I've never played.....

LaParka

I've been playing games ever since I was small. The more I think about the hobby, the more I realise how many games I haven't played.

Top 5 list of shame

Mario64

Zelda, and by that I mean the only Zelda I have played is A Link to the Past.

Chrono Trigger

Half Life 1 or 2

GoldenEye

Looking at that list makes me realise I've never played a final fantasy game either. Is anyone else's list of shame as embarrassing as that?

I had a big post typed out with explanations but I accidentally hit back and lost my post so I'm going to give the lazy list version.

There's probably more but these games are what comes to mind.

Final Fantasy V (Big Final Fantasy fan yet this is the only mainline Final Fantasy game excluding sequels that I haven't played)

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (This one is shameful - because of the cel-shaded style. :( I was young.)

Tomb Raider

Chrono Trigger

Half-Life 2

Grand Theft Auto 4 or 5, San Andreas and any other one after 3 - I didn't like 1 or 2, I tried 3 and hated that as well, just not into it at all.

Half Life (the original, I nearly finished 2 on the Orange Box before selling my 360)

Metal Gear Solid 2 and onwards (which is silly because I thoroughly enjoyed the original back on PS1)

I have also yet to play an XBONE, PS4 or Wii U, we spent the last near 5 years living in Vietnam where I had my 360 and a PSP, just moved to the US and right now got a PS3 a friend gave me and thoroughly enjoying playing games I missed out on. Fancy an XBONE first I think but not settled on it!

Other than A Link to the Past and Super Mario World many years ago, I've not played any other Nintendo main stable games. At all. Have only ever owned a NES, too (the SNES was my brothers), so never played any of the acclaimed third-party titles either (Goldeneye et al).

Never touched any Metal Gear title, no interest in the GTA series (though I did have about 20 minutes mucking around on IV and it didn't grab me), never tried Minecraft or any other similar games.

- Never really played anything pre the Playstation generation.

- Never played a Dreamcast or any games.

- A little less mainstream, but I've never played a Yakuza or Katamari game.

- There's a load of famous RPG franchises that I've never been near, either: Grandia, Xenogears, Disgaea, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Legend of Mana, etc.

Those of you who haven't played HL1 or 2, they're on sale all the time and will run on most things. They both hold up really well today, too. 2 especially. There's no excuse!

Loads. Loads and loads. I have a fairly limited range of games I play, so a lot of stuff just passes me by.

I suppose the headlines would be:

Any of the Mario games past the one that came with my SNES.

Any Mario Kart after the original

Any Zelda game, ever

Halo of any description.

FPS games in general. Counter Strike 1.6 was the last one I played.

WoW

Any Final Fantasy game that isn't 7

Anything on Wii that isn't bowling

Anything on GameCube

GTA past 3

Anything on N64 that isn't Goldeneye

Anything exclusively current generation

So many it hurts. Especially as there are a lot of games that I've dipped into, but spent so little time with that it's effectively the same as never playing them at all.

Just off the top of my head:

Half-Life 2

I think I own about four copies of this but I've never got into it, which is strange as I loved HL1 so much in its day. I think the demo of HL2 put me right off - I thought the gravity gun was super gimmicky and just didn't fall in love with it at all.

Pokémon

I tried the original Game Boy ones back in the day, and have attempted to revisit them via emulators a few times since then, but they just never really hooked me.

Legend of Zelda

At one time or another I've owned almost all the main-series Zelda games - but I just can't seem to make myself fall in love with them like everyone else does.

Any 3D Mario games

I didn't have an N64 at the time (eventually picked one up years later) so Mario 64 missed me on launch. I did have Sunshine on the Gamecube but the camera was the wrong way round for me, and had no option to switch it, so I never got my head into the game at all. I've watched my then-housemate play a fair bit of Galaxy but never actually played it myself, ditto Galaxy 2. I've even got 3D Land on the 3DS, but again, haven't spent any significant time on it.

I do love the New Super Mario Bros games. I think I just plain prefer 2D Mario.

Any Metroidvania games

Again I've bought a lot of the obvious ones at one time or another but I just don't really like them. Metroid Prime 1 was pretty good I guess, but I didn't get very far with it.

Final Fantasy

Much like Zelda, I've bought loads of these over the years, but I just don't get it.

Any Resident Evils except 4 and 5

Didn't own a PlayStation until much later, never really went back to the original games.

Metal Gear Solid

I think I own the first three or four of them. Just don't really get it. I tried the GameCube remake but it was too hard for me so I gave up on the first level.

Anything on PS3 or PS4

I don't own either machine. I've probably spent a sum total of about half an hour playing with a PS3, and I've never even been in the same room as a PS4 (shop floors excepted, obviously).

Anything on Saturn

I think the only Saturn game I've ever played was a demo of Panzer Dragoon in HMV in Belfast when the console was new. Apart from that I've played a lot of NiGHTS but only the PS2 and 360 versions.

The list could go on and on. It's a minor miracle I've ever played anything, to be honest.

Edit:

These are mainly ones I do still want to play rather than one's I'm not interested in at all.

Similar thing here. The above are all games I've at least been interested enough in to feel like I 'should' play them. Hence the prevalence of "I tried this but never quite got into it". There's loads of stuff that's mega popular but I've never played because I have zero interest, like DayZ, Arma, any MOBA... basically anything online multiplayer, actually.

Zelda games are the sort where I can't really figure out why anyone other than me loves them, or how they got so popular. So I can sort of understand people trying them and deciding they're not interested. But not trying them is a bit baffling.

As for final fantasy, I think you're about 15 years too late to get in to that series. It's not such a big deal any more (and rightly so!)

As for mario 64, it's basically been surpassed in every respect by galaxy.

Final Fantasy 7. I want to, it's just that the graphics have aged badly and I know the big shock is that Aeris dies.

There's a much bigger shock than that!

FPS games in general. Counter Strike 1.6 was the last one I played.

They're so much better nowadays. Except cod obviously, lols. What kind of games do you actually play?

I've never played world of warcraft, or any of the microsoft "age of" series (age of empires, wonders etc.) I've got Age of empires 2 HD sitting on my steam waiting to be played though. I think that's about it.

I've not played the bulk of the 16-bit era. Of the absolute big hitters I've played Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, A Link to the Past, Pilotwings, the first two Sonics, a couple of versions of Street Fighter 2, and a handful of games of Streets of Rage 2.

Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Sonic 3 (& Knuckles), Yoshi's Island... I've a lot of stuff I've just yet to play. I intend at some point to go back, starting with Super Metroid as soon as possible.

Final Fantasy 7. I want to, it's just that the graphics have aged badly and I know the big shock is that Aeris dies.

That's not the big shock actually. There is a MUCH bigger one later on, and even one bigger than that if you think about who the real enemy actually is.

For me RE4 is an obvious one as I do enjoy the game but haven't played more than the first three (back in the day) and then eventually got to go through Code Veronica for the first time about 4 years ago or so on the original DC. I just haven't gotten round to playing the others and really do want to at some point, especially the REmake. Metal Gear Solid is another series I've played nothing of aside from the original demo that came out on the PS1. It looked amazing but I never got round to picking it up yet it's one of those on the list to do so eventually. Chrono Trigger is another one I've been wanting to jump on as I noticed it above.

A lot of the Nintendo stuff since the Game Cube I haven't really touched but still want to. The last Zelda game I played was some of Majora's Mask in about 2005 and I haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64 back in about 2000, but really do want to try out some of the newer ones eventually.

These are mainly ones I do still want to play rather than one's I'm not interested in at all.

They're so much better nowadays. Except cod obviously, lols. What kind of games do you actually play?

It's not the quality that's the issue with FPS games. I can't really play them 99% of the time because most give me motion sickness (as do GoW style third person games) and they just don't interest me that much. I have limited gaming time, so I tend to stick with what I like. Which are mostly driving, strategy and fighting games.

I'm another who played almost nothing of the 16-bit era, consoles or Amiga/ST. Also I never had a PC back then, so also include all the highly praised PC games like Doom, Quake, Lucas Arts Tie Fighter and point and click games.

My entire time gaming from 1989 to around 1998 must have been about 5 hours in total of a quick play of something round at someone's house. Only got back into gaming with the Playstation.

Also Minecraft, which just doesn't interest me at all.

Resident Evil 4 (had the 360 version installed for months now... the fact it's its 10th anniversary should be enough to get me to play it at last!)
Metroid series
Megaman series
Final Fantasy series (well, I've played the first hour or so of VII, but that's such a small proportion of the game it hardly counts!)

World of Warcraft
Uncharted series
Minecraft
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Lego Star Wars/Batman/Indy/Harry Potter/etc
Elder Scrolls series
Bioshock/System Shock series

Donkey Kong Country series

Pokémon series

Haven't played most of the Zelda series (completed OOT, almost completed the GBA ALTTP, very brief goes on Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess... but that's it)

Haven't played Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, most of the Mario Karts except GBA Super Circuit

I've never played any of the Call of Duty games.

I've played a few of their demos, but none of the full games.

So many for me, but I think my headlines would be:

Any Halo, Half Life or any other FPS since Timesplitters 2.

Any game on the Xbox, 360 or Xbone.

Any game on the PS3 or PS4.

Any PC game since about 1997.

It would probably be quicker to list the games I actually have played.

I've never owned either Wii system, so apart from visits to friends and family I haven't really experienced things like the Mario Galaxies, Xenoblade, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Skyward Sword...

I still haven't picked up a 3DS, so again, there are a few things there I haven't played. My plan was to wait until they inevitably announced remodelled hardware before going in...

I've never played an Uncharted game, or The Last of Us.

I once had a copy of SotC that I intended to get around to for months but I never played it and I think it got lost when clearing out my collection.

Okami - I kept seeing it in stores and hearing great things about it, so it's not like it was one of those classics that was on shelves for 30 seconds and disappeared into obscurity...I just never got around to it. I might pick it up one day.