Jump to content

'Arcade' style racing games. Are they still about?


Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...

Attempted to play Destiny on PS3 last night, first time in months. It's not a quick game to load so it was a pain for it to do so then tell me it wasn't going to work without a system update. Which I did, then it loaded and decided it needed Compatibility Pack 3 at almost 2.5GB. Then when it finished that, Compatibility Pack 2 at 1.5GB. Fuck off.

Flicked through my XBLA list instead and settled on Hydro Thunder Hurricane. Booted in seconds but it was the trial only, could swear I'd bought it :( Went to "buy" and it just said "redownload" so I must've done, took a few seconds to get the full unlock and then I was in.

AND IT WAS EPIC. Mostly ran a Gauntlet level over and over trying to hit gold to unlock a boat skin, I'm just .45 seconds off it and there's an easily cuttable corner so I can do it, but it was getting on for 1am by then. What a great game, hooks right in from the off :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I've already got Pacer. Its no Wipeout IMO. Looks nice but tracks are pretty atmosphericless.

 

I have it too - I was a backer of the Kickstarter when it had the non-shit name Formula Fusion

 

I've played a few builds of it and it's average to poor. It's not a Wipeout game in anything but implication and visual style, and handles like a poor man's F-Zero or Fast RMX. Fine for five minutes if you see it for a fiver. Otherwise, avoid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know it became kind of a joke, but I really miss Ridge Racer. I've been replaying Type 4 via the PSTV and it holds up beautifully as a no-nonsense racer with great presentation and progression. It's one of the handful of racing games I 100% completed back in the day. I'm also making my way through Ridge Racer 2 on PSP emulation (which I had no idea was so advanced), and that is a superb game, taking me back to days of memorising every twist and turn, eking out every fraction of a second. With a bit of upscaling it even holds up visually. I think Namco are probably pretty much done with it, but a more modest digital release focusing on the defining elements would be a treat. More tracks, more cheesy but somehow great tunes...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss it too. I've been playing loads of Revolution on the PS1 lately, re-learning the hard-mode track I could never do as a kid and trying to beat all of the ghosts. Picked up a NegCon too but I haven't got the hang of it, yet. Time to finally invest in a steering wheel, maybe? What do you folks play with? (I want to get into the Touge King and Initial D series on PS1/Saturn/PS2/PS3, too, so a wheel might actually be worth it.)

 

I'm playing bits of Ridge Racers on PSP (the JP release of 'Ridge Racer') and it's a really fun "best-of" compilation that looks strikingly beautiful even now. I also have Type 4 and Ridge Racer V to be getting on with, before I check out the whole latter half of the series I have no experience with at all (but from what I understand has a very different emphasis). Would love to see a port of Revolution or the PSP Ridge Racer 2 to PC. There's a good amount of arcade-style racers on Steam but nothing to touch either of those...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2020 at 23:10, SeanR said:

uh, guys?

 

does this qualify?

 

 

Ha missed this looks great! Reminds me of Sega's PowerDrift....

 

I've been playing a bit of Hotshot Racing recently which is a fun arcade racer in the style of Virtua Racer.

 

Of course Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit has also been remastered recently which is great as never played it originally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was hoping Hotshot racing would satisfy this itch, but it's not purely my driving skill (or lack thereof) versus the clock. I mean, good game, but it's not purely what I'm after. Horizon Chase is another good contender, but that goes way back on the arcade mechanics, and I fear I'm getting a bit old for that sort of brutal, unforgiving gaming :D 

 

My annual "I wish we could club together enough money for someone to make a new Outrun" post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sabreman said:

I know it became kind of a joke, but I really miss Ridge Racer. I've been replaying Type 4 via the PSTV and it holds up beautifully as a no-nonsense racer with great presentation and progression. It's one of the handful of racing games I 100% completed back in the day. I'm also making my way through Ridge Racer 2 on PSP emulation (which I had no idea was so advanced), and that is a superb game, taking me back to days of memorising every twist and turn, eking out every fraction of a second. With a bit of upscaling it even holds up visually. I think Namco are probably pretty much done with it, but a more modest digital release focusing on the defining elements would be a treat. More tracks, more cheesy but somehow great tunes...

 

RIdger Racer 2 on the PSP is an amazing thing - I'm not enough of an expert on Ridge Racer to say, but it seems to have every track from every game up to RR Type 4, at 60fps, including the tracks from Rave Racer. It's a shame it doesn't have the story mode and context from Type 4, which incredibly is kind of the best bit - I'd dispute that it's no-nonsense, those soap opera stories told through those weird overexposed images while tinkly acid jazz plays in the background are pure nonsense but also far more engaging than they have any right to be - but just having those tracks is good enough.

 

I really wish they'd remaster Type 4. That clean, slick UI would look incredible on a modern display, and the tracks are crying out for modern lighting. I can't think of many games that take me back to university more than RR Type 4, the jazzy house soundtrack seems to perfectly evoke the carefree feel of having a few races while tucking into a few cans before going out on a Friday night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Dirt 5 is the best thing i've played for a year or so.  I don't even see it as a rally game, just a good bit of arcade racing.


I enjoy the racing in Dirt 5 but it’s just one massive list of events, I get very little sense of progression or achievement from it. I could be on the first, middle or last event, they all feel pretty much the same. Hence I dip in and out of it and I’m not really invested in it, I will finish it but then I’ll probably forget it.
 

It has some DriveClub dna but the way the events were structured in DriveClub was much much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Dirt 5 is the best thing i've played for a year or so.  I don't even see it as a rally game, just a good bit of arcade racing.

I find that game utter garbage. It seems like a quick money grabbing salvage operation from Onrush's remains.

 

It controls bad, it's design is bad, and most importantly the frame rates are all over the place. Go play Forza 4 or WRC 9 and you will see what I mean.... I bought it cheap, played it for 2 hours and hated it so much that I deleted it from my Series X and I don't think I will ever reload it. 

 

OutRun 2016 next-gen console release please!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I find that game utter garbage. It seems like a quick money grabbing salvage operation from Onrush's remains.

 

It controls bad, it's design is bad, and most importantly the frame rates are all over the place. Go play Forza 4 or WRC 9 and you will see what I mean.... I bought it cheap, played it for 2 hours and hated it so much that I deleted it from my Series X and I don't think I will ever reload it. 

 

OutRun 2016 next-gen console release please!

Hmmm well,  I am playing it on a gaming PC surely there can’t be much of a difference? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.