Total War: Warhammer

Moz

I had something like that with the Benny Hill armies yesterday. I was literally standing next to a Chaos horde, full campaign stamina and no marching preference (as you can't initiate combat in full march) but it wouldn't let me attack and I don't know why. I ended up switching to ambush stance and hoping it would try and get past me but it's something I hope CA are going to patch soon, unless someone knows what I was doing wrong?

I try and counter the hero spam with one of my own. You can get quite a few just from doing quests so I always try and send them out into the world to mess with stuff so they can level up but yes, it is something else CA need to sort out. The fact that someone made a mod to sort it out on the first day of release shows that there is a bit of a problem there.

*edit* Forgot to add that not being able to attack the horde meant I didn't get a chance to play with my shiny new Black Coach in combat :(

I really wanted to see how a few mutant Scandinavians would deal with it, 2 Terrorgheists and a couple of Vargheists and Varghulfs :D

I did the campaign with chaos on hard about 4 times now, utterly failed the first 2 times, finished the long campaign the third try at 407 turns and finished the long campaign the 4th try at 213 turns. The 4th time had risen the varg to own the north for quick army repairs and I had 3 armies ready for the bringer of change around turn 120 and blasted him apart the second he turned up with an overwhelming force. 

Think I'll try the VC next, Chaos is just a ball ache because you constantly have to be on the attack for upkeep and it's difficult to keep yourself topped up with HP once you're further south. 

On 31/05/2016 at 11:37 AM, Strategos said:

I'm struggling with this, it suffers from all the problems that recent TW games suffer from, I also don't feel like its Warhammer particularly, just feels like all the other games. Maybe I need to advance further.

TBH I'm finding it bastard hard. One of my gripes with the more recent TW games is the distance units move. You can think everything is fine, then suddenly a massive army arrive out of no where and wipes out one of your cities and then vanishes again completely the next turn. It makes the whole thing feel quite random.

Back in the Medieval 2 days I always felt like I had a strategic overview of what was happening. In this stuff just happens.

I've started again 3 times (as Empire) trying to get a good start and each time I get fucked in a different way. It could be that I'm just shit, but I have completed Shogun 1, Medieval TW, Rome TW, Medieval 2, Rome 2 and Shogun 2. 

Try dwarves instead and don't be afraid to play on easy while you get your bearings. Worked for me! 

On 31 May 2016 at 11:37 AM, Strategos said:

I'm struggling with this, it suffers from all the problems that recent TW games suffer from, I also don't feel like its Warhammer particularly, just feels like all the other games. Maybe I need to advance further.

TBH I'm finding it bastard hard. One of my gripes with the more recent TW games is the distance units move. You can think everything is fine, then suddenly a massive army arrive out of no where and wipes out one of your cities and then vanishes again completely the next turn. It makes the whole thing feel quite random.

Back in the Medieval 2 days I always felt like I had a strategic overview of what was happening. In this stuff just happens.

I've started again 3 times (as Empire) trying to get a good start and each time I get fucked in a different way. It could be that I'm just shit, but I have completed Shogun 1, Medieval TW, Rome TW, Medieval 2, Rome 2 and Shogun 2. 

There's a mod that gives your armies more movement on your own territory which should help with catching the enemy. As the Empire I would go for Marienburg as soon as you can, makes a huge difference in income. Lots of defensive chain buildings as well means you don't really need to base armies in every province.

I'm on my ... 6th? Do over and have finally got it "right". Have expanded in a sustainable way, keeping the coffers full have 4 full stacks and am no 1 in military strength. Shold be plain sailing from here? Maybe ;) Enjoying it a lot more now I've got to grips with it and have adjusted to the different mechanics.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread up. Just got it last week. Enjoying it but haven't managed to get a multiplayer campaign going? There's a few that are supposedly compatible but then you click to join and it say's that they arent? 

I don't have any of the dlc's yet so it could be that? But I do click the tickbox that turns off dlc's that I don't have. Could it be anything else?

• 1 month later...

Picked this up in the Humble Bundle.  I finished Rome (the first one) years ago and there seem to be a lot of changes and it's got a lot harder, with no mini campaign tutorial either. I already messed up one medium campaign with the Dwarves - playing it after getting back from the pub probably wasn't the best idea.

So I started again and am doing a bit better but am still under pressure.

Part of me want to buy all the DLC armies because they are so cheap compared to getting the miniatures I lusted after back in the day. Must be several thousand pounds worth!

Picked up in the humble bundle as well. It's great. I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2 but don't feel it ever really clicked with me. Last one I was properly hooked on was the original Medieval TW!

I'm playing as the Dwarves as well - it's really cool how different they seem to be compared to the other faction (Greenskins) I've encountered so far. At first it seemed to me the Dwarves were overpowered since I was crushing the Greenskins fairly easily in the early battles, but then I realized I couldn't recruit any cavalry, or spearmen for that matter!? So Greenskins might be easy to break due to their low morale but I lost a battle recently because their cavalry just completely surrounded me, and I didn't have any units fast enough to hunt down their archers. So battles seem a bit more tactical than Shogun where I couldn't really tell the difference between faction units and always used similar tactics.

Also it does not seem the game has naval battles? Which is good because I thought those were pretty tedious.

Liking the strategic map stuff as well, seems a bit stripped down with less tedious micromanaging. Less armies is a good thing too - each battle matters more - and it's fun how the Dwarves have a big book to keep note of every grudge against other factions. Looking forward to trying the other factions and see how they play out. I know basically nothing about Warhammer and haven't read much about this game so it's full of fun little details I didn't see coming.

8 minutes ago, dirk_beefhammer said:

Picked up in the humble bundle as well. It's great. I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2 but don't feel it ever really clicked with me. Last one I was properly hooked on was the original Medieval TW!

I'm playing as the Dwarves as well - it's really cool how different they seem to be compared to the other faction (Greenskins) I've encountered so far. At first it seemed to me the Dwarves were overpowered since I was crushing the Greenskins fairly easily in the early battles, but then I realized I couldn't recruit any cavalry, or spearmen for that matter!? So Greenskins might be easy to break due to their low morale but I lost a battle recently because their cavalry just completely surrounded me, and I didn't have any units fast enough to hunt down their archers. So battles seem a bit more tactical than Shogun where I couldn't really tell the difference between faction units and always used similar tactics.

Also it does not seem the game has naval battles? Which is good because I thought those were pretty tedious.

Liking the strategic map stuff as well, seems a bit stripped down with less tedious micromanaging. Less armies is a good thing too - each battle matters more - and it's fun how the Dwarves have a big book to keep note of every grudge against other factions. Looking forward to trying the other factions and see how they play out. I know basically nothing about Warhammer and haven't read much about this game so it's full of fun little details I didn't see coming.

Are there not flying units though if you get the right buildings that would help with taking out archers?

I have only really played the empire so far so I can't say. I quite fancy getting the wood elves for my next race.

Just now, Luseth said:

Are there not flying units though if you get the right buildings that would help with taking out archers?

I have only really played the empire so far so I can't say. I quite fancy getting the wood elves for my next race.

That's true. I was looking at the building browser and can get the building to get Gyrocopters soon.

I wouldn't recommend them as an archer counter, quite the opposite. For dwarves the standard ranged counter would be more range - artillery to deal with archers, positioned so they have to come in range of gunners to fight back. 

Go for quarrelers. They shred just about any other archer unit in the game and they'll wipe the floor with greenskin early tier stuff. 

Recruit like 4 of them and point them at the enemies ranged. They'll be running in no time. 

Empire are probably the most rounded. They have decent infantry and very good cavalry and artillery. The tricky thing with them is that they're right in the middle of the map so you'll be in the thick of it. 

Dwarfs are also good because they're made for turtling and you're in the corner of the map with only the Greenskins to worry about at the start. 

Brettonia will be released for free on the 28th, can't argue with that price :) My favourites are the Skaven though, not sure they'll ever surface.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the Chaos Warriors pack before my Humble month runs out. Looks like another different campaign style. Has anyone played their campaign? How often do CA run sales?

Also I must say how suprisingly well this is running on my old Frankenbox, not bad for a 1st gen i7.

13 hours ago, artz said:

Brettonia will be released for free on the 28th, can't argue with that price :) My favourites are the Skaven though, not sure they'll ever surface.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the Chaos Warriors pack before my Humble month runs out. Looks like another different campaign style. Has anyone played their campaign? How often do CA run sales?

Also I must say how suprisingly well this is running on my old Frankenbox, not bad for a 1st gen i7.

I'd stay away from the Warriors of Chaos DLC if you haven't picked up the others yet. It came out when the game released and is by far the weakest of the race expansions. If you're after a horde mechanic I think the Beastmen are a lot better value. Elves & The King and The Warlord are also great DLCs. 

Also you can't use a hero to defend a city because they can only attach to Lords. The only way you can defend a city is by building up your garrison or have a Lord sit in it. 

Played a bit more yesterday and am starting to see why people say it's more difficult than the previous ones. Enemy AI seems quite aggressive on the strategy map. I hold six settlements as the dwarves but only have two armies (one full, one with 12/20), whereas the greenskins wiped out my neighbouring ally completely and seem to have at least ten settlements and constantly surround me atm with 4-5 big armies! Would train another Lord but don't really have the income to support anything but a really tiny extra army right now.

Anyway, it's a good game, and I like that's it's more challenging than I'm used to with the series, and has a bit of a learning curve. I think I might have been too slow to conquer territory early on, so I guess maybe I'll start over as I can't really defend properly atm.

44 minutes ago, artz said:

Yeah I'm doing better second time around. I've got two major problems with this at the moment: one is loading speed (might have to move to my cramped SSD or even buy another) and the other is that I keep waking up at night thinking about it :unsure:

Heh, sounds like the same problems I've had: I keep thinking about it when I'm not playing it - though for me loading times were improved and became tolerable after I lowered the textures from ultra to high.

I know I love Total War, but I forgot I loved Warhammer. Not too keen on anything invented after 3rd Edition mind. It works really well with the game though, even the Herohammer aspects and overpowered new units.  Also like that fact that there are 2 kinds of settlement so you can't take over the whole map and need allies instead. This will probably be the first Total War that I replay with different factions.

Also I still can't believe they've blown up the Warhammer world! Bastards.

• 2 weeks later...

How long do you take on your playthroughs of this? I racked up 90 hours for my run. The toughest opposition were the Wood Elves, I had some right old problems with them. The dreaded Chaos incursion however was a bit of an anticlimax - Archaon has his arse handed to him by the Empire long before I got to him. I'll take the credit though because I sorted out the Vampire Counts which were giving Karl Franz a right headache earlier in the game.

• 4 weeks later...