rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rudi von Starnberg

Life is Strange - Season 1 & Before the Storm

RPS: Life Is Strange is an episodic drama about going home

Inevitably, the usual suspects of the Current Climate are hating the comparisons with Gone Home (one comment I saw called it "destined to become tumblr's favorite game because it covers every possible base of faggotry") but I think it looks interesting. Having heard about it today for the first time, I think it looks lovely and am definitely up for trying it, even though I don't really know much about it yet. £3.99 for the first episode standalone is a good price point, but if it gets good reviews/buzz then I'll probably just splash out on all five episodes at once when it comes out at the end of January.
  • Upvote 4

Saw the launch trailer earlier this year and I've been following it since and I'm glad Dontnod is getting another chance after Remember Me. I'll most likely wait for all episodes first, Hoping for a retail release at some point but Dontnod has said that's unlikely at the moment.

Looks awesome! Loving the 'interactive narrative' semi-genre at the moment :)

I hadn't heard about this - will give the trailer a watch when I finish work. I thought Remember Me was an okay game with some gorgeous art design and a good setting; I'll be interested to see what Dontnod can produce when focussing more heavily on story.

Just noticed this while browsing the Humble Store. Looks quite interesting

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/lifeisstrange_complete_storefront

Life is Strange is a five part episodic game that sets out to revolutionise story based choice and consequence games by allowing the player to rewind time and affect the past, present and future.
You are Max, a photography senior who saves her old friend Chloe by discovering she can rewind time. The pair soon find themselves exposed to the darker side of Arcadia Bay as they uncover the disturbing truth behind the sudden disappearance of a fellow student.
Meanwhile, Max begins to have premonitions as she struggles to understand the implications of her power. She must quickly learn that changing the past can sometimes lead to a devastating future.

Features:
A beautifully written modern adventure game.
Rewind time to change the course of events.
Multiple endings depending on the choices you make.
Striking, hand-painted visuals.
Distinct, licensed indie soundtrack.

I am looking forward to this. I like the idea of episodic games if they are done right and this is looking promising.

It's by the team that made Remember Me (dontnod) so I will probably give it a look. I enjoyed RM despite it's flaws.

It's by the team that made Remember Me (dontnod) so I will probably give it a look. I enjoyed RM despite it's flaws.

I wasn't a huge fan of the combat but I loved the whole visual style that game had and I loved the soundtrack.

Launch trailer is out and I really like the look of it. I think I'll grab it on my PS4 tomorrow

eurogamer have a walkthrough of the demo with that Irish girl. Interesting concept, reminds me of the Butterfly Effect, although rewinding time all the time will get dull

• Upvote 2

I went to Square's EGX presentation for this game. It has some some interesting tricks you can do with the time shifting but the angsty friend was intensely annoying.

Because our average age is 35 and not 15?

Yes I get that. Thing is, we were all 15 once? I find the kneejerk reaction to said content always very typical...

Yes I get that. Thing is, we were all 15 once? I find the kneejerk reaction to said content always very typical...

To be fair, aren't you the phantom pillow flusher? Angsty content is probably perfect for you.

• Upvote 7

I really enjoyed Remember Me, really beutiful game at times. The gameplay could have done with some polishing, but I did love the world they created.

Just picked this up to play over the weekend. Steam code from GreenManGaming for the whole season can be got today for £11.52 using code - 20PERO-FFDIGI-GAMESX (code runs out today)

• Upvote 2

Ah was just about to use that code to snap this up but it turns out I still had some GMG credit!

Managed to get the complete season for only €8.97 :D

I made a thread for this a while back but it only got like 4 replies and search is busted so I can't blame you for not finding it again really.

I have the game downloaded and ready to play after work. Looking forward to trying it out.

Items bought Life is Strange: Complete Season (Episodes 1-5) - PC £11.52 Payment type: PayPal Savings: -£2.87 Total £11.52

Works for me. Looking forward to this.

Weird! Was £15.99 minus the 20% voucher code (£3.19 off) making it £12.80. Meh! :D

If anyone's still after it on PC, it's on Nuuvem for < £8 (the key doesn't seem to be region locked, I've used mine in the UK fine).

• Upvote 2

I'm holding off for now so I can play the whole game in one, also developers haven't seemed to nail down a reasonable release schedule for episodic content with the exception of Telltale (and even that is a little stretch.) I hope it's good because I've been following this since the reveal! I've had a quick glance at reviews and they seem to be more positive responses than Remember Me which is encouraging. I'll read some later.

I'm going to have my tea and then crack straight on with this when I get home from work. There's a Giant Bomb quicklook available too but that will obviously contain spoilers.

Teenage girl angst and time manipulation? Sold!

Just finished the first episode. I like it a lot. Some of the writing is a little bit 'this is what we think teenagers sound like', not quite as believable as I'd like - it doesn't have the light touch and unimpeachable sense of time and place of something like Gone Home - but the central mechanic is cool and I'm intrigued by where it's going. The characters manage not just to be archetypes, which is rare for anything set in a school.

Oh, and the lip-synching varies from functional to terrible.