Total War: Warhammer

Moz

6 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

4 per game isn't it? Third one will be the undead types and ogres. Hope you can add it onto the existing one to make a huge map.

They've said you can do exactly that. Stick the two together and you get access to everything from both games and any DLC you have, along with a ridiculous mega campaign across both maps combined,.

I loved the first one. Played it for all of five minutes,  as I knew I would. I can never get into games such as these, but figured a more fantastical setting would make it easier. I could tell it was a brilliant game, but it still didn't quite get me. Too time consuming,  too difficult, too finicky and laborious. Still, I don't regret buying it one bit, much like I won't regret buying this new one :P

Lizard guys! And I'm assuming skaven! 

I'm expecting this to feel like a fancy expansion pack rather than anything different, but that's fine - Total Warhammer was a great addition to the stable, and is quite possibly my favourite Total War game. Plus, you know, Skaven, Lizardmen, and the less squishy elf races - I can't not get behind that! I'm curious to see how their campaigns work, though - Lizardmen in particular strike me as difficult to design a campaign around, even moreso than the wood elves in their 'only here to defend the jungle' logic.

I really like this game. I'm going to replay as the Empire soon but first I have to unwedge get my Steam installation - I can't update the game because it needs 35gb of space (and I only have 30) but I can't move it to another drive until it's updated. Nice one Valve!

I can't wait to play as the Skaven.

• 2 months later...

I'm playing Beastmen. I'm liking it a lot, it's quite refreshing just going around knocking head not having to worry about public order. The only thing is that new units are very very slow to unlock and some units have now disappeared completely and I cant get them anymore such as the war hounds 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprising there's not been any more activity here. TWW2 is really good, one of my favourite Total Wars already. The Vortex campaign gives it a much stronger narrative drive than previous TWs have had, and make the campaign a challenge until the very end. The new factions are varied and a lot of fun, and it all looks gorgeous. I've already had a lot of fun with it and the new grand campaign hasn't even been released yet.

0D8A103B5EE2925DADE40E727F48083BF22C6D40

38 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

My last Total War was Shogun. Their productions are generally full of bugs and very, very repeatable gameplay mechanics imo. I hear good things about both the Warhammer games and I am itching for TWW2. Any point in playing the first game?

Oh God, without a shadow of a doubt, YES! For one, you get Dwarfs. Plus Greenskins, Vampire Counts and with the DLC, Beastmen and Wood Elves. Apart from the Beastmen (who play just like Chaos) all the races have different mechanics (I'm not counting Empire or those poncy wannabe French knights :P ). 

The main draw however, is how the devs are making it so all three Warhammer games will join together for a massive, world spanning giant campaign that will cover the entire Warhammer world. If you don't have all three you won't be able to play it (the combined campaign for the first and second games is coming soon).

Plus it's a great game.

The new one is fantastic. The ritual mechanic keeps it interesting in the late game where it's normally just a slog to finish off the remaining factions. The four main ones are so different in the way they play as well. Hope they revisit the first games factions a bit to bring some of the improvements to them.

Honestly I'm not a massive fan of the new campaign.  I thought that it being more focused would be good but in practice I don't think it's much fun.  There are now harsh penalties on higher difficulties for having additional armies (on top of all the other penalties that already existed) but the nature of the rituals means you often really need a bunch of armies to have any hope of fight off the doom stacks and intervention armies that suddenly spawn in your territory.  Intervention armies are semi-broken too.  I honestly thought I'd like this more than the first game which had it's own problems but so far I'm not finding it that much fun.  It feels like some of the issues of the original that were fixed have returned.   Auto-resolve is completely unpredictable (and I've heard broken for Skaven),  AI army composition remains awful.  Rogue armies sounded like fun but they always seem to spawn in the worst possible places and sometimes you get unlucky and get one early that is composed of high tier troops that you can't really handle.  The lords also seem really unbalanced - Tyrion and Malekith seem to have some borderline broken campaign skills (global recruitment and upkeep bonuses mostly).   Still really looking forward to the Mortal Empires campaign though.

I started this, jumped into Skaven and am really enjoying it. One early failure, so am on my second try and doing much better, have completed one ritual.

Fuck me though Skaven are out gunned by the Lizard men and Elf troops. 

I've had two victories that were essentially complete wipes for both armies , one I only won because I left my remaining handfull of skirmishers just run and shoot and finally they beat the damn lizards by attrition and a final death or glory melee swarm on the last remaining hero.

Epic :) 

The Old God's Edition of the first game may be of a similar price but AFAIK it includes all the DLC packs from the original game which probably add up to about £30 when combined, so it's a pretty good deal. It's a bit frustrating though as the base game was one of the half a dozen or so games in a £9 humble monthly bundle, so it's hard to justify paying much more now. 

I haven't played much of either but from what I gather the sequel is better in every way: better introduction, tooltips and tutorial for new players and an improved campaign. The only downside of course is that the race selection is a bit more limited. 

I've been surprised how good the Skaven are.  You always have number superiority so enveloping the enemy is easy and then summons allow you to hit the enemy in the back or neutralise archers and artillery.  At least early games it's often possible to overwhelm the enemy so thoroughly early on that they break before you.   Even if your guys do break, it doesn't matter because they tend to rally quickly.  Fighting Skaven on the other hand is frustrating as you it seems to take forever to get them to break properly and even when you beat them they tend to have a large number of survivors.  I've only fought against their higher tier units but their artillery seems particularly scary and I've seen Skrolk absolutely destroy units single handedly with his various plague breath/wind/vortex spells.

Then again all factions feel powerful in their own ways.  As High Elf I found a stack of Lothern Sea Guard (so many tech/trait/skill upgrades available for them) and a few bolt throwers was capable of taking on most armies.

I would imagine, although I'll caveat this with the fact I've not played it, but I would imagine that the way to play skaven is just superior numbers, troops to the grinder, don't care about losses, right?

Every time I play a total war game I get annoyed at every soldier lost, even if I've utterly crushed the opponent and only lost about 20 troops. I don't think I could cope with skaven. :lol:

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

I would imagine, although I'll caveat this with the fact I've not played it, but I would imagine that the way to play skaven is just superior numbers, troops to the grinder, don't care about losses, right?

Well, early game 90% of their recruitable troops have the talent "meat shield" so I'd guess you are correct :D 

I really want to like this but I'm finding it far harder to get into than WH1. I don't particularly like either of the Elf factions, Skaven are a nightmare to play for me (I'm really, really shit at controlling the battlefield so they really are the antithesis of the way I try to play) even though they're my favourite faction and I struggle with the Lizardmen due to the lack of ranged (had issues with VC for the same reasons). 

I don't particularly mind the lack of ranged on Lizardmen but they also lack speed early on (especially as Kroq'gar, as Mazdamundi you have Net spell and solar engine).  I just did the first quest battle as Kroq'gar against Dark Elves.  I spent most of the battle chasing Shades.   Only Kroq'gar on a mount and my Skink priest on Terradon could catch them and only Kroq'gar could do it safely.  Occasionally the Stegadon might sprint and catch up but most of the time it just trundled along.  I'd hate to face a Norscan army with them.

Chameleon Skinks are absolutely amazing units. Ranged skirmishers that can shoot at all angles while running, have poison shots, crazy high speed and have a 40% missile resist. Recruit them if you're feeling a lack of ranged on Lizardmen. In fact, just recruit them, they're one of the best units in the game. 

23 hours ago, csuzw said:

but the nature of the rituals means you often really need a bunch of armies to have any hope of fight off the doom stacks and intervention armies that suddenly spawn in your territory.  

You're not wrong here. got to my second ritual and it spawned about 5 of the fuckers.  I had moved my armies in to defend the ritual towns , and two of the chaos armies went down the right side of the peninsula on the opposite side to my armies and razed every single one of the cities I had captured and built up. I mean wtf! It seems like a mechanic just to piss you off. 

It's certainly tough! 

Enjoying my Skaven though, finally got to the top tier units and they can certainly hold their own in a rumble. 

Ulthuan is really bad for this.   I had 6 Skaven doom stacks spawn on the eastern coast of Ulthuan.  All the ritual cities were in the inner circle or on the western coast.  Even if I had the armies to deal with that amount of high tier Skaven armies it would still take me at least 3 turns to get them near by which time they would most likely have razed or taken over at least one province (although it's the AI so there is always a chance they're just sit around raiding).  My current tactic is to entirely ignore the vortex and just go for a domination victory because the rituals are just far too annoying.

Despite a whole bunch of mechanics annoying me, I am enjoying the game still, just looking forward more to the new grand campaign.

9 minutes ago, csuzw said:

Ulthuan is really bad for this.   I had 6 Skaven doom stacks spawn on the eastern coast of Ulthuan.  All the ritual cities were in the inner circle or on the western coast.  Even if I had the armies to deal with that amount of high tier Skaven armies it would still take me at least 3 turns to get them near by which time they would most likely have razed or taken over at least one province (although it's the AI so there is always a chance they're just sit around raiding).  My current tactic is to entirely ignore the vortex and just go for a domination victory because the rituals are just far too annoying.

Despite a whole bunch of mechanics annoying me, I am enjoying the game still, just looking forward more to the new grand campaign.

Ah so you can win by beating everyone still ? Is it feasible? Will i have to expand hard to achieve this ?  My gameplay is more of a slow build up, which is really unsuited to Skaven lol 

Maybe I should adapt a scorched earth policy.

I haven't done it yet but seems to be.  Remember you don't need to wipe out the AI factions to stop them, and you only have to really start worrying about them once they're onto the fourth ritual really (or fifth if you want to cut it really fine!).  Later on you'll probably have enough resources to send out an expeditionary force to slow the factions down or be able to pay for an intervention army.  Skaven don't seem to be able to deal with 10k intervention armies at all from what I've seen, on the other hand Mazdamundi seems to crush them instantly so he'll need manual intervention.  Even if you fail to stop them, I believe you get teleported to a final defensive battle anyway and this is apparently very easy.

You can also cause an enemy ritual to fail by occupying one of their ritual sites, if the AI doesn't succeed in this. The final ritual takes 20 turns, which gives you plenty of time. If a ritual fails I think a faction will get a cooldown until they can try again, but obviously if they've failed ones their economy is likely to be in tatters for a while yet. NB: when an enemy has to retry a ritual, the ritual sites may well be different. I think they may be randomly picked.

And yeah, after winning a lizardmen campaign I'm now playing as High Elves, which is a lot of fun. People who thought the Wood Elves weren't elvish enough will definitely be pleased with these - they're your traditional longbow army, incredibly powerful on the defensive. However, they do have only one type of artillery (but it's a good one). I'm really enjoying how different the factions are in this, it feels a lot more polished than the original (which was already a lot better than CA's usual TW output).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...