IGNORED

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm playing MH3U on Wii U because I don't play on handheld children's toys for babies. I've played about 5 hours and can't make my mind up on weapon. If I choose hammer will I shaft myself by not being able to cut off tails or doesn't it really matter? I was convinced I was gonna use Greatsword but it's so slow and it feels like a weapon you'd use when you've memorized the monster's behaviours. I'm thinking hammer or switchaxe. Thanks in advance, love Dad.

Doesn't matter, as you can always just use another weapon when you're chasing some tail.

Swtichaxe sword mode is a good shout for that and Longsword is an easy all-rounder with good reach.

I'm playing MH3U on Wii U because I don't play on handheld children's toys for babies. I've played about 5 hours and can't make my mind up on weapon. If I choose hammer will I shaft myself by not being able to cut off tails or doesn't it really matter? I was convinced I was gonna use Greatsword but it's so slow and it feels like a weapon you'd use when you've memorized the monster's behaviours. I'm thinking hammer or switchaxe. Thanks in advance, love Dad.

Yeah just use em all. Longswords would probably suit you at first or dual blades. Great Sword is not actually slow, it's a hit and run weapon, you never run around with it out, you run in hit, sheath then run away and wait for another opening. If the monster trips over you do your charge combo move.

Cheers for joining me ph0rce! Not sure if you ragequit or had a disconnect, lol, but it was good to hunt with you briefly. Make sure to heal more! A good tip once you have access to infinite honey (via the Wymporium), is to always bring some on missions with you, so you can combine it with the first aid meds you find, and effectively make megapotions out of them for nothing! If you tinker with the touchscreen setup you can get a 4-wide quick access item bar.

Right, another question, something is driving me mad while gathering. Mining points that just vanish into thin air - anyone else seen this? It's so weird - I'll spot a mining point in the distance, run over and it literally vanishes just as I'm about to hit A to mine. WTF. It can't be my palicoes mining as they're not anywhere near the mining stone when it happens. I've seen it happen in the volcanic caves and during expeditions. Any ideas?

Farming a level 49 Ruby Basarios by yourself is no easy task! Three large barrel bombs, ten bounce bombs, ten First Aid Meds, five Mega Potions and he's still going strong! I've broken his chest, wings and legs (I think) and he's showing no signs of tiring at all. Going to have to try and finish this hunt when I get to work.

Farming a level 49 Ruby Basarios by yourself is no easy task! Three large barrel bombs, ten bounce bombs, ten First Aid Meds, five Mega Potions and he's still going strong! I've broken his chest, wings and legs (I think) and he's showing no signs of tiring at all. Going to have to try and finish this hunt when I get to work.

The only time I've even seen Ruby Basarios was on an expedition with a Najarala also in it. Really didn't care about the Naja, so was glad when that ran away. Getting the warning that Ruby was about to run and I thought I had done enough to stop it, but it dug its way down. Immediately, "The monster has fled" came on-screen, followed absolutely instantaneously by the stab that lets you know a monster has seen you.

It was another Ruby Basarios. I didn't get a second between the old one running and the new one coming! My lack of healing items by this point led to me deciding to just finish the expedition with the shinies I already found. "There'll be others", I thought. Mistakenly. Bastard hasn't shown his face again yet.

Dood, it was getting late & after the other guys you were playing with took everything from the chest before I got there, then getting eaten by that big fucker & instantly killed were enough for me to call it a night.

If nothing else, you'd have had a better shot without me using all the lives!

Most of the monsters people are fighting online are ones I've never seen so I usually end up taking a beating.

I added all the names from the thread in online but only three people added me back, is there an up-to-date list of people that are still actually playing anywhere? :)

I hate it when people take more than their fair share from the box!

And by the time we came back from the quest, some other guy was already waiting at the Hall with a quest over his head. Everyone left the lobby after seeing that, lol

As I can't find any way of changing my MH4U character name, I've changed my forum name to match it, for simplicity's sake :lol:

As I'm only LR//HR3 online, I've avoided making lots of armour sets, so have had a surplus of bits and pieces carved off the monsters I've, uh, "met" so far. I think I've found my favourites already in the Lance and Hunting Horn, but want to make sure I'm at least competent with all of them for when I fancy a change; last night was all about the bow. I'd used bows a lot in MH3U, so expected it to be like riding a bike, and the basics of coatings/shot times/charges I already knew, but it actually took me a few hunts to get back into the swing of things - kept wanting to press R to aim and Y to charge a shot, rather than vice-versa, and starting off on the smaller monsters to practice my aim was a good idea, but didn't do much for my confidence. Still, I have a couple of decent bows now, and the Nerscylla gunner armour looks fantastic, so I guess I at least looked good while I was flailing around!

I also really dislike the Darren Moron hunt. I dislike that there's less skill involved than on standard hunts, I dislike that it's open to LR hunters, so people farm it to get comparatively overpowered equipment (I have a bow from it, and it seems significantly better across the board than anything else available at my rank), and I dislike that repeating it really is a grind, rather than a potentially different experience each time; it feels more like a puzzle box than a monster hunt. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something?

ph0rce: Not sure if I've added you, but will double-check when I get home.

dood: Didn't see your post here until after midnight, otherwise would have piled in! Think you joined my gathering hall a couple of times, but left as we were out on a hunt.

If I'm around tonight, it won't be until I'm back from an ale festival, so don't judge me too harshly ;) Should be about on Sunday afternoon/evening though, and up for pretty much anything.

The only time I've even seen Ruby Basarios was on an expedition with a Najarala also in it. Really didn't care about the Naja, so was glad when that ran away. Getting the warning that Ruby was about to run and I thought I had done enough to stop it, but it dug its way down. Immediately, "The monster has fled" came on-screen, followed absolutely instantaneously by the stab that lets you know a monster has seen you.

It was another Ruby Basarios. I didn't get a second between the old one running and the new one coming! My lack of healing items by this point led to me deciding to just finish the expedition with the shinies I already found. "There'll be others", I thought. Mistakenly. Bastard hasn't shown his face again yet.

I have it via a Guild Quest - how the hell do I send them on? I can't figure it out.

Open up the menu, look at Guild Quests and then mark and register.

Send them through the Guild Quests menu again when you're in an online Gathering Hall or attach one to your Guild Card by talking to the Courier. Whilst you're there, attach your best Palico too! You don't lose the one that's attached.

As I can't find any way of changing my MH4U character name, I've changed my forum name to match it, for simplicity's sake :lol:

As I'm only LR//HR3 online, I've avoided making lots of armour sets, so have had a surplus of bits and pieces carved off the monsters I've, uh, "met" so far. I think I've found my favourites already in the Lance and Hunting Horn, but want to make sure I'm at least competent with all of them for when I fancy a change; last night was all about the bow. I'd used bows a lot in MH3U, so expected it to be like riding a bike, and the basics of coatings/shot times/charges I already knew, but it actually took me a few hunts to get back into the swing of things - kept wanting to press R to aim and Y to charge a shot, rather than vice-versa, and starting off on the smaller monsters to practice my aim was a good idea, but didn't do much for my confidence. Still, I have a couple of decent bows now, and the Nerscylla gunner armour looks fantastic, so I guess I at least looked good while I was flailing around!

I also really dislike the Darren Moron hunt. I dislike that there's less skill involved than on standard hunts, I dislike that it's open to LR hunters, so people farm it to get comparatively overpowered equipment (I have a bow from it, and it seems significantly better across the board than anything else available at my rank), and I dislike that repeating it really is a grind, rather than a potentially different experience each time; it feels more like a puzzle box than a monster hunt. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something?

ph0rce: Not sure if I've added you, but will double-check when I get home.

dood: Didn't see your post here until after midnight, otherwise would have piled in! Think you joined my gathering hall a couple of times, but left as we were out on a hunt.

If I'm around tonight, it won't be until I'm back from an ale festival, so don't judge me too harshly ;) Should be about on Sunday afternoon/evening though, and up for pretty much anything.

You can change the bow controls back to the old style in thee menu. You want type 1.

Moron is a pretty dull fight, it has to be said. But, I don't think it matters that people can get overpowered equipment early on. They'll be caught out sooner or later, when their crutches no longer help them. Hopefully, the wall comes after they've been well and truly hooked, instead of at the first big monster!

I added all the names from the thread in online but only three people added me back, is there an up-to-date list of people that are still actually playing anywhere? :)

It helps if you include your friend code somewhere in your post or sig. Just sayin'. ;)

Must have missed this sorry Sealflap. Been online with randoms - carted twice against the HR3 > 4 urgent Pink Rath much to my embarrassment. Really hating the Tetsu armour I have at the moment, no idea what to go for instead (Horn/GS player).

The Pinkian is a MASSIVE step up in difficulty from anything else in HR4! I made a Gypceros set, mainly for the Thunder Res because initially it was my planned armour for the Three Virtues event. Gypceros has built-in Negate Poison, which is something that I would say you absolutely need against her. Ideally, you want something with good Fire Res. Which rules out Gypceros, technically, but at least the right pre-hunt meal can get it back in to the positives.

Might be time to put that Ruby Basarios quest to good use?

Damn! G2 Black Gravios is taking no prisoners. He's just triple-carted us four times in a row. Same area/timing too - when he goes mental spitting fireballs. Its actually a very cheap combo which is pretty un-escapable if the first knockdown laser gets ya.

Guess i'll leave that for a while. Back to 9* Caravan which is a doddle in comparison.