IGNORED

X-Men Apocalypse - Singer returns to direct - 2016

Professor Puzzles

The trailers killed any interest I might have had, just really over the top with the silly-looking cg, and away from what I liked about First Class and to a lesser extent DoFP.

I am also a bit burnt out on superhero films anyway.

It's strange as the trailers for this did absolutely nothing for me but on a spur of the moment I decided to go see this yesterday and loved it. I watched Civil War last week and thought it was a bloated mess, but this ticked all the boxes for me. Fassbender was amazing throughout, and I thought on the whole the young cast was decent. Full disclosure here, in that I'm not a comic book aficionado, but for my money it's the best of all the Xmen films. 

On a side note iv read a fair few criticisms that it's not respectful to the source material blah blah blah. Well as far as I can see Marvel always has about 20 alternate universes for every character so what difference does it make to add one more?

I really didn't enjoy this. It felt far too unfocused and felt like someone had turned X-men up to 11. Apart from Magneto (Fassbender was great) there was no real character development for any of the many, many others. I still rate X-men 2 and First Class above the rest, but would put this just above The Last Stand.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. It's like a good movie and a bad movie merged. Also, Fox must have found they only spent part of their particle effects budget and it was coming to the end of the financial year so they just had to blow the lot in one go.

Spoiler

I wish Magnet-Man would make up his bloody mind what side he's on. It's getting a bit silly.

Someone mentioned already, but all the destruction seems to have been glossed over way too easily.

At the climax I just kept wondering, given the world ending stakes, if Xavier couldn't just use his mind powers to destroy his own mind and make it useless for taking over.

But at least we find out how he lost his hair.

I enjoyed it but easily the worst of the last 3 X-Men films.

Magneto in the air doing stuff as part of the big set piece at the end, how many times is this now?  Charles may as well say 'Come on Eric we know you'll come good in the end'-  probably start smoking a cigar with his feet up.  The Auschwitz bit seemed weird, trying to recapture the excellent scene from Magneto: Origins or whichever one it was.

Can we stop rebuilding Cerebro as well, only seems to bring trouble that thing.  

The four horsemen were pretty rubbish, I think most of their screen time was stood posing at the top of that sandy bit.  

Apocalypse - seemed poorly fleshed out, and other than a lot of exposition it wasn't really clear about his powers which didn't help.  Guy wakes up grumpy and forms a gang, gets beat.  

Wolverine scene, was one of the best in a while.  

Quicksilver was good, Jean/Cyclops/Nightcrawler reasonable.  Jubilee it seemed was going to be a character and then other than few small segments didn't make the cut.

Just a bit messy overall.  I'm really left hoping for one of these superhero movies now for the big bad to actually succeed in their world destroying plan, would at least be interesting.

I went in with low expecations and ended up quite enjoying it! I was in hysterics during *that* Quicksilver scene, but yeah, agreed that the tone shifts all over the place.

Also, why does nobody look any older in this film? Isn't Alex Summers supposed to be about 40 by this point?

Saw it on Friday (about 10 people in Cinema, admittedly during afternoon)

Overall...it's just meh. It's not offensively bad or anything - but it's not good. It just kinda...is.

The complete lack of motivation for many many characters doesn't help.- particularly the main villain who's motivation and powers are so vague (he needs help why given what we see him do?)

It's just dull. They've got massive amounts of CGI in huge scenes - and it's all boring. There's no spectacle. None of the powers are used in interesting/inventive ways (Psyloke comes closest - Cyclops worse. I'll stand and blast. Now I'll stand and blast again for a long time.)

(More plot related spoilers)

Hate that Mystique is so important. It sort of makes sense after DofP - but it's still a big departure. Really hate that she and Beast are in "human mode" for pretty much the entire file cus of star power. 

Remember the scene in X2 where Nightcrawler asks why she doesn't look like a "normal" human all the time? Try squaring that with the character here.

The X-kids are all serviceable - but not spectacular. Jeans "finger to forehead" gets a little annoying. There's no "pay off" earned for this iteration though (going up against the biggest bad on first outing without any combat training? Ha) - but they still try and cash in. 

Jean's "I am the Pheonix" moment is woefully sudden given we've seen her for about 15 minutes of screen time

Angel and Psylock are pretty pointless and have little motivation - Psylock gets the best power moment when she turns her sword into a whip though.

Given the fact Havok just died (admittedly cus he's stupid) and everyone's in danger - Quicksilver's vamping while rushing to safe everyone felt jarringly out of place

It was pretty disappointing. It's like there are lots of promising elements, but every single one is underdeveloped in some way. I suspect this is because there's just too much plot to move around to assemble two teams in one film, no matter how long the running time.

For instance, the new teenage mutants seem alright - better than the annoying dancing ones in First Class at least - but they don't really get enough time to establish their characters, or really develop in any way. Part of this is because of a big fan service scene in the middle of the film that contributes absolutely nothing to the plot, which could instead have been a great opportunity for Cyclops et al to gel more as a team before having to go and tackle the world's most out-of-control CGI department at the finale.

Also, Magneto's all-too-predicatable return-to-evil-doing scene is nearly really well done, but somewhat ruined by a Prometheus-grade plot contrivance. I could think of hundreds of ways to have made that play out in a more plausible way. When he finally joins up with King Cornetto and the other Power Rangers, it's kind of weird that he's willing to play second fiddle while they stand around dramatically on hill tops, notably not doing any character development stuff at all.

Also, J Law needs to fuck off. Mystique's character is so neutered at this point there's just no point in her being there. I actually kind of thought that the film would have been a lot better if Mystique was the one who had joined the horsemen, and it was Fassbender who was forced to step up as an unwilling leader of the X-Men against Apocalypse. At least he's actually trying.

It's a shame you can't really send films back to the kitchen like in a restaurant, because I'd like to have seen this when it's cooked through.

14 hours ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Remember the scene in X2 where Nightcrawler asks why she doesn't look like a "normal" human all the time? Try squaring that with the character here.

Try squaring much of anything from the original trilogy with the prequel trilogy... There are so many problems with the timeline and other things that some characterisation being off is not really a big thing.

So, this wasn't great. My main take away from it was that everything about it felt inconsequential, which is the very opposite of what a film featuring Apocalypse should be like. Some nice moments overall, but if you're on the fence, I wouldn't bother. If they'd been able to get 30 more minutes of character development, it would have helped massively. They could trim out the middle section, that only exists to shoehorn in you-know-who, very easily.

Think I'm going to give this a miss at the cinema. As much as I like comic book movies I feel that there are two many and the quality of them has definitely gone down hill. I enjoyed deadpool but batman vs superman and captain America were disappointing to me. 

Looking forward to Dr strange as that looks quite different to anything else.

Pleasantly surprised by this. It certainty has its issues, and it's no X2 or Dofp, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than I feared after the reviews. The first half has massive pacing issues, and the second half has cgi issues, but there's plenty to like if you can get past that.

I thought it was pretty great for the most part. Wasn't really that enthused in advance (getting kind of superhero-movied out), but thought it was by far the best "big" one for ages. Certainly kicked the last Captain America one into touch.

Completely off topic but still in the realms of Xmen. There's a new honest trailer for Xmen The Animated Series and it made reference to the Japanese intro for the show. Has anyone seen this before, it's amazing.

SHOCK!

I watched X2 yesterday, after watching this on the weekend. It really is such an amazing movie, so many brilliant set pieces, Nightcrawler in the Whitehouse, Magneto escaping, Wolverine in the mansion, Mystique at Weapon X.

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Completely off topic but still in the realms of Xmen. There's a new honest trailer for Xmen The Animated Series and it made reference to the Japanese intro for the show. Has anyone seen this before, it's amazing.

SHOCK!

That's awesome! .... apart from the clumsy zoom-out on a still picture at the end.

CRY FOR THE MOON!

On 23/05/2016 at 0:11 AM, Spainkiller said:

Olivia Munn as Psylocke was the best thing about this film but I only say that because my fetish is basically exotic brunettes.

By best you mean worst, yeah? Shit acting and crap effects.

I sort of enjoyed this. Although halfway through I just thought 'imagine the cartoon but as a film' and this kind of fit the bill.

The CGI ranges from 'fucking awful' to 'pretty great'. Such a disparity throughout.

Also a lot of the Henryk/Erik scenes felt really out of place, like they were from a different film. Probably because Fassbender's acting chops are tip-top.

Holy fuck, now I feel bad about slagging batman off after watching this fucking garbage. How on gods green earth do people keep suggesting singer is the patron saint of comic book movies. It's a festering pile of shit that looks like it was made from the budget of Farscape episode.

There's some cunt from Empire that does a a segment on Radio 6 every Friday morning that I have to listen to on the work radio who keeps spoiling large chunks of film plots, so that magazine can do one.

2 hours ago, Ivanho said:

I would imagine that Empire's 2 star review of the film might change that.

I saw that as well. Makes a change. It's typically a trade mag more than one geared towards consumers. It's access is incredible mind.