IGNORED

X-Men Apocalypse - Singer returns to direct - 2016

Professor Puzzles

Eh, I also enjoyed it!

Has some really great moments and the prospect of a sequel with this cast is quite promising, whereas before I hated the idea!

The shot of them all at the end in their full X-men gear was brilliant, especially Cyclops with his slightly off-centre X across the chest. Of course, Jackman appearing to take us through the Weapon X escape was glorious and hopefully lays the foundations nicely for a properly violent final Wolverine movie. Everyone played their part well with Nightcrawler stealing several scenes. The bit where he is doing a count and runs out of fingers was very amusing. Action wise it was good but lacked any real stand out moments. Everything looked nice but there was nothing to even come close to the likes of Wolverine v Sabretooth on top of the Statue of Liberty or Nightcrawler in the White House. Both classis scenes. The Phoneix stuff with Jean toward the end was a nice finale but felt very rushed and needed one or more moments between her and Professor X earlier on to really build it up. A symptom of so much going on I suppose but overall really enjoyed it.

My only issue with the whole thing was the use of Quicksilvers powers. First of all, the running toward the camera shots during the explosion were terrible. Apart from the one with the dog, that was awesome. Secondly, he is shown to be able to move almost at the speed of light during that scene yet later on he gets nerfed and has very little to do. They got around this problem in Days of Future Past by just not having him involved at the end but here its like, why doesn't Quicksilver do everything because then the bad guys wouldn't be moving. The Flash often has this problem in the TV show where the strength of his powers change to fit the episode but I felt they got the balance spot on with the version of Quicksilver in Age of Ultron.

Still, a great character and hopefully we see more of him but its clear that in the rush to show off a cool scene with Quicksilver doing funny stuff while everyone else stands still they have just ignored how that would then impact other parts of the movie :lol: 

On 27/05/2016 at 7:02 PM, Benny said:

There's some cunt from Empire that does a a segment on Radio 6 every Friday morning that I have to listen to on the work radio who keeps spoiling large chunks of film plots, so that magazine can do one.

Chris Hewitt, he's leads the podcast too. I wouldn't say he spoils the plots at all, just gives the general set up, which most trailers or reviews do anyway. Just turn him off if you don't like him, it's like a 5 minute segment. But I like the podcast so I'm being a little bias here.

To be honest it was probably just since he did a bit on High Rise, which I knew nothing about as I hadn't read the book, but he described pretty much the main events that happen in the story. The joy of a lot of science fiction films is in the discovery of how some of these strange events develop. If someone had done that with Ex Machina for example it may not have surprised me so much. And the other day he opened on a bit about the follow up to The Kingsman (which I've not seen yet) by explaining what happens with a character in the previous film. I wouldn't normally care, but I can't always turn off the work radio.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

And the other day he opened on a bit about the follow up to The Kingsman (which I've not seen yet) by explaining what happens with a character in the previous film. I wouldn't normally care, but I can't always turn off the work radio.

There's a Statute of fucking limitations on that shit.

I think there is an art to reviewing or discussing films without actually giving anything away, as then you have to actually do some work to not just regurgitate the plot or a press release. But I suspect that's a bit much to expect when half the air time is Lauren Laverne cooing over the latest blockbuster appropriately while saying virtually nothing of interest about it.

Saw it today. Matthew Vaughn still has the " Best xmen movie " then by some distance . This was worse than days of future past, and that wasn't great, Singer hasnt manged a good movie since X2 . I mean this was ok at times but it was so predictable .  Certainly not a patch on civil war and I think batman vs superman was better . 

A waste of a what is a good comic storyline and a total waste of characters too . Arch Angel was in it for about 40 seconds, psylocke not much longer . Egyptian superman plainly didn't need any of them and rendered all of them pretty much redundant . 

I would say Singer doesn't have much of a sense for action. When in doubt he just throws stuff onto the screen, with bad CG.

He has made good films in the past but they need to get someone else making these films now. They had a fresh and genuinely interesting take with First Class then let Singer squander it. A shame.

As for the spoiler discussion mentioning Ex Machina? Wasn't it pretty obvious how that story would go from close to the start of the film?  It was well made but such well-worn, predictable material.

On 27 May 2016 at 8:07 AM, strider said:

Holy fuck, now I feel bad about slagging batman off after watching this fucking garbage. How on gods green earth do people keep suggesting singer is the patron saint of comic book movies. It's a festering pile of shit that looks like it was made from the budget of Farscape episode.

I think people have respect for Singer isn't so much that has current output is worthwhile, it's more to do that he is responsible for the resurgence of the comic book movie. Blade may have came out before, but X-Men brought comic book movies back with a bang after Joel Schumacher bat-nippled them out of existence.

For what it's worth I didn't think Apocalpyse was that bad. Maybe that's because I went in with super low expectiatons, but I found it enjoyable enough. It certainly wasn't a Batman V Superman sized train wreck.

15 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Chris Hewitt, he's leads the podcast too. I wouldn't say he spoils the plots at all, just gives the general set up, which most trailers or reviews do anyway. Just turn him off if you don't like him, it's like a 5 minute segment. But I like the podcast so I'm being a little bias here.

I like Chris Hewitt. I think the Empire podcast has really come into its own in the last year or so. One of the few movie podcasts I listen too on a weekly basis.

Watched this earlier and thought it was the poorest of the current reboot. That's not to say it was terrible - it wasn't - but my immediate feelings are that I wouldn't particularly watch it again.

I thought it took a long while to get going and then climatic battle was rather lacking when we got there. None of the characters really had much room to breathe and much like the previous 2, this is really about Magneto (which I'm fine with, I love Fassbender in the role) and he's the only with any plot development. The rest of the cast don't have a great deal to do and Apocalypse never feels much of a threat. I was surprised at how little action there was, too. I only watched it hours ago and can only think of the end battle and the mansion bit and not a lot else.

I was left pretty disappointed, which is continuing the trend of superhero films so far this year, having thought BvS was rubbish, Civil War decent (but not great), with Deadpool leading the way.

Out of interest, how many more X-Men films with this group of characters have been announced?

First Class is half good, half crap. You remember stuff like Magneto killing the Nazis in South America, or facing down the combined navies of the superpowers, or Kavin Bacon being Kevin Bacon, and those are brilliant moments, but then you remember the flying ginger kid, or when Beast turns blue with the help of the Doctor Who make-up department from the 1960s, or basically every time January Jones in on screen.

On 31/05/2016 at 10:49 PM, therearerules said:

Hide contents

Cerebro is the most invasive surveillance network ever produced, and is consistently leading to doom, yet it's continuous use and fact nobody has a problem with it can only lead me to believe Professor Xavier is an authoritarian bad guy,

Prof X can also be hacked/controlled by other people to use him and Cerebro for their own ends. Happened at least twice in the films now ?

Well I must have gone mental cos I preferred this to dofp. The quicksilver scene was superb.  then weapon x happened, then phoenix appeared and we got the danger room with sentinels. Fuck me it was proper classic xmen. 

I did enjoy this, but it was exactly on the level that you just laid out. If you know what you're looking at then great. But to a general audience the Phoenix stuff is a complete Deus Ex Machina that's never explained. Weapon X is just the obligatory Hughbert Jackman appearance and the danger room doesn't register at all.

There was a lot of fun fan service, but it wasn't a better movie than DOFP.

Watched this last night. Was alright but i just didn't seem to enjoy it that much. DOFP was better IMO. It did seem kinda ironic when stansa stark commented how the third films are usually the worst (referencing the last stand) but apocalypse is pretty much the third film in this series of x men films.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-men/36208/x-men-apocalypse-box-office

X-Men: Apocalypse is set to fall some way short of the gross of X-Men: Days Of Future Past, as things stand...

A film that looked a sure-fire hit at the start of the year, the new X-Men movie, X-Men: Apocalypse, is actually having a tougher time that predicted at the box office. Especially in the US, the film is struggling a little, and its ultimate tally is now expected to fall far short of X-Men: Days Of Future Past, the highest grossing X-Men movie to date.

Bryan Singer’s new film has just crossed $100m in the US, suffering a 66% drop in business in its second weekend. It grossed $22.3m, down from a less-than-expected opening of $65.7m. And whilst we’re some way away from the movie being declared a flop, it’s notable that in America, the film may now struggle to topple the $166m in total that Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice earned in its opening weekend.

Outside of America, things are looking a bit more positive. The film’s added $286m elsewhere in the world, and its current total gross all in stands at $402m (including those US takings). It should cross the half a billion dollar mark by the time it’s done, although it’s unlikely to get to X-Men: Days Of Future Past’s $747m.

Reviews and word of mouth for X-Men: Apocalypse have been notably weaker than last time around, though, and certainly contrasted with X-Men spin-off Deadpool, it doesn’t seem to have hit as Fox would have hoped. We wait and see just where its total ends up, and what Fox plans to do next with the main line of X-Men films…

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-men/36208/x-men-apocalypse-box-office#ixzz4AmtIJNeD