Speculation: Gc2 & Xbox 2 = Canned?

JPickford (retired mod)

Yesterday Mr Iwata expressed doubts about releasing another, more advanced console. It looks like Nintendo are hinting strongly about looking for a totally different direction. Will they just focus on the GB line and their mysterious new product?

This week Ed Fries left MS. Was he fired for Xbox's lack of success? Or did he leave due to the cancellation of Xbox 2. It's not unheard of for MS to pull out of loss making projects. Their core business is under threat at the moment (Stories of Governments switching to Linux, even IBM dropping windows). Perhaps they need to put their energy elswhere?

I'm not seriously proposing this is happening. But who knows?, the signs are there.

Yesterday Mr Nintendo expressed doubts about releasing another, more advanced console. It looks like Nintendo are hinting strongly about looking for a totally different direction. Will they just focus on the GB line and thier mysterious new product.

Did they say the same thing about the GC? IIRC, GC "wouldn't be released if it wasn't well recieved at E3". Hot air I think.

Plus Xbox may be losing money for Microsoft but they seem to have done something important and that's win hearts and minds of people, somehow pursuading them that a console with no decent games (<_< x 100) is the greatest thing on Earth. They've done an especially good job of this in the UK it seems.

My bet is for MS to actually design, rather than cobble together from PC parts, a custom console for Xbox2, so it can be sold cheaply at a profit and watch the cash roll in.

I really doubt MS will pull out of the consumer electronics market. Xbox hasn't done that badly and MS really want to get a broadband games/hub thing into the living room as much as Sony.

I don't know about Nintendo though. It would make some sense for them to go software only and they've seen how it's panning out for Sega. It's all exciting this speculation isn't it? God bless the internet.

Guest Penguin_Lad

John, you should have this sort of thing as an official "Weekly Speculation" thread!

It would certainly be ashame if Microsoft pulled the plug on the 'box. If Bill Gates wasn't so SELFISH, and didn't give so much of his money to charity, perhaps MS could have done more the 'box.

Did they say the same thing about the GC? IIRC, GC "wouldn't be released if it wasn't well recieved at E3". Hot air I think.

No that's saying a completely different thing.

Isn't what he said this:

"Naturally, development on our next console began immediately after GameCube was announced. Next-generation hardware is always in development, it's just a matter of whether we decide to release it."

A rather odd statement really, but I'd put it in the same context as the "we may not released the GC" threat.

John, you should have this sort of thing as an official "Weekly Speculation" thread!

It would certainly be ashame if Microsoft pulled the plug on the 'box. If Bill Gates wasn't so SELFISH, and didn't give so much of his money to charity, perhaps MS could have done more the 'box.

You know he gives money to charity so he has to pay less taxes right?

It would be interesting to see that if GC2 was canned whether Nintendo would go multiformat or just produce games only for their future handhelds (assuming the PSP doesn't kill it stone dead that is). It would be sad if it did happen, I hate the DuelShock control pad.

You know he gives money to charity so he has to pay less taxes right?
The foundation was created in January 2000, through the merger of the Gates Learning Foundation, which worked to expand access to technology through public libraries, and the William H. Gates Foundation, which focused on improving global health. Led by Bill Gates’ father, William H. Gates, Sr., and Patty Stonesifer, the Seattle-based foundation has an endowment of approximately $26 billion through the personal generosity of Bill and Melinda Gates.

Selfish bastard, burning is too good for him. <_<

Fair enough. But this is a lot earlier in the day, a point where there IS an actually possibility they may cancel it.

Indeed. I think that It'll be interesting to see what the big new thing from Nintendo is, as it may give us a big hint as to where Nintendo is heading. If its truly amazing and new then perhaps we'll see them heading off into new territory and giving up on TV consoles for good.

However I reckon it'll probably be something bollocks and we'll be seeing a GC2. IMHO obviously <_<

It looks like Nintendo are hinting strongly about looking for a totally different direction. Will they just focus on the GB line and their mysterious new product?

Could it be they are all going to be one and the same? An uber handheld that plugs into your TV?

Sorry big man but i don't buy into this MS and Nintendo teaming up thing. If anyone was going to hawk their pearly it'd be Sega, look at the amount of takeover speculations and nothing's happened. Nah, Ninty make too much dosh and would be very wary of MS's reputation in Japan and MS don't need anyone.

Selfish bastard, burning is too good for him. <_<

That doesn't make what I said any less true. In the US you can write off charitable donations as a tax break. Eventually you get to the point where the tax write off is so large, you're making a profit from doing it. Foundations are a great way to head off hefty inheritance taxes as well.

It's my guess that this foundation is founded on 20% Generosity and 80% Creative Accounting.

Ordinary people can do this. For example if I gave my 2nd hand car to charity, I could use it to deducte about $3000 of my taxes. This would actually move me from the 25% to 15% tax bracket, and my tax refund would then be around $4000. If I sold the car it would make me about $2000 at best.

Selfish bastard, burning is too good for him. :blink:

That doesn't make what I said any less true. In the US you can write off charitable donations as a tax break. Eventually you get to the point where the tax write off is so large, you're making a profit from doing it. Foundations are a great way to head off hefty inheritance taxes as well.

It's my guess that this foundation is founded on 20% Generosity and 80% Creative Accounting.

Ordinary people can do this. For example if I gave my 2nd hand car to charity, I could use it to deducte about $3000 of my taxes. This would actually move me from the 25% to 15% tax bracket, and my tax refund would then be around $4000. If I sold the car it would make me about $2000 at best.

<_<

Give $26 billion to charity and people still slag you off.

(just how much tax do you think he pays, probably not anywhere near the amount he has given to charity)

(just how much tax do you think he pays, probably not anywhere near the amount he has given to charity)

Hey - I credited him with 20% genorosity didn't I? I was just trying to explain why this sort of thing is so common in the US.

As for how much tax Gates pays. If it's anything like what I've heard about how much tax Microsoft pays: probably none.

Hey - I credited him with 20% genorosity didn't I? I was just trying to explain why this sort of thing is so common in the US.

As for how much tax Gates pays. If it's anything like what I've heard about how much tax Microsoft pays: probably none.

Yup it's everybody else who pays the Microsoft tax. <_<

Selfish bastard, burning is too good for him. :blink:

<_<

So richer people are more generous? Surely it's the sacrifice that matters not the amount. He sacrifices exactly nothing. If you or I were to give one percent of one percent of what he gives we'd be bankrupted. That would be generous.

it would be extremely shortsighted of Microsoft to back out at this stage. they must have realised what they were up against with Sony and the Playstation. if not then they employ the worst business analyst's since Sega during their hardware days. as for Nintendo, who knows what the hell they're doing these days.

it would be extremely shortsighted of Microsoft to back out at this stage. they must have realised what they were up against with Sony and the Playstation. if not then they employ the worst business analyst's since Sega during their hardware days. as for Nintendo, who knows what the hell they're doing these days.

Yes but they fell WELL short of their public predictions (which MUST have been conserative). Xbox has lost a fortune and has not dented Sony's lead.