Club Nintendo's closing down (NEW: Goodbye Coin now available, 2000 Stars)

toythatkills

Looking through my account I've had lots of good stuff from Club Nintendo.

The Mario Galaxy Platinum Soundtrack, Wii SNES Controllers, 3D World Soundtrack, Link Between Worlds Soundtrack, 3DS XL Charging Cradle, a rubbish coin collection and a Year of Luigi Coin as well as Wii Points Cards. The website was never great but has definitely improved a lot since it first appeared when it was constantly down and rarely updated.

I've done alright. Wii points cards, Mario Soundtrack, Zelda Soundtrack, Foam Wall things for the boys, uber pouch, keyring., playing cards. Not too shabby. I'm a compulsive spender, so as soon as I had enough for stuff I bought it.

I've got enough for the Mario Kart 8 badge set but the 3DS pouch looks good too.

Those badges are quite large, not usual pin badge size, and not what I thought of as pin badges either, I opened them, took one look and closed the box again, will look nice on the shelf though :)

I've had a few games, a dog, some Wii points, a Game & Watch and some other bits and pieces.

And a Layton Trilogy storage box, but that didn't actually cost any points - you just needed to have registered the games.

When you also include all the free games Nintendo have thrown around in the last couple of years (especially that awesome 3DS offer) for registering games, I think I've done pretty well!

I got the pouch, but I have a problem with it.

Maybe it's just my one, but the drawstrings don't stay closed very well. If you have a 3DS XL in the pouch in your rucksack where it's moving about, by the time you take out the pouch, the 3DS XL may have either fallen out already, or will fall out when you pick up the pouch, if you happen to grab it the wrong way up.

I think it needs a "lock" on the drawstring. Anyone else have this problem?

I got the pouch, but I have a problem with it.

Maybe it's just my one, but the drawstrings don't stay closed very well. If you have a 3DS XL in the pouch in your rucksack where it's moving about, by the time you take out the pouch, the 3DS XL may have either fallen out already, or will fall out when you pick up the pouch, if you happen to grab it the wrong way up.

I think it needs a "lock" on the drawstring. Anyone else have this problem?

Not had any problems with mine, and I take my 3DS XL in my rucksack everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

After going through all mine, finding out which had expired I'm now sitting with an account balance of 1850. Bit of a waste, in hindsight donating them would have made more sense as I've no interest in wallpapers and ringtones.

Guess I'll wait out till near the end for any deals/shite that they find in some cupboard and want rid of.

I waited too long and now the Mario Kart badge set is gone :(

I was lucky enough to discover a package on my desk when I returned from leave.

This very item was contained within as a gift from a work colleague.

Cheers Hairy Jesus!

:)

I'm still not sure whether to just grab a pouch while I can as a "by far the best that's left", or wait and hope something amazing pops up (for not too many more points).

There's been almost nothing whatsoever that's amazing in all the years it's been running so I wouldn't hold your breath for a reappearance of any of the handful of greats or anything else equally good, and in the unlikely event of something exciting turning up it sure as hell won't be cheap.

There's been almost nothing whatsoever that's amazing in all the years it's been running so I wouldn't hold your breath for a reappearance of any of the handful of greats or anything else equally good, and in the unlikely event of something exciting turning up it sure as hell won't be cheap.

I don't know, those Luigi Dioramas were a pretty good way to turn a bunch of useless Club Nintendo points into £100.

The memories of standing in WHSmith circa 2003 nicking codes from dummy boxes because they left the instructions inside. Rebel. Also I earned thousands from taking them from preowened games when working at Game. Amazing how many were left inside. Was always a fight for the rare codes.

Managed to grab two SNES pads, playing cards, Super Mario galaxy soundtrack, Game and Watch Mr Ball and various other tat down the years. I have several thousand left but the golf balls are grossly expensive.

It wouldn't be that much as you can't redeem codes for games that you've already redeemed. Well I can't anyway.

I don't know, those Luigi Dioramas were a pretty good way to turn a bunch of useless Club Nintendo points into £100.

I turned mine into a dust magnet, opened it , had a look, put it back in the box and there it sits on the shelf, along with all the other tatt.

It wouldn't be that much as you can't redeem codes for games that you've already redeemed. Well I can't anyway.

You're right about that, although you can earn points separately for the retail and digital versions of the same game. I imagine if you were sitting on lots of codes you could always make as many accounts as you needed as well.

There's nothing to stop you from setting up multiple accounts

There used to be - you initially could only open an account with a code from a GameCube or a GBA. Unless you nicked codes for them too, I suppose.