X-Men Apocalypse - Singer returns to direct - 2016

Professor Puzzles

Saw the trailer for this before Civil War on IMAX last night. Jesus H. Christ, it was one of the loudest things I've ever heard. Louder than a jet engine parping out drum and bass. Katniss Everdeen appeared to turn up at one point, which was kind of cool. Then Independence Day 2's trailer got played and my ears just straight got up and left.

Will go and see Apocalypse because, generally, the X-Men movies have been decent. Surprised by the middling reviews for this, but as always think it best to see something you're interested in anyway, because critics can get it wrong. Except for Batman Vs Superman, man they nailed that one and threw it in the sea.

6 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Oh dear, reading lots of bad reviews about this.

Oh well, saves me twenty quid.

£20 quid?!? Most I've paid is about £9 to see a movie I think.

Doubt I'll bother seeing this, as it looked so naff in the trailers - the cgi looks terrible in a lot of the shots, like it was from a made for TV film or something.

I'm going watching it on Friday. I've no real interest in it though and I'm only going cos my mate wants to and I have an Unlimited card. It's a strange one: I was more intrigued to watch BvS than this because I wanted to see how bad it was. This just seems so...average.

I was expecting it to be poor and was pleasantly surprised. The Quicksilver scene was by far the highlight and better than the one in the last film. Nighcrawler was good too, the other new additions were a bit meh. It was a bit too cheesy in places but it wasn't bad. I'd even say I thought it was decent.

29 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I was expecting it to be poor and was pleasantly surprised. The Quicksilver scene was by far the highlight and better than the one in the last film. Nighcrawler was good too, the other new additions were a bit meh. It was a bit too cheesy in places but it wasn't bad. I'd even say I thought it was decent.

This is reasonably accurate.

Another thing, spoilered, but if you'd seen the last trailer of the film to have been released, you'd know about it anyway.  Basically, the bit with

Wolverine

was pretty damn awesome.  Surprisingly violent too, for the age rating.

Having thought about it more on the train ride back from seeing it (I was out of town and near an IMAX so thought I may as well), I'd actually say I did the opposite to what I did when I went to see Civil War a few days ago, where I found more stuff that niggled at me that I didnt like.  With this, if anything I found more stuff that I did.  I still wouldnt say it was a better film than CW, and it certainly has flaws - there are too many characters crammed in that feel like they're just there to make numbers up and seriously, they really have too many scenes that go into cheesy territory.  But aside from the cool parts I've already mentioned, some of the character stuff is terrific, with Fassbender being pretty damn awesome as Magneto, who's story has the kind of emotion I wish we'd seen in Civil War.

Also, I have no idea what, if anything the after credits scene was hinting at.  I'm not that familiar with some of the X Men stories, so while stuff got shown, I have no idea what it was for.  Anyone know?

This film is a complete dog's dinner. It's one of the most tonally jumbled films I've ever seen. It's like they had two, possibly three, scripts for more serious dramatic films like X-Men 2, but there was a comical mishap and an intern dropped them into a tombola full of pages from the old 90's X-Men cartoon and they didn't have time to sort them so just grabbed a handful and filmed what they had as is. The first hour seems to flit from scene to scene and location to location with little rhyme or reason. There's something really wonky up with the sense of time, it feels like days or even weeks have gone by in one storyline and then it'll suddenly cut back to another bunch of characters and it seems about half an hour has passed in theirs. But despite all that I somehow kinda enjoyed it. Maybe because it's so goofily earnest in its idiocy? Maybe I just have a soft spot for distilled schlock.

I'll give some examples of what I mean by tonal whiplash in the film.

There's a storyline about Magneto's wife and child getting killed. It's all played deadly seriously and filmed in a very down to earth fashion. Then during a highly dramatic scene where he's probably going to murder his friends and neighbours, suddenly three cartoon characters enter from stage left. Admittedly it did lead to a funny line.

Then there's a scene set in Auschwitz. The holocaust stuff in the previous films never bothered me. But here it feels all sorts of weird. Maybe because you have Michael Fassbender doing his best to emote and give weight to his character's torment, except on one side of him you have a women wearing a stripper outfit and on the other a bloke in a monster costume that wouldn't look out of place on an episode of Doctor Who.

Then there's a highly charged dramatic scene followed immediately you an extended comedic Quicksilver sequence set to a pop song because people liked that in the last film, right?

This film probably has a death toll that makes Man of Steel look like an episode of The A-Team (Cairo alone has a population of over 7 million according to Google), but its completely glossed over for a happy clappy ending. You even have a news reporter gushing about Magneto helping when he was the one responsible for killing millions, possibly billions of people in the first place.

I could never say in good conscience that it was a good film, but I did find myself entertained, which is more than I can say for BvS.

I'll admit I proper lolled at the line...

...where they throw Last Stand under the bus.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as George Clooney on this. I didn't think it was terrible, but it's no where near on the level of something like Civil War or as good as some of the previous X Men films. It's a good film and that's probably where I'd leave it as I did enjoy it and thought some of the set pieces were actually done really well. I really enjoyed Fassbender and the emotion behind Magnetos story. Still unsure about Apocalypse though, I still don't think they got him right.

Also at times it did feel too much like Xmen Kids.

I'd give it 6.5/10 and say it's about on par with X1

Regarding the end credit scene.  it has to be setting up

Spoiler

Mr.Sinister right? Essex Corps is surely Nathanial Essex. Which is great cause Sinister is awesome. Shame they've done the films the wrong way round though, as didn't Sinister awaken Apocalypse?

Yeah I'm not too sure about Apocalpyse either.  I don't think he was as good as he could have been but I don't think he was terrible either.  He was ok.  But he's supposed to be the most powerful mutant ever, and I don't think that really came across.  In fact, aside from amplifying other mutants powers, it was a bit vague as to what he could really do I thought.

I'm in agreement, it's fine but nothing particularly special. It definitely has problems in several departments, and as usual it's heavily weighted towards how good Fassbender is and how fascinating Magneto is as a character. No matter what, everything else seems so frivolous against what he's been through. I agree with Harsin about the particulars of that, though it didn't sour me so much on the overall experience. I just think tackling anything like that has to be done with the utmost reserve and seriousness, and 

Spoiler

having a CG action scene take place in Auschwitz is a terrible misstep. 

The film bounces around excitedly for half its running time, giving new and old characters minute-long scenes before heading somewhere else. They never really dig into anyone besides Magneto, and as a result you can be pretty blasé about everything kicking off at the end. I think everyone did a decent job with what they had though. X-Men films always seem to have a problem appearing big and important, like they aren't quite ready to step up, and this is no different.

But, there wasn't a dull moment and it certainly didn't feel long to me. I like these characters, no matter how little they sometimes get to work with, and it was fun seeing them in action again.

I will say I did enjoy the final showdown

Spoiler

Quicksilver knocking the crap out of Apocalypse then Charles going into his head and kicking arse (to start with anyway), before Apocalypse growing big and throwing him round like a toy.

I was sat their thinking, come on Jean hurry up and Phoenix up. With everyone else blasting Apocalypse it was cool seeing her come and deliver the final blow. Hopefully these prequel films will touch on the Phoenix a lot better than X3 ever did.

I wonder what he meant by that last comment though just before he died. It was like a prophecy was coming true, can't remember exactly what he said now though but it kinda seemed important.

This was pure schlock, but I have to admit I was pretty entertained during it. Its just at the right side of absolute nonsense that it kinda works. Sophie turner is no Famke Jansen though, even 51yr old Jansen would make a better school-girl Jean Grey.

Was also disappointed Psyclocke didn't get to deliver her classic Claremont line.

I like Sophie Turner but I just cannot for the life of me see her as Jean Grey.

There's part of me that wants an X-Men film going 110% Claremont because even though it would be awful, it'd swing right back into amazing. Monologues everywhere, cringey fetish scenes every 10 minutes, mad aliens & space pirates shit, Kitty Pryde throwing out every racial slur under the sun, techno-demons eating New York, Native American demons eating the world, redheads in bondage gear, body horror, Mojo, future Sentinel working on a construction site between gigs MURDERING ALL MUTANTS, terrible celtic accents, trips to Murderworld, all of it.

Speaking of going to the mall:

Spoiler

Remember those on-set pics of Jean, Scott, Kurt and Jubilee there? Never made it into the film. Director's cut fodder, perhaps.

Also, anything that makes Munn's fight choreography and workout routine remotely worthwhile.