with Pantone/RAL colours and an understanding of colour theory. Was that the only reason you sacked the artist?

Having seen the vid and gif I think I'd prefer to just play Automodellesta on PS2:

AC5CCF82-E393-4EBA-9429-F93B067501B0.jpg

Bloody hell, that was a good game. Between this and watching A Scanner Darkly last night, I don't know why the technique isn't used more.

That all looks very Initial D. Hmm.

Their music person is on form though. He/she definitely knows how to produce Japanese 90s arcade racing tunes.

• Upvote 1

Some of these screens look like it's running on a CGA monitor :)

I think the terrible garishness is actually pretty good.

I'm not completely offended by the visuals. It's a style, and style is good in games. However, I've seen some very odd twitter reactions proclaiming it to be the second coming!?

Looking at the vid there seems little to no driving physics in yet and the road width is incredibly tight? And that's about it. Basically they just have a visual style (I'm not knocking it, that's hard enough to achieve as it is) at the moment, let's see how the actual fun driving part pans out..