rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JPR

Toukiden Series

Announced on the PS Blog, the game follows on from The Age of Demons which is also included, new story should be a similar length to AoD. Cross save and play, you'll be able to transfer your AoD saves to both versions.

No word on cross buy but hopefully they'll be at least some sort of bundle, never got around to buying AoD but will be getting this.

New Slayers arrive!

Toukiden: Kiwami features both the original Toukiden: The Age of Demons story and a brand new story of roughly the same size, following on from the original. The truth will finally be revealed about the origins of the Slayers and the mysterious Council of Elders. All your favourite characters from the first title return, such as Ōka, Hayatori and the other characters from Utakata Village, while new characters such as Reki, Sōma and Horō, make their first appearance, revealing additional depths to the story.

New moves based around co-op multiplayer

One of the most popular features of Toukiden was the cooperative multiplayer mode, which allowed up to four players to join forces in the war against the Oni. This title strengthens the cooperative element further, with the introduction of a new and more powerful move than the Destroyer, that can only be executed in cooperation with your human or NPC allies. NPC AI has been improved for Toukiden: Kiwami, allowing you to work with smarter and more realistic allies than ever before in the war against the Oni!

New mission types

For those Slayers for whom fighting just one Oni isnt enough, a range of new special mission types have been added. Certain Mitama and other rewards can only be acquired in these missions. Together with the collection of special materials that can only be acquired from new Oni and which can be used to create new weapons and armour, there is a host of new features in the game.

New weapons! Newly discovered Oni! New Mitama!

A wide variety of new features has been added, from more difficult mission types to new weapon types such as the naginata, and new battle styles. A wide variety of terrifying and deadly new Oni also appear, including the mysterious Oni of the north, Snowflame, doubling the number of Oni from the original title. In addition, the existing Oni have been strengthened with new moves, creating incredible tension on the field of battle.

16097615280_63cf326a60_o.jpg

16259050206_833bca269b_o.jpg

16098841309_1a197ac369_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

It may be 'Monster Hunter Lite', but I found Toukiden very enjoyable, and stuck a fair few hours into it. I'll jump at the chance to play a sequel on the big screen with a proper pad.

Count me in day one!

All of these MH style games have been okay but haven't quite scratched the itch that Sony throwing a tonne of money at Capcom would fix

I'm probably all alone in this thread lol, but this semi-sequel allows you to transfer your original save over and continue with the same character build. That's great news.

Bad news is I'm pretty sure this is out the same day as Bloodborne.

Bugger so it is, would be interested in a PS4/Vita bundle day one, otherwise I might hold off on the PS4 for a bit.

I'm now more tempted to pick up the first in the sale, but I'm already building up a Vita backlog and not enough memory card space to hold it.

I'm still definitely getting this on PS4, because revisiting old friends (read: enemies) and smacking them about on the big-screen in lovely HD sounds too good to pass up.

BUT! It's out the same day as Bloodborne, which is the world's biggest 'no-no' as far as release dates go. :facepalm:And i'll also need to be clean of this crack-like addiction I have with MH4U.

So yeah, later this year i'll bag it.

Been playing the demo of this for the last few days, it's absolutely gorgeous on the big screen. :wub: Controls are fantastic too, was a bit rusty with the bow due to the range feeling different on a big screen compared to the vita, but is still my favourite of the weapons. Blades are definitely a close second, there is something mighty satisfying about spinning right round a Manslayer chopping off all it's legs and seeing body parts fly all over the screen.

The demo is really quite generous, there are 2 parts to it and your save continues over to the main game. Although I wouldn't have thought your demo save could carry over in addition to an import save. The first part let's you play through chapter 1 in it's entirety and the first 2 missions of chapter 2. You can farm your weapon upgrades and send your Tenko out for materials and this time you can get costumes for them and feed them snacks, you can also attach mitama to them and have them level it up (never played far enough in to AoD to know if this was available in the vita version!). You can play phase 1 missions online through your portal stones.

The second part of it is special demo only missions and you need to create a seperate character to complete them, but it's a lovely geared up character with limitations on where you can go - you are essentially locked in to your house / head quarters. By completing the missions and the quests, you get unlockables for the main game. You complete the first 3 missions to unlock some armor / accessories in the main game, and the quests unlock soul steels / pure soul steels which will let you fortify your weapons in to awesomeness. After you complete those it unlocks the first quest of Kiwami but won't let you save, when you are finished it kicks you out. When you go back in, it has unlocked even more missions / quests. I have yet to complete these though because they are quite difficult! Think I've done the first 2, with 2 more to go. It also then lets you play that part of the demo online and unlocks a whole other bunch of online only missions. :wub:

I think the demo is still only available on the US store though, surprising and disappointing as it's due out next week and I think it's worthy of more exposure, stupid release date. :( Looks as though I'm going to be day one on my own!

Few screenshots:

LvDPCsI.jpg

yoU4NBC.jpg

o7SJmmZ.jpg

I would play this but like Curtis says with Bloodborne around the corner and MH4U still going strong it's a most strange time to release it.

Yay!

My copy arrived yesterday, but they aren't releasing a patch until today to let you carry save data over. :(

Really looking forward to getting stuck in. I believe the demo came out on EU store on the 25th if anyone was wanting to give it a try now. :)

• Upvote 1

Downloaded the demo on the Vita and have been enjoying it on the train. Never been into Monster Hunter maybe due to the shit demo's but this isn't too deep (yet) and fun to play. Doesn't look to bad on the Vita either. A likely full purchase.

I have this now. Transferred my 50 hour save over from Vita without a hitch. Looks glorious in HD. Now i need to un-train my MH brain and remember the differences.

Anyone up for some online shenanigans? @Tutsie, Kayin Amoh?

But of course! Finished the main story, but I'd be up to advance in multi for sure - got another bud playing through right now as well, been helping him get started.

I have this now. Transferred my 50 hour save over from Vita without a hitch. Looks glorious in HD. Now i need to un-train my MH brain and remember the differences.

Anyone up for some online shenanigans? @Tutsie, Kayin Amoh?

:D I haven't been able to transfer over a vita save - I was playing Vita version on Cortleths account - so am only on phase 2/3 online stuff. What phase are you up to?

Okay, that was loads of fun! :D

Its obviously bare bones and rather straightforward when compared to MH, but its lightning fast, and the pyrotechnics are something else. Just those two things make smashing enemies soooo satisfying.

Phase 3 is still early game so going mental was order of business for today. lol! No doubt proper tactics and research will be necessary for the later, harder enemies. I feel like i wanna swat up on the wiki. There are some tantalising weapons at the Mitami vendor, but they require rare bits to create. Something to aim for though.

Question: Do all the new monsters etc show up later? As in do i need to carry on with my complete TAoD storyline?

Oh god, yeah, it is definitely nowhere near as in depth as MH but it is amazing fun as you say. And I find it a whole lot easier too. :D

I love my bow, I tend to stick to bow for big oni hunts and get my blades out for the kill x amount of monsters. I make a habit of switching the bow out to match the elemental weakness of the upcoming boss, it is probably unnecessary at the moment but good practice for tougher times ahead! Plus the weapons look awesome and totally over the top, I was pretty jealous of a couple of yours.

I didn't get any data collection from you though. :( Also, I couldn't trigger the ultimate powered shot. (When the blue bar was filled and the silver star appeared and the blue lines connected us when we were close? You hit triangle and circle together but I couldn't trigger it)

I have no idea as to the answer to your question. :(

I may have data sharing turned off cause i didn't know what it was. Lol. Its like swapping Guild Cards isnt it? I noticed i had some oddly named characters in the roster who must've been players i met back on Vita.

I've not read up on any of the new moves or changes since AoD, so im a bit clueless at the mo'. I'll remedy that before we play again. ;)

*Edit* It seems all the new content kicks in on Chapter 8. I imagine they'll pop up on the higher phases of the MP side of things too.

Fuck, that's cool. It's a game that deserves some glorious co-op and a Steam release should do nicely for helping that.

I played it in single player and bloody loved it. I've been meaning to write a long post in the 'best game not of 2016' thread.

Disclaimer: I put a shit-tonne of hours into the original Vita version. Its great, but still incomparable to the wonderfully tactile, and supremely zany, Monster Hunter.