IGNORED

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's all about learned behaviour. Be the example, and those people will either adapt to the standard online mindset, or stop playing. I was at HR5 Urgent for Pink Rathian, and joined a room that was "Looking to raise HR" the other night. Naturally, as soon as we cleared the quest, I made sure to post it myself. The original room owner logged off at this point, but the other 2 stuck around. And, if anything, we took her down quicker! As soon as we got back into the lobby, I made sure to type "Your turn, H", so that hunter (if they didn't know the etiquette already) would be sure to pick it up. Just ensure to put in the chat what you are doing and why, and it will spread.

I just wish more people would swap guild cards at the start of a session!

So I'm up to my first urgent quest ( what looks like a big monkey from the icon ) & I've finally upgraded my armour & weapon after using the starting set for everything up to now.

I'm currently using the dual blades as I'm not really a big fan of blocking so a shield isn't much good.

I've killed the big Jaggi a few times in his 2 star quest & it goes pretty smoothly now, plus the big insect is straightforward too.

Anyway, to my questions;

Should I be aiming to get a full set of the same type of armour or is mixing & matching fine? At the moment I'm wearing some fancy Selta (?) pants & the rest is just some of the standard stuff.

Also, the best weapon I can build at the moment is the Jaggi blade, is it worth it or should I concentrate on upgrading my bone ones?

I've got what looks like slots on some of my armour, will that come naturally as I advance the story?

Finally, I tried the Insect Glaive but due to the rubbish nub on the new 3DS, the insect firing aspect is a no-go for me as by the time I've aimed the reticule, the monster is usually smacking me in the face. Is the weapon still viable without that aspect, as I quite like the jumping thing?

Oh, and I need more Frills, do I just keep killing the big boy till it drops? I've tried concentrating on his face the last couple of goes but no joy.

Don't worry too much about armor at first, but it is a nice idea to make some sets, Jaggi and Tetsu sets are great at low rank as is the Velociprey set, skills activate at 10 points and most sets come with activated skills, the slots in the armor are for decorations which activate more armor skills.

Make as many weapons as you want, you will end up with loads.

The insect is really important, the triple red buff is massive damage.

Oh, and I need more Frills, do I just keep killing the big boy till it drops? I've tried concentrating on his face the last couple of goes but no joy.

EVERYBODY needs more King's Frills at that point of the game! It is less likely to drop than most of his bits, and isn't even guaranteed if you wound the head. It is obvious once you have actually wounded the head, by the way, and you do need to wound it. Just hitting him in the face a lot isn't enough. The amazing thing is that it is now far more likely to drop than it was in Tri/3U, but still that's the problem item. Keep going, you'll get them.

Been experimenting with the Lance...and I like it!

For anyone just starting, I'd strongly advise you (in a similar way to Dark Souls) not to use wikis and guides until and unless you absolutely have to. MH4U is much, much better than its predecessors at telling you want you need to know, and the rest of the important stuff you can discover through experimentation, or asking on here. I'm sure I'm not following optimum upgrade paths for my weapons, but seem to be holding my own, and the upshot is that my past 30 hours of game time have been a constant voyage of discovery. You should also definitely start off with the caravan quests (single player), as this will make sure you're eased into the game, and by the time you venture into the big wide world of online, you'll have a fair idea of what you're doing - probably more so than most others at HR1! :)

I'm in a similar place and I'm trying to build the jaggi set of armour, but The Man does;t seem to have a Jaggi Chest piece or Jaggi Belt in his list of items. Got the helmet, gloves and boots though...

Whats that about? Anyone know if I am being an idiot?

Think Capcom pitched those Zelda gear quests a little on the hard side, they are High Rank but i've seen endless G Rankers carting (especially to Rajang) on my travels thru random room land today.

I am now in full Seregios armor with his Great Sword that sharpens itself when you evade.

The Seregios auto-sharpening is excellent for the Great Sword, you really only lose Purple sharpness when you have to panic-block two attacks in quick succession. Very handy when you're soloing things, in particular. I eventually found a FastCharge+5 charm with two slots, so I've got Focus and Critical Draw on the set too.

I've been doing the Zelda quests as well, they can go very quickly (about ten minutes each) if you somehow find a competent G-Rank group through the unwieldy search options, but more often people are carting all over the place even through my Lifepowder spam. Both took me about 25 minutes when I soloed them, but it would probably work out faster in the long run! Akantor's especially bad, people don't seem to realise that you can dispel the Defense Down debuff with an Adamant Seed, so they just get one-shot even in decent armour. I had a really obnoxious G-Crown player in an Akantor event quest room last night, he was the second to cart to Akantor in our first hunt, then just idled in the base camp while myself and another guy spent the next ten minutes finishing it off. Jumped down to carve though, obviously. After that he insisted we do Teostra over and over so he could get a gem, refusing to alternate with the Akantor quests ("I don't need it"), then when the rest of us decided it was time to do the Akantor quest he spent the entire time running to the opposite end of Ingle Isle to Akantor, before eventually disconnecting when his idling plans proved unviable. Unbelievable! :angry:

Some pieces of gear only show up once you have a particular component required to craft it, I think.

Thats weird, cos the others were in the list even when I couldn't craft them.

Cheers though, I'll just keep mounting the G.Jaggi until things go my way. (Oh er).

(Loving the Insect Glaive.)

It's usually a specific item that unlocks a piece of armour in the blacksmith's list, some parts might only need regular Jaggi Scales to show up, but I think the ones you're missing require a King's Frill, which you can only get by breaking Great Jaggi's head. I found it difficult to break his head before he dies in the Caravan quest, so I ended up doing the Gathering Hall quest when I was looking for King's Frills.

Fellow Hunters, I've piled 50 hours into this now and am absolutely adoring it. Thing is, I'm getting to the point where I want to nerd out learning how stuff works behind the scenes, ie the mechanics that drive the combat. Has anyone gone in depth with 4U yet? Or is there a good resource / explanation for one of the previous games that may suffice?

I'm asking because I'm currently torn between going for attack skill vs sharpness +1.. I don't actually know the benefits of sharpness beyond deflect chance.. Does it make a difference to damage too? Etc etc. This isn't the only question I have, hence craving a resource that I can bookmark and revise between hunts..

It's usually a specific item that unlocks a piece of armour in the blacksmith's list, some parts might only need regular Jaggi Scales to show up, but I think the ones you're missing require a King's Frill, which you can only get by breaking Great Jaggi's head. I found it difficult to break his head before he dies in the Caravan quest, so I ended up doing the Gathering Hall quest when I was looking for King's Frills.

Great thanks, I'll try that.

Fellow Hunters, I've piled 50 hours into this now and am absolutely adoring it. Thing is, I'm getting to the point where I want to nerd out learning how stuff works behind the scenes, ie the mechanics that drive the combat. Has anyone gone in depth with 4U yet? Or is there a good resource / explanation for one of the previous games that may suffice?

I'm asking because I'm currently torn between going for attack skill vs sharpness +1.. I don't actually know the benefits of sharpness beyond deflect chance.. Does it make a difference to damage too? Etc etc. This isn't the only question I have, hence craving a resource that I can bookmark and revise between hunts..

GaijinHunter's stuff on his Tumblr is usually pretty concise and accurate, here's a thing he wrote about Sharpness. This wiki is handy too, but it might not be fully updated for MH4U yet. GameFAQs forum threads can sometimes be good for specific topics, you get people figuring out the numbers for evade frames and things like that.

You can do the sums yourself with the damage formula, but Sharpness+1 generally outclasses Attack Up outside of Low Rank, provided Sharpness+1 makes your weapon go up a level of sharpness, like from blue to white or white to purple. Attack is still almost always a better per-point damage boost than Expert though (the affinity-boosting skill), so it can be nice to have both. My armour set for High Rank and G1 had Sharpness+1, Attack Up XL and Evasion+1 (with the help of a decent Evasion charm).

I cleared The Caravaneer's Challenge earlier, and it seems like every NPC in the game has something to say about it! ^_^

Got up to HR6 this weekend and have completed all 1-6* caravan quests. Hunting horn parts seem to be impossible to farm so after 150+ hunts I've gone back to the trusty Great Sword. Had so many parts I managed to upgrade a basic sword to a Rath Flamesword. Gemmed in speed sharpen and Crit Draw with a Talisman so utterly kicking arse again. Just need one more part to forge Tetsu S vambraces and I'll have a full high rank set.

65 hours in and still barely scratched the surface. This game :wub:

Also, any tips for trying out as a gunner? I fancy changing it up.

The usual skills I look for when making:

Light bowgun:

Normal/ pierce/ pellet up

Attack up

Bonus shot (if you are into rapid fire)

Challenger

Combo pro.

Heavy bowgun:

Evade distance

Normal/ pierce/ pellet up

Attack up

Challenger

Don't use pellet unless you want to troll your online group.

For normal shots, make sure you're around 3-4 regular rolls away from your target. Pierce is about an extra roll or two away.

For normals you mainly shoot normal shot #2

For pierce its 1&2. Pierce 3 is mainly for larger targets (deviljho etc)

Element shots don't require you to be within a certain distance for maximum efficiency. There is a range to them before they disappear.

Edit: pissing auto correct

Had great fun with Ingy and Stab getting up to HR4 over the weekend. Playing with my brother who hasn't really made it that far in MH3 or 4, I did understand the possible negative effects a good multiplayer team can have in that you don't really get enough time to learn the monsters before they're dead. I'd already fought them in Caravan quests but I don't think he had and probably still doesn't know how to.

Of course, all of those worries dissipate in the warm memory of absolutely destroying any poor Seltas that got separated from their Queen, especially the second one which didn't even get to escape the area!

Afterwards I found I only needed 2 Gore Feelers to make a new Charge Blade so yesterday I braved the Desire Sensor and farmed the solo and Gore/Iodrome quests. Got the Feelers after 5 attempts and then found I could upgrade immediately because I lucked out on a Super Gore Plate when I farmed the Wheel quest so I ended up with a blue Sharpness, Dragon affinity weapon.

Took it for a test run against a Great Jaggi and whacked its head off in under 10 seconds!

I think a Forum Time Attack challenge might be in order...

What is the 'desire sensor'?

In other news, I had a quick go at the Bow tutorial, flipping heck aiming that is a bit tricky! And maintaining the optimal distance. Quite satisfying though, especially once I worked out how to use the AoE special. Just wish it aimed the same direction as the camera automatically, so I could fire after tapping L :P

What is the 'desire sensor'?

Its in all monster hunter games!

'desire sensor' - the game can detect exactly what part you need(desire) and deliberately not give it to you! Its magic! The amazing! Its the monster hunter 'desire sensor' since 2004!

Played a little more online over the weekend, but mostly helping people through HR1, as I'm waiting on an engineer to patch-up my internets properly. I've cleared all 4* caravan quests now though, so should really put more focus into getting promoted out of HR2 online.

I've fallen in love with lances, and the simple fact that gunlances exist (it's a GUN and and LANCE!) mean that I've not run into many other lance users online so far, so I feel like more of a special snowflake ;)

I was really pleasantly surprised, as I am with any MH weapon I end up actually trying, at the variety in the moveset:

• 3 hit combos can be 3 jabs forwards, 3 jabs upwards, or a combination of the two; allowing for monster movement mid-combo and targeting very specific areas.
  • 3 jabs and a sidestep/hop can reposition you for an immediate follow-up combo, or shift you out of harms way surprisingly effectively.
  • Smart positioning and the backwards hop can be used to dodge a charging monster.
  • The running-charge move is great for chasing a fleeing/injured monster, or when they jump out of jab range.
  • Blocking! Gloriously effective blocking!
  • Need more practice to get the hang of the charged counter-attack, but the feeling when I connected with the head of a Rathian that was charging straight at me, and knocked it down, was amazing!

In conclusion: Lances :wub:

Had great fun with Ingy and Stab getting up to HR4 over the weekend. Playing with my brother who hasn't really made it that far in MH3 or 4, I did understand the possible negative effects a good multiplayer team can have in that you don't really get enough time to learn the monsters before they're dead. I'd already fought them in Caravan quests but I don't think he had and probably still doesn't know how to.

Of course, all of those worries dissipate in the warm memory of absolutely destroying any poor Seltas that got separated from their Queen, especially the second one which didn't even get to escape the area!

I kinda felt the same way myself, yesterday. Was at a StreetPass meeting, and went in to help one of the hunters farm Pink Rathian for a Ruby. She was HR6, but her boyfriend was HR140-ish, which is apparently G-Rank Special Permit. Their friend was HR54, and I was the straggler at HR5. After 4 runs where poor Pinkian was only lasting a couple of minutes, they started doing her HR6 Key Quests. Which means that I have now fought Stygian Zinogre, Azure Rathalos, and Brute Tigrex. To be fair to myself, I only actually fainted against the Brachydios, and was mostly in the face of the others at all times. Yes, no way could I solo these, and I barely learned the Brute Tigrex in particular. Nicely, the same group helped me to clear Seregios on the boat, which meant I got to make the Vadya Muse HH. Roll to sharpen? SOLD!

I think a Forum Time Attack challenge might be in order...

Perhaps in the Arena quests, to make things more fair? Everyone having to use the same equipment, etc.

I agree but it was worth it for the lols and a chance for me to practice gunning, when I got the chance the go into uninterrupted siege mode with the HBG while you all whaled on the Seltas Queen she died in about 3 minutes.

I was there too! (kerumba)

I said it online and I'll say it again: Stabasco is the best name.

Anyone on this evening?