Total War: Warhammer

Moz

I've no idea why this exists, Game Workshop stuff is dying in popularity due to shitty management, Warhammer Fantasy was never the popular one and they're literally going to implode this setting and game, turning it into a different type of game where various "reality bubbles" fly around and crash into each other and the people in them have fights or something.

So congrats Creative Assembly, you've got a shitty dead license instead of something new you could have made?

They picked up the licence ages ago, I think, just not announced yet. I have no interest in this game, though. Historical settings >>> generic fantasy.

And as for the multiplayer spinoff, bah, the multiplayer in Shogun 2 was genuinely fantastic and they fucked it in Rome 2.

CA are a funny developer. They are effectively Sega's main flagship studio at this point, I suppose.

I've only ever played the Dawn of War games and their expansion packs and am currently playing through DaW II co-op. I sort of enjoyed that third-person Warhammer game but never finished it. This seems like something I'd enjoy though. Seems like a good fit for the Warhammer franchise.

"Game Workshop stuff is dying in popularity due to shitty management"

Good, as ever, to see some solid informed opinion on the internet, RubberJohnny.

Didn't they hire a bunch of people to fill roles that were already filled? Or at least advertise a load of filled management positions as being vacant in order to put the willies up the management? I'm sure I read that somewhere a while back when I was looking at buying the new Space Hulk.

It makes sense, Total War folk and GW folk will buy any old respectively branded shite, might as well find the areas of the audience which don't overlap.

I smell blood! It's a shame he's a man or we could hound him out of his home. #tabletopgamergate

Well, a quick Google reveals GW's profits feel 42% last year. Not very swell...

I still feel at LEAST 42% last year. The amount of times I've written "2014" instead of "2015"! Ooh I am a one :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The trailer brought back memories of Warhammer tabletop battles a friend and I used to play 30years ago.

Fun times as my friend used to make rules up as he went along, or I was just crap at the game - his drunk giant collapsed killing loads of my infantry in the process. Priceless!

Fun times as my friend used to make rules up as he went along, or I was just crap at the game - his drunk giant collapsed killing loads of my infantry in the process. Priceless!

That sounds about right ;)

Has there been any news about how how many of the races are going to be in it (at least initially)?

they're literally going to implode this setting and game, turning it into a different type of game where various "reality bubbles" fly around and crash into each other and the people in them have fights or something.

So congrats Creative Assembly, you've got a shitty dead license instead of something new you could have made?

So yeah, this literally happened since then. A bunch of factions and stuff in the Total War game are no longer are getting made or supported in the game it's based on LOL.

• 9 months later...

I used to play the Games Workshop stuff in my early teens and loved the setting and lore; so when I first played Shogun Total War one of my first thoughts were that they should make a Warhammer version. Does anyone remember "Mighty Empires"? That was essentially a Warhammer: Total War board game that got scrapped after one version I think to some licensing issues with Risk(?).

Since I haven't played Warhammer for nigh on 25 years I don't really care that the Total War game won't reflect the current license; one of the reasons I stopped playing was the fact they re-invented the rules and settings of their games seemingly all the time in order to make you "re-buy" all the stuff I'd just spent time and money getting. To a cash starved 13/14 year old that shit gets old real quick.

I also used to play when it was Warhammer 3rd edition, which was a bit more "sandboxey", for want of a better word, and whilst all the top level stuff was set out (ie The Empire, the Chaos Gods etc) it was left up to you to invent you're own heroes and back story.

I was one of the "chumps" who pre-ordered due to wanting the Chaos faction and I don't regret a thing even if it turns out to be a buggy mess!

That 'in engine' trailer still looked more like the intro to a total war game rather than footage from the actual 'strategy/ battle map' (no idea what it's really called, evidently) or am I just being a non-believer?

I don't know any of the warhammer stuff and stopped playing any GW stuff after Space and Hero Crusade way back in the 90s but I do like a bit of the Total War series, so I'm hoping it's a good 'un. As far as I can tell from reviews and stuff, they've gone a bit down hill but I'm still playing a bit of Shogun 2 every now and then.

Attila was great, so their last release was decent. There's been a lot of intake footage released as well and that's all looked pretty good. I am looking forward to it, but not massively, as I think it may have issues at release just due to amount of new systems in it.

Nice little gameplay video of this. I really fancy it as although RTS isn't my thing, I adore the (original) Warhammer world. 

But Overwatch comes out the same week and then there is Uncharted 4 and I've only just bought Stellaris..

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing I've picked up from the reviews is that people who just want to move chess peices around and fight in big battles finally have a proper "in" with the Green Skin faction in this game.

Apparently, you just need to fight, move, fight, upgrade some stuff, fight, defend, fight, upgrade, in-fight etc etc.

No marrying your mum, or trading cotten, or signing trade agreements or all that other stuff.

That stuff might be fun when you know what you're doing, but it seems for ages that whole element of the game has been shoved right in your stupid noob face with these games. This seems a lot better, and of course gives you the opportunity to do all that stuff and more with the other factions.

43 minutes ago, Ale Crow said:

The best thing I've picked up from the reviews is that people who just want to move chess peices around and fight in big battles finally have a proper "in" with the Green Skin faction in this game.

Apparently, you just need to fight, move, fight, upgrade some stuff, fight, defend, fight, upgrade, in-fight etc etc.

No marrying your mum, or trading cotten, or signing trade agreements or all that other stuff.

That stuff might be fun when you know what you're doing, but it seems for ages that whole element of the game has been shoved right in your stupid noob face with these games. This seems a lot better, and of course gives you the opportunity to do all that stuff and more with the other factions.

That sounds like the horde stuff from Attilla and if so, that didn't really work at all. You spent a lot of time doing nothing and eventually it just peters out. I assume it's changed a bit, but it is fairly inherent.

That said, the weird multiplier systems for Total War normally are the least coherent system in the world, so there is a hint of swings and roundabouts.