Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I need help!

Can someone tell me the exact button presses I need to do to charge, jump, and mount/attack using a Lance?

No problem :)

Hold R shoulder button to guard, then X & A together to initiate charge. The X+A timing can be tight, alternatively you can just tap start button (or reconfigure the use of start button to the touchscreen, which I prefer. This can be done through the in game options menu)

When charging:-

- X will stop you and thrust forward

- back and X will stop you and turn around with a sweeping strike

- B will stop you quicker, with no attack

- up and B will jump.

When jumping, tap X to do the aerial forward thrust. Like jumping of a ledge, a mount will only trigger if the monster is weak enough to 'mount damage'. i.e. it won't happen every time.

I use lance a lot and the ability to mount on flat ground is a really useful tool.

Also good to know -

Another method to jump off a ledge is to guard, then push forward and tap X to shield advance. You'll automatically jump off. It's useful as its quicker than letting your guard down then running.

Also, the lance counter attack is very good. Hold R to guard, then hold A to go into counter.

A really good trick to lancing is to travel short distances through the backhop (B when weapon is drawn). It's far qucker than sheathing, moving, then drawing again. You'll need to adjust to first facing the opposite direction to the way you want to travel.

"Evade lancing"

Later in the game you can get the Evade Dist. skill which allows you to hop longer distances, and/or the Evade skill which gives your hops a larger invincibiliy window. At Evade+3 you can string together 3 hops and remain invincible for a whole second - great for avaiding big attacks and position yourself close for follow up attacks. Pop a dash juice to give yourself unlimited stamina too!

"Guard lancing"

The Guard skill at Guard+2 ensures you take zero guard damage from 90% of attacks, so you can turtle up and poke away to your heart's content. Very limited mobility as a result.

The Guard Up skill makes the other 10% of attacks guardable. It's not super useful until you encounter the later monsters

If you're online be aware that the charge attack will knock other players flying. Make sure to use and abuse this post kill :)

So, the missus sends me a text this morning saying she's put my 3DS on charge and to look at our Youtube history. She's a massive Animal Crossing fan, so I've been told that I'm unlocking that ASAP.

So, the Animal crossing mission, is it available to low/high ranks? I know it's just fishing, so it looks like it should be, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't a silly requirement on it... While I'm at it, same question, dante.

So, the missus sends me a text this morning saying she's put my 3DS on charge and to look at our Youtube history. She's a massive Animal Crossing fan, so I've been told that I'm unlocking that ASAP.

So, the Animal crossing mission, is it available to low/high ranks? I know it's just fishing, so it looks like it should be, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't a silly requirement on it... While I'm at it, same question, dante.

Just did it, it's easy, you just need to smash a big rock and fish.

Rusty armour ? How do i polish it ?

That thing that's a cross between an orang-outang and an elephant was quite annoying, still kicked it's monkey ass though.

Is it better to upgrade armour , or wait for the next set and upgrade that? Also is it better to do small upgrades, ie forge a set which is slightly better or wait till I can get a whole set of something significantly better ?

Edit: really enjoying it still, just got to the volcano town, and am about to embark on a quest to kill a giant toad.

Edit edit: Also a bit confused by guild quests, but i'll get there, OH and also is it worth being online ?

Rusty armour ? How do i polish it ?

That thing that's a cross between an orang-outang and an elephant was quite annoying, still kicked it's monkey ass though.

Is it better to upgrade armour , or wait for the next set and upgrade that? Also is it better to do small upgrades, ie forge a set which is slightly better or wait till I can get a whole set of something significantly better ?

Edit: really enjoying it still, just got to the volcano town, and am about to embark on a quest to kill a giant toad.

Edit edit: Also a bit confused by guild quests, but i'll get there, OH and also is it worth being online ?

Dont worry about upgrading armor, or polishing relics until u hit G rank. You can do it if you want but its better to just make armor sets as you go, everything will be outclassed by end game gear.

Def go online.

That's interesting. I've always upgraded armour as I've gone along. This has meant that I have pretty early armour pieces which have been upgraded, and are better than stuff I'm getting a couple of HR's higher level. When I say "better", I'm talking about base defense and not really going in to elemental protection. This means I tend to stick with early armour pieces and not replace with new, probably more advanced, pieces as I progress. I've probably been doing it wrong.

That's interesting. I've always upgraded armour as I've gone along. This has meant that I have pretty early armour pieces which have been upgraded, and are better than stuff I'm getting a couple of HR's higher level. When I say "better", I'm talking about base defense and not really going in to elemental protection. This means I tend to stick with early armour pieces and not replace with new, probably more advanced, pieces as I progress. I've probably been doing it wrong.

You can do what you want really, but in the long run you are just wasting your armor stones, the low and high rank sets have more than enough defence with base stats and you supersede them so quickly as you move into G rank.

However, some people do like to make everything as they go along, it's your game you have the freedom to do it. Also some of the G rank sets use high rank armor pieces esp the torso up head slot items.

What number of points do you have to get a skill up to in order for it to activate?

Also, in both the steppe map and the volcano cave map I've found a sort of mini hideout place where there's loads of the cat creatures milling about, but I can't interact with them. In both of them there's been a sort of altar thing but whenever I interact with it I'm told there's nothing there.

What number of points do you have to get a skill up to in order for it to activate?

Also, in both the steppe map and the volcano cave map I've found a sort of mini hideout place where there's loads of the cat creatures milling about, but I can't interact with them. In both of them there's been a sort of altar thing but whenever I interact with it I'm told there's nothing there.

I think you interact with that to get any items back the cats have stolen.

You will get coloured Palicoes there to hire too, but I think you have to unlock Sunsnug Isle by doing the single player caravan quests first before they show up in those areas.

No problem :)

Hold R shoulder button to guard, then X & A together to initiate charge. The X+A timing can be tight, alternatively you can just tap start button (or reconfigure the use of start button to the touchscreen, which I prefer. This can be done through the in game options menu)

When charging:-

- X will stop you and thrust forward

- back and X will stop you and turn around with a sweeping strike

- B will stop you quicker, with no attack

- up and B will jump.

When jumping, tap X to do the aerial forward thrust. Like jumping of a ledge, a mount will only trigger if the monster is weak enough to 'mount damage'. i.e. it won't happen every time.

Thanks Stoikovich, I dedicate this carcass to you.

post-16-0-10815100-1433774530_thumb.jpg

How many tranq bombs does it take to capture a monster?

Also do they work if I stand on it, and drop them at my feet?

Two. If it isn't caught on the second bomb, hit it some more! I assume that dropping them at your feet would work, as long as they hit the monster.

Nerscylla armour is handy I'm this regard. Full set enables the skill that indicates when the monster is ready for capture. The icon flashes on the map. Course you'll have to grind her to get the full set. I got HR and LR sets just for capture quests.

Said horrendous spider bit the dust, was a hell of a battle, took me 45 minutes.

Saying that , have they made 4U easier? I haven't lost a fight yet, I seem to remember in the little I played of Tri I was constantly getting my ass handed to me.

Said horrendous spider bit the dust, was a hell of a battle, took me 45 minutes.

Saying that , have they made 4U easier? I haven't lost a fight yet, I seem to remember in the little I played of Tri I was constantly getting my ass handed to me.

Yeah it's easier until G rank then a bit harder, then there's Rajang who is just cheap!

Something to look forward to :)

I made the stupid whale ship and the sea crossing has a monster fight that im finding annoying, need to force myself to play it and finish the fight so i can get back to regular hunting.

Yeah it's my least favourite actual hunt I'd say. Worst for me quest wise is the should be simple fetch 4 soothstones. Easy you think, not when deviljho keeps turning up. Finished the quest after two attempts but didn't manage to kill him.

He's a fun one to fight. The hit boxes I usually connect with easily using my GS are much reduced I found. Oh and when he rages. You should look forward to it.

Still really enjoying this. Just killed the Gore Magala for the first time. He was a bit of a twat and was the first monster that's actually caused me to run out of continues, but I got him the second time around.

I've switched from the charge blade to the insect glaive and am loving it. Spamming the mount button to topple and break parts off easily is very satisfying.

I don't understand how Meowster Hunters works at all. This game doesn't do a great job of explaining things to you.