Total War: Warhammer

Moz

You can auto resolve. I've not done it yet (never played a TW game before so I'm trying to get a feel for the units) but the button has been there for every fight for me so far. Two little entwined circular arrows bottom middle.

I always set out to play all the battles , and never last very long :) End up auto resolving all of them. 

Saying that I did go through a phase of using siege weapons to hammer those armies that refuse to attack you. Beat some ridiculous odds by blasting them at long range and the AI never cottoned on to charging me when they would have won easily.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I really like the period so Rome 2 sounds best. Cheers!

Attila with the Charlemagne campaign pack. Rome 2 is still a bit of a mess in places, Attila is much the better game. Of the earlier ones Napoleon was good. I didn't play Shogun 2 that much but it's highly thought of.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

You can auto resolve. I've not done it yet (never played a TW game before so I'm trying to get a feel for the units) but the button has been there for every fight for me so far. Two little entwined circular arrows bottom middle.

On normal battles yes, you can auto resolve but quest battles that are part of your legendary lord's quest chain, you're forced to actually fight the battle.(or at least seems so)

In the past I've generally auto resolved as my computer could run the strategy side but not cope with the battles. As it is, this time around my computer is up to the job.

Just seems an odd decision forcing people to do battles (or indeed anything) when 90% of the time the option is there.

6 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Attila with the Charlemagne campaign pack. Rome 2 is still a bit of a mess in places, Attila is much the better game. Of the earlier ones Napoleon was good. I didn't play Shogun 2 that much but it's highly thought of.

That.

Attilla is basically Total War: Greatest Hits by being set in the mid-ground between Rome and Medieval. It was actually released essentially working, so it's a good 'un.

It's pretty good this. They've finally given up trying to make a decent tutorial and just put 90 minutes worth of tutorial Youtube videos embedded into the game. I've started the main campaign three times, if you attempt to follow the "guidance" given by the advisor you'll have no fun at all in a variety of different ways. "Do this thing for a weapon!". Does the thing, gets the weapon. "Now take this encampment!". Takes the encampment. Next turn a massive army comes out of nowhere and puts the encampment to siege. Um, OK. Well that's my only army, so I can't do anything. Click next turn. Entire army dies, item from step one gets stolen. Lol. Second time I encounter an entirely different set of stupid events that demonstrate the advisor guidance is completely detached (at odds, even) from the AI players. Third time going OK so far. I think.

Main gripe I have so far is the fact that the main quest chain seems to have a diplomatic condition first up, and I can't get the faction to ally with me under any circumstances. That's pretty fucking annoying. Another is the hero's having the elephant auto resolve bug, where they seem to lose a lot more HP than you would think they do. Lost a level 6 Bright Wizard to that.

My main gripe, and I'm sure it's been explained properly in official forums, which can be levelled at a lot of strategy games (including Stellaris which I'm also currently playing) is the AI's ability to pump out unit after unit with a seemingly bottomless bank balance. Even a close ally of mine who has one province, seems to be churning armies out left right and centre.

I started playing the orc campaign but have switched to the Undead Counts as I was finding it quite hard to build any kind of empire with them. It feels like the orc armies need to be kept on the move so that they don't in fight but with so many armies knocking about, it's really easy to loose a settlement.

I also don't like the fact you can't recruit units and send them to the front line without having a hero lead them. I had a quick look online and that seems to have been introduced in last few Total Wars and isn't specific to Warhammer.

After all that I am enjoying it, I just haven't played a more recent Total War so my mind is stuck a few versions behind.

17 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Main gripe I have so far is the fact that the main quest chain seems to have a diplomatic condition first up, and I can't get the faction to ally with me under any circumstances. That's pretty fucking annoying. Another is the hero's having the elephant auto resolve bug, where they seem to lose a lot more HP than you would think they do. Lost a level 6 Bright Wizard to that.

Playing Empire seems a lot like playing every other Total War, endless bickering between human factions. Except now you've got the white walkers forces of chaos mustering in the north. The problem I've found all three times I try and play the Empire is that the AI races around you are annoying as fuck. Some of them just won't deal with you under any circumstances, even if you carefully micromanage your relationship and are always "improving" with them. I can't ally with some of them and I can't attack the others without pissing off my allies. If you expand too quickly (as it tells you to do) you're stretched too thin to fight chaos and the vamps at once. If you turtle up and concentrate on fewer larger armies and settlements, you're always on the ropes from fighting. And still the goons around you won't deal with you. "NO, BEGONE!" they say as the forces of chaos are literally eating their citizens alive and you're trying to form a military alliance with them :lol: 

Gonna restart on easy to learn more of the later game. I've already gotten far further in this one than most TW games, so that's a good sign. The tutorial videos are really helping. I never learned to play it back in the day, so I find the battles too confusing. "paper beats rock" says the tutorial. The game immediately gives you 8 types of paper and 7 types of rock. But I feel like persevering with this one because it's less dry and seems a lot less buggy than the others. 

I'm really enjoying this.  Not got very far because I keep restarting but I've tried Grimgor (twice), Thorgrim, Manfred and Karl Franz out.  My only gripes so far are enemy heroes just repetitively assassinating everything in their path (thankfully there are already loads of mods to stop this) and how quests/grudges generation seems to be designed to be maximally annoying.  For example as dwarfs, the orcs are my most pressing concern but every grudge I get is against VC or even worse Empire who I share no borders with and barely any contact with.  When I did try to settle those grudges I just got even more there.  Pretty much everything else I really like.  Lords/heroes with their spells/special abilities really adds a different dynamic in battles.  There's loads of other improvements since I last played a TW game properly and it all adds up to a really fun game - I just need to pick a race/lord and stick with it now!

This is great - exactly what I'd hoped for - but jeez, it's dense. So much going on and they really expect you to pick it up and run with it fairly quickly. It's my second total war game, the first being Shogun 2 and whilst I enjoyed it, I didn't play it for more than a couple of hours. I think the fantasy setting of this is much more my speed, despite not being into Warhammer as a brand.

So yeah, enjoying playing as the Vampire Counts, not really sure what I'm doing, but I seem to be winning more by luck than judgement.

loving this but fuck me the learning curve is proper steep if this is the first one youve played.

Noob question but can you only put your Army into one stance per turn? Also its not very well explained about upgrading your settlement, does the population grow automatically? I cant seem to build anything?

If you hover over the growth part of the province window it should show you the different things factoring into the rate of growth.  

Enjoying this a lot. Mighty manfred has been putting in work but the serious chaos lads are on the doorstep now. 

I keep getting gang banged by Sigvar The Magnificent, Archaon and the long necked Tzeentch looking vulture. One army of 20 is no match for 3x20 armies, even if you're a Dawi.

Brilliant game though. Absolutely love it.

2 hours ago, Faded said:

If you hover over the growth part of the province window it should show you the different things factoring into the rate of growth.  

Enjoying this a lot. Mighty manfred has been putting in work but the serious chaos lads are on the doorstep now. 

Cheers Faded will look at that.

I over-extended earlier, went for a mission I probably shouldn't have yet, to chase down a fleeing greenskin on the campaign map. Ended up in the underground tunnels ambushed by greenskin and things looked pretty rough but, thanks to some excellent battle tactics* and a timely reinforcement from another Dwarf clan I'd previously allied with, I managed to rout the enemy and win the victory, although it was close!

*making it up as I went, not knowing what the hell I was doing

On 30/05/2016 at 10:00 AM, Dave White said:

Noob question but can you only put your Army into one stance per turn?

It depends on the stance.  Encampment, Ambush and I think Raiding allow you to move a certain percentage of your movement before switching to them (see extended tooltips for exact numbers).  Ambush/raiding don't take effect until next turn so you can switch in and out without issue.  Encampment is the same except if you decide to recruit in which case if you want to switch out you'll need to cancel recruitment.  Tunnelling is a bit different and you basically have to do your whole movement in 1 go and you can't switch out until next turn once you've moved.  March is the most annoying, as far as I can tell if you move at all while in this stance then you can't switch out, even if you haven't used any of the extended movement range.  I wish there was an option to automatically drop out of March on next turn as I often accidentally forget to do so.  Basically though you can't gain the benefits of more than 1 stance per turn.

I completed a Dwarf campaign at the weekend.  I got kind of lucky when Chaos turned up in force.  They appeared just as I entirely destroyed the Vampire factions (except Mousillon but I hadn't even discovered them) so I had a bunch of armies in a good position to go after them.  At the same time I was really worried that a dwarf/border prince faction was going to turn on me due to deteriorating relationships and how many undefended territories I had but once Chaos show up everyone magically wants full alliances and trade agreements with the biggest military faction and damn any other factors!  My paranoia about being backstabbed by other factions though meant that armies ideally situated when Norscan stacks appeared on my coast.  Then when I faced the Chaos Legendary Lords they didn't really group their armies up so I could mostly put 2 stacks of mine against 1 of theirs.  2 of them intercepted me in tunnels (even though I didn't move that close) which was great because they couldn't get their cavalry behind me and just had to run onto my artilley/missile troops and then when I beat them they all got wiped out so no need to chase down remnants.  I think if I play another Dwarf campaign I'm going to abuse tunnelling way more.

I'm struggling with this, it suffers from all the problems that recent TW games suffer from, I also don't feel like its Warhammer particularly, just feels like all the other games. Maybe I need to advance further.

TBH I'm finding it bastard hard. One of my gripes with the more recent TW games is the distance units move. You can think everything is fine, then suddenly a massive army arrive out of no where and wipes out one of your cities and then vanishes again completely the next turn. It makes the whole thing feel quite random.

Back in the Medieval 2 days I always felt like I had a strategic overview of what was happening. In this stuff just happens.

I've started again 3 times (as Empire) trying to get a good start and each time I get fucked in a different way. It could be that I'm just shit, but I have completed Shogun 1, Medieval TW, Rome TW, Medieval 2, Rome 2 and Shogun 2. 

Maybe use heroes as scouts to reveal more of the map/spot advancing armies?  Won't be a guarantee of safety but I haven't had the problem you're experiencing, except when playing as dwarfs and it was blatantly my fault.  I knew the Orcs were just to the west of me but ignored the threat and sent my army east.

Yeah, can't say I've had armies do that either except Orcs when playing as Dwarfs but they do that due to being underground, which you can do or ambush them so it evens out.

I'm absolutely loving this BTW. I thought I'd be in trouble playing as the Vamps due to them not having any missile units but between bats, wolves and varghiests you can shred any archers/cavalry archer units in seconds, and then be out of there before anything stronger comes at me (bro).

The little touches are great too, like the text on the abilities your Hero units have. One is something like -5% attention or something and the text is "Look! A snotling over there with its arse out!"

I don't think I've had enemy armies come out of nowhere and attack in the same turn.  I've definitely been caught by surprise by tunnelling or ships though.  I have occasionally had a problem where I'm trying to catch an enemy and they're just as fast or a bit faster than me so I'm forever chasing and if I stop they replenish/raid/sack.  That said surprisingly often you can trick them by going into ambush stance and catch them when they run right back over you.

I've definitely found this one harder than previous TW games I've played, I barely played Attila though.

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

The little touches are great too, like the text on the abilities your Hero units have. One is something like -5% attention or something and the text is "Look! A snotling over there with its arse out!"

The orks are a national treasure as far as I'm concerned. Their dialogue is so endearing in all the Warhammer/40K videogames I've played. My personal favourite is the Ork Mekboy hero in DoW2 referring to Tyrannids as "Bleedin' scuttlers".

It's def playing as empire that makes it seem less "warhammer" the other races, but I have got a griffon now which is fun.

I got over the hump however and am enjoying it a bit more. I still get enemy armies that seem to be able to travel unfeasibly far. Also the AI always switches to march mode and runs away making it essentially impossible to catch them.  And the heros ! My god it was like a swarm of gnats!

It was all going well I was number one in strength and all the humans and dwarfs were falling over themselves to ally with me. I finally got the hang of managing my finances. 

Then I made the apparently fatal error of confederating with two neighbouring states. Suddenly my cash flow is -4000 per turn :( 

Looking on the steam forums, Agent spam and ai always been"just" out of range is quite a common complaint.

I think my current game as the undead counts is over, chaos have just sacked 2 of my settlements and my best army has just been decimated by a supporting chaos army whilst the chaos lord sits on my border in another 20stack. I blame the dwarves who where fucking about on my southern border sending in the odd army and then running away, fucking stunties.