IGNORED

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going to add lots of you guys tonight.

I need a hand with this - currently got about 8 hours in, looking to start on multiplayer, but little clue where to start! It's pretty daunting. So, if any of you want to chum me through some of the low rank missions, that would be good. I've got a nice switch axe, but not much idea of what I'm doing!

Code is 3308-4584-9170

I think we may be friends already, but I need to do some Friend Code housekeeping as my list is full.

I know I've asked already, but Koala, can you *please* remove the poll from this now? It's really annoying scrolling down past it every time on every page... :)

Added you. (@boxoctosis)

I reached 40hrs in and Gore Magala and got a bit put off with the grindyness so have given it a breather for a week or so and now feel like I want to jump back in and really try and get my head round the perks and other mechanics as feel I need to understand these better to enjoy and better my progression.

I don't really feel like there's much grindiness man, what do you mean, exactly? For me it's great as you only really have to grind if you really want something, generally player ability seems most important.

Also, here's me. Was not expecting to be able to manage friend stuff while a game was running! Impressive, Nintendo.

post-665-0-99513300-1426612762_thumb.jpg

So, questions;

Is there any major benefit ( aside from looking cool ) to wearing all the same armour? I've finally got the parts to make my last two Jaggi pieces but that involve dropping my Defense by a reasonable amount ( say 20 odd points ), is it worth it?

When I read one of the help screens about skills, it said that they only activate once you reach a certain number, how do I tell if one of the skills is active or not as I kind of assumed that they were always 'on'?

Similar question to the one above, I just unlocked decorations & made a vitality one. I attached it to my armour, does it now mean I automatically have more health or does it need to be 'activated'?

I'm pretty good against the basic monsters now ( Jaggi, Raptor, etc ) but on expeditions, I can't cope with multiple creatures at the same time, any tips?

So, questions;

Is there any major benefit ( aside from looking cool ) to wearing all the same armour? I've finally got the parts to make my last two Jaggi pieces but that involve dropping my Defense by a reasonable amount ( say 20 odd points ), is it worth it?

When I read one of the help screens about skills, it said that they only activate once you reach a certain number, how do I tell if one of the skills is active or not as I kind of assumed that they were always 'on'?

Similar question to the one above, I just unlocked decorations & made a vitality one. I attached it to my armour, does it now mean I automatically have more health or does it need to be 'activated'?

I'm pretty good against the basic monsters now ( Jaggi, Raptor, etc ) but on expeditions, I can't cope with multiple creatures at the same time, any tips?

Skills activate once the combined total hits 10. (Or -10.) There may be versions of the skills with amplified effects at 15, 20, etc., but not in all cases. So, that Vitality gem that gives you 2 in 'Health'' is currently useless. It could give you 9, you would still need to find another 1 point from somewhere. Equip 4 more Vitality gems, however, and you get 'Health Up (S)' activated. This gives you a further 20 hp.

The Jaggi armour may drop your overall defence, but it will give you a boost to your attack (Attack Up (S)), along with a boost to your Stun resistance (Halve Stun). So, it comes down to deciding if you feel that being able to take more hits is more useful to you than damaging the monsters more quickly, and needing to be hit twice as much before you are dizzied. Attack boosts basically mean more as you get better at the game, and learn to get hit less, which is why most suggest starting with the Jaggi set.

On expeditions, you either need to take Dung Bombs and throw them at the unwanted monster, or learn to hit just the one monster enough so that it leaves. Eventually, and you might not believe this right now but it will eventually be the case, you'll more or less not have any problem with 2 monsters on screen. Be forewarned, though, that as soon as you get that comfortable ... the game will know and will ensure that the monsters that double-team you are the utter bastards that you have the biggest trouble against!

I don't really feel like there's much grindiness man, what do you mean, exactly? For me it's great as you only really have to grind if you really want something, generally player ability seems most important.

Yeh, maybe grindiness is the wrong word. I think I just hit a wall and was getting a bit frustrated in trying to get past it so went looking for parts which I didn't get (desire sensor in effect!). Still a great game and like I said I just need to understand the mechanics a bit better to get more out of it. Will add you as well. :)

Skills activate once the combined total hits 10. (Or -10.) There may be versions of the skills with amplified effects at 15, 20, etc., but not in all cases. So, that Vitality gem that gives you 2 in 'Health'' is currently useless. It could give you 9, you would still need to find another 1 point from somewhere. Equip 4 more Vitality gems, however, and you get 'Health Up (S)' activated. This gives you a further 20 hp.

The Jaggi armour may drop your overall defence, but it will give you a boost to your attack (Attack Up (S)), along with a boost to your Stun resistance (Halve Stun). So, it comes down to deciding if you feel that being able to take more hits is more useful to you than damaging the monsters more quickly, and needing to be hit twice as much before you are dizzied. Attack boosts basically mean more as you get better at the game, and learn to get hit less, which is why most suggest starting with the Jaggi set.

On expeditions, you either need to take Dung Bombs and throw them at the unwanted monster, or learn to hit just the one monster enough so that it leaves. Eventually, and you might not believe this right now but it will eventually be the case, you'll more or less not have any problem with 2 monsters on screen. Be forewarned, though, that as soon as you get that comfortable ... the game will know and will ensure that the monsters that double-team you are the utter bastards that you have the biggest trouble against!

Cheers for this, very helpful stuff.

Is there anywhere I would have been able to tell, in game, that the full Jaggi set would give me those boosts or is it a wiki job?

Finally ( for now! ), should I have encountered more cats yet as I only have mine & one from that free DLC last week? I've just reached Hearth & killed the Tetsucabra if that's any help.

I'm deliberately not looking this stuff up on the net yet as I don't want to spoil anything accidentally. :)

Cheers for this, very helpful stuff.

Is there anywhere I would have been able to tell, in game, that the full Jaggi set would give me those boosts or is it a wiki job?

Finally ( for now! ), should I have encountered more cats yet as I only have mine & one from that free DLC last week? I've just reached Hearth & killed the Tetsucabra if that's any help.

I'm deliberately not looking this stuff up on the net yet as I don't want to spoil anything accidentally. :)

If you look at any piece of armour, the stats on it are (usually) complemented by every other piece of the same set to get enough points to activate the skills it puts points towards. The elemental resistances on it are usually indicative of the strengths/weaknesses of the monster it was made out of, too.

Just use the wiki or Kiranico, though. MonHunFun is all about the doing, it's practically unspoilable.

So, I farm my last Jaggi claws & made my armour set. I can see where the stats are now & that all makes sense, however it's not obvious where it indicates that I get an attack bonus, as mentioned above?

Took on an arena quest to kill the monkey, died numerous times before finally killing him after 17 minutes, that was hard work. I'm struggle to see how it can be done in under 4, lol.

You can see the difference on the status screen. (start, right, A).

Here's some screens showing me changing between attack up (s) and attack up (m).. The attack stat changes, as does the name of the skill.

post-665-0-47640600-1426665648_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-22752500-1426665664_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-65241900-1426665678_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-65534800-1426665690_thumb.jpg

And as for the arena quest, I think they're designed for multiplayer, really.

So, I farm my last Jaggi claws & made my armour set. I can see where the stats are now & that all makes sense, however it's not obvious where it indicates that I get an attack bonus, as mentioned above?

Took on an arena quest to kill the monkey, died numerous times before finally killing him after 17 minutes, that was hard work. I'm struggle to see how it can be done in under 4, lol.

I do apologise, that was my mistake. For whatever reason, I got Jaggi armour confused with Velociprey armour. Jaggi does not give an attack bonus, it gives Speed Sharpening and Halve Stun.

Late last night, I finally hit HR6, largely thanks to Kerumba for being THE MAN during a fight with a particularly angry Tigrex. I say finally, because I have joined quite a few "Looking to raise HR" rooms and fought plenty of Black Gravios, but the rooms almost always empty out after the hosts run through. So, I posted the quest myself and waited for others to join. One of whom fainted three times, and most annoyingly of all the third faint was WHILE THE DAMN THING WAS LIMPING TO IT'S SLEEP SPOT! We basically only needed to hit it about 3 more times, so frustrating.

I stopped playing for half an hour or so, and tried again. I might as well have been waiting all that half hour, it took about 15 minutes for anyone to turn up. Thankfully, the next 2 came in in about 2 or 3 minutes, and we made fairly short work of it. And, due to my activity at the StreetPass meet, I already have the urgent to get to me to HR7 available! But, I plan on clearing a few more of the HR5 and 6 quests first, if only to make me a better armour. (I very much doubt I'll find a better weapon in the near future than my Steve Horn!)

Just added the following:

cut

Couldn't see codes for others, or already have you on my list.

Will be venturing online for the first time later!

Okay addded:

Dood

Len

boxoctosis

Curtis

LarsenB

CheekyLee

MelonBread

Ingy

sealflap

Keyboard Koala

Garwoofoo

I'm: 4296-2965-2052

I have decided to play this online a lot more now - so ill check out the thread regularly to see if anyone wants to play, im free tonight from 7.30 - late.

At the moment ive mainly played offline, got good enough Armour for all High rank missions now i hope and weapon is good enough to get me to G rank. I think im on HR3 stuff online - but happy to play Low/High rank stuff and just help out.

see you guys online soon i hope.

Found a sweet-as Basarios Rock hunting horn on an expedition, polished it up in the volcano but the sharpness is only yellow. The Man can't upgrade it and spamming armour spheres or whatever it's using to upgrade at the volcano smithy just ups the attacking but leaves sharpness where it is. Should I just get rid of it?

Found a sweet-as Basarios Rock hunting horn on an expedition, polished it up in the volcano but the sharpness is only yellow. The Man can't upgrade it and spamming armour spheres or whatever it's using to upgrade at the volcano smithy just ups the attacking but leaves sharpness where it is. Should I just get rid of it?

I recall reading somewhere that Relic weapon sharpness never improves. Which is a pity, because I absolutely adored my Basarios Rock!

Basarios Rock :wub:

2ndGen-Hunting_Horn_Render_029.png

STUPID RELICS :angry:

Cheers! I'm only 2x Basarios Shells away from upgrading to one from a Velociprey Balloon + anyway and I'm currently smashing one to pieces with my Breath Core Hammer. Only need a few Fucium Ore to upgrade that to a Lava Core Hammer, then the fantastic music genre-inspired Crust Core Hammer after that. But then again, I could go the Blast route and farm Teostra (eventually, when I meet it).

I want all of the weapons.

Yellow sharpness isn't a big deal in low rank so long as you use the attack deflection prevention buff :) it's still my strongest weapon at the moment..

Should be online again tonight, after a bit of House of Cards. Upgraded a lance to something called "Undertaker" late last night, so keen to take it for a spin :D

Add you DoctorEgo. Will check this thread out from 7.30 ish or if i can see anyone online ill try to jump into a game... do we have a default lobby password???

My Friend Code is:

3883-8135-8060

I shall be on tonight so I'll check the thread later to see if anyone has posted any rooms up. :)

EDIT

I went to add some people to my Friends List from the thread in Online but I'm a little confused, why do I have to enter the name of the person as well as their code, what is the point of that? Surely it will pull their name from the code? Also, there isn't event enough characters for some people's names, have I missed something really obvious?

EDIT

I went to add some people to my Friends List from the thread in Online but I'm a little confused, why do I have to enter the name of the person as well as their code, what is the point of that? Surely it will pull their name from the code? Also, there isn't event enough characters for some people's names, have I missed something really obvious?

The name you add is a temp name assigned to them, it get replaced by their real name once they add you too. Just makes it easier to manage/delete people who have not added back etc.

EDIT

Added. It totally confused me first time round as well!

There's a list knocking about somewhere, start of the 3ds thread I think.