X-Men Apocalypse - Singer returns to direct - 2016

Professor Puzzles

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I wonder how much more popular it would have been if they'd sneaked in a couple of Deadpool appearances. And yes I know it's the wrong time period but that wouldn't stop the character.

It was proably too late to add Deadpool in after his film was a surprise hit ?

Instead of Fox's planned Fantastic Four/X Men shared universe, I can imagine in the future it'll be the shoe-horn Deadpool into everything shared universe.

18 hours ago, Ste_S said:

It was proably too late to add Deadpool in after his film was a surprise hit ?

Instead of Fox's planned Fantastic Four/X Men shared universe, I can imagine in the future it'll be the shoe-horn Deadpool into everything shared universe.

I think the Wolverine stuff was filmed very late on (although probably planned well in advance) - I might have even read early April - because he needed to be well into his "getting buff as fuck to film the Wolverine movie" cycle before they shot it, so a Deadpool cameo probably could have been crammed in if they really wanted to.

It would have been way better if they had all the same build-up for the Wolverine bit, but it turned out to be Deadpool in the cage instead.

Also, if it'd still had the same uncomfortably paedo-ish bit with teenage Jean Grey looking into his eyes.

On 06/06/2016 at 10:12 AM, Lorfarius said:

I wonder how much more popular it would have been if they'd sneaked in a couple of Deadpool appearances. And yes I know it's the wrong time period but that wouldn't stop the character.

The last thing that this series needs is another character being shoehorned in. They should have been using this movie to establish a new set of heroes (of new actors in old roles) going forwards, but instead they waste half an hour just to jam Wolverine in for 5 minutes. Just like the comics, the movies are becoming The Wolverine Show. It's getting boring.

Weird. I downloaded the HD rip that's on the high seas and Jesus isn't in the intro sequence. They do the same CGI camera rotation, but he isn't there. I assume that's a chinese market thing or something?

Edit: No Swastika or Sickle/Cross either.

Saw this today. Both me and my daughter loved it and enjoyed it far more than Alice which we also saw.

Excellent performances (apart from Sansa Stark who was pretty awful)  and lots of cool sequences. Still, bear in mind that I dont like X2 or DOFP that much at all and think that First Class is the best one by a country mile (and one of the best superhero movies of all time)

bets of all, and not mentioned anywhere else in  the thread,  Rose Byrne who is seriously yummy

Only just got the chance to see this. I feel like it's probably not the best film in the world, but it was hard to see that through the tears of joy I was crying because someone decided to make the 90's X-Men cartoon into a big budget action movie. This is by far the most fan servicey film I've ever seen and I fucking loved it.

Just saw this and to be honest even with really low expectations it managed to disappoint. The worst X-Men movie so far for me, even X3 wasn't quite as bad as this. It was paced and edited really weird, the whole movie felt stilted somehow. Not helped by the wooden acting from the majority of the cast (especially from Sansa) and dubious cgi effects that gave the whole thing a Power Rangers look. Especially Apocalypse himself, he looked so corny and not threatening at all.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just saw this and to be honest even with really low expectations it managed to disappoint. The worst X-Men movie so far for me, even X3 wasn't quite as bad as this. It was paced and edited really weird, the whole movie felt stilted somehow. Not helped by the wooden acting from the majority of the cast (especially from Sansa) and dubious cgi effects that gave the whole thing a Power Rangers look. Especially Apocalypse himself, he looked so corny and not threatening at all.

Have you watched X3 recently? There's no way this is worse. 

Totally agree about Apocalypse though, especially annoying as I think Issac would have been a perfect pick for A certain other character:

The teased next bad guy Mr. Sinister

15 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

Have you watched X3 recently? There's no way this is worse. 

Totally agree about Apocalypse though, especially annoying as I think Issac would have been a perfect pick for A certain other character:

Hide contents

The teased next bad guy Mr. Sinister

I have to admit, I haven't seen X3 since it came out :D I just don't remember it being quite as shit as this one. Either way, I zero desire of watching either one ever again. You know what they say about the third one, eh?

I did not see the teaser you mention, was that in the post-credits? I usually stick around for those, but with X-Men Apocalypse I couldn't be bothered.

Had lower expectations because of the lukewarm reviews but quite enjoyed this for the silly, OTT romp that it is. Stargate happened, then Young Patrick Stewart stalked Moira with his magic brain hat, angry Smurf went to visit Bargain Bin Jared Leto, Sansa Stark made a meta joke about trilogies and The Better Version of Quicksilver stole the film. It then all gets a bit noisy, but there were still enough nods and winks to the camera, an engaging (and engaged) cast and spectacle to remain fun until the credits rolled.

• 1 month later...

I didn't notice before that this film opens with a demonstration of the time travel premise, then an explanation, and Wolverine interrupting the explanation to have them repeat the first three sentences.

They did not have great confidence in their own ability to tell a story.

• 1 month later...

Worth it for the Phoenix at the end.  Decent superhero film, xmen franchise delivers as usual.

such a deep set of characters to mine....really good selection of actors as well.

only thing that would improve this is gambit

Kind of surprised this is being given such short shrift by critics and film watching people on letterboxd and podcasts. I don't think there's much separating the last 3, except that by now the novelty is wearing more thin. People would be raving about the QuickSilver scene in this had they not seen something like it before. 

I love the X Men universe as depicted in these films, I wouldn't put X Men 2 as the best, I remember being bored senseless by the end at the cinema, I think they've lightened up since for the better. I don't know which is my favourite, I think they all contain brilliantly realised characters and scenes that surpass anything in the Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America films. The world of X Men is richer, the idea of this school for gifted children, the outside world treating mutants as an 'other', Charles being full of optimism and hope he can change attitudes and live in unity, Erik being full of hatred and revenge, scarred by his treatment of people and fearing it will always be him against them, i find that so much more real and compelling than the counter terrorism tedium of the last two Captain Americas and the insufferable obnoxious bollocks of Iron Man.

Just watching Magneto rise up like a god, arms open as he does and manipulate metal..that alone is brilliant to watch. I think just the way each character controls their power, harnesses, utilities it, the way they know and challenge their limitations, makes it always more compelling from a superhero standpoint. 

I thought Magneto's scenes in this again were superb, Fassbender elevating it. Each X Men film can pull something like this out, they always have that richness and potential. You could see the absolute fear in the eyes of Erik's co workers as they realised the havoc about to be wreaked upon them. I loved what he could do with a single coin. 

I think even though X Men is an assemble of characters each with specific gifts, the films don't allow the plot to get in the way of that like in other superhero films, it always bring it back to each individual character and their power.

Yeah, I think the main difference is that First Class had a good, well put together story, Day's of Future Past had a decent story and some nice scenes and Apocalypse had a load of mostly unrelated stuff happen and then ended. It had a few good scenes, but like many sequels decided that it was a better idea to re-create elements that people liked instead of trying to create new moments.