Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After 86 hours I've finally ejected this from my 3DS' drive. I *need* to play something else.

(Plus I punched a wall last night after getting killed by Akantor for the fourth time in a row, and I'm worried I may have cracked a knuckle - hand still really fucking hurts a day later.)

So after a long hiatus I got back into this, and it's still as good as I remember. Slaying that pesky yian garuga felt oh-so good. Had to restart though as my unbranded aikuchi hardly made a dent into it's thick purple shell. Didn't have that problem with my gun hammer though.

On to the mighty tigrex!

I did the frenzy Tigrex yesterday, totally missed the normal version!

I'm rubbish at trapping. Just now I was trying to do the trap the Rathalos quest, always try too early but he'd limped off so I thought I was good to go, plus his stunning of me was really wearing thin and in the end I just ended via subquest. I get too impatient to wait for them to go to sleep.

I did the frenzy Tigrex yesterday, totally missed the normal version!

I'm rubbish at trapping. Just now I was trying to do the trap the Rathalos quest, always try too early but he'd limped off so I thought I was good to go, plus his stunning of me was really wearing thin and in the end I just ended via subquest. I get too impatient to wait for them to go to sleep.

Getting them when sleeping is the best way to get them, though. I found trapping pretty indispensable later in the game, when the monsters start hitting harder: it's a good way to guarantee you'll complete the quest, rather than going for the kill and risking death, especially when you're low on mega potions.

Yeah I almost always trap monsters now instead of beating them to death- most of them when they get to the limping stage waddle off to another zone, and start having a nap.

When they do, you can go right over to them, drop a trap literally on top, then just whack them to wake them up and BAM, instant trapped monster. Just make sure you switch to tranq bombs after laying the trap, so you're reading to throw them immediately.

Just started playing this about a week ago and really enjoyin the insect glaive. But I could do with a recipe for how to properly upgrade it without breaking it (accidentally making it shite)!

Go onto YT and type in 'Ultimate Kinsect'. It should come up with a Gajinhunter guide.

Insect Glaive FTW!

I've been mainly using the glaive and longsword too, and now I've got a few elemental longsword types I've been matching them to different monsters which can make things a bit easier. That Sharqbite lance though, that thing is hilarious.

The only downside with the Glaive is that, because it's so good, you end up using it all the time and there's not much variety. I started off using the Charge Blade, but as soon as I got to Nersyclla I just grinded her to get the poison glaive she gives you, which I then proceeded to use for the next 40 or so hours of gameplay, upgrading it every so often. It's very reliable, especially when you want to target specific body parts, but it makes the fights a bit repetitive.

Saying that, I switched to the Brachydios BOOM, MOTHERFUCKER! stick towards the end, though, which was awesome.

You had it where Seltas Queen picks up the Seltas and starts trying to twat you with it. Or she throws it across the map at you. Ah poor Seltas

Not only that, but if he dies during her smashing him around, she uses his corpse as a handy food source to replenish her health!! Then she just seems to have the ability to keep summoning more hapless Seltas drones, unaware of their ultimate fate.

Their transformer style FORM UP thing is pretty cool too.

Monster hunter 4 ultimate forward.

I set out with no intent to write a piece on ole Monhun, but I felt I have a few things to say for new players. Having started as a newbie to this myself I can maybe see a few glaring hurdles that players face when entering the game. Not just mechanically but preconceptions about the game coming in fresh. Perhaps I can serve to ease those potential concerns.

What even is Monster hunter? I like slash em ups ,I like games with maps, I like oversized weapons and lose hours just to character creation . Possibly most crucial
of all though I like games such as Lost in Blue, etrian Odyssey and that Dark Souls. All Games where you experience that feeling of risk and reward and your own death mostly within your control. You forget to plan ahead or settle for what youve got and it costs you. Despite this though the last two games pretty much break this mechanic half way through their play time by allowing you to warp back home. I hope Moster hunter doesnt do this , or at least manages the trade off between getting so far out being boring to go all the way back vs that feeling of isolation/ desperation .(at this point I thought the maps might be larger /have more sections- maybe they do later?), and general feeling of being out in the wild,

After a few hours with monster hunter 4 Ultimate, my initial impressions from the demo
were focused not on any of this but purely on how it looked and how detatched I was from the character and experience. Slaying innocent AI dinosaurs
never really appealed. Is there even a question as to this game being some kind of crazed Whale hunting propaganda allegory? Add to this some of the more obvious frustrations for new players such as forgetting to tag a monster with paint and losing track of them when they flee., learning to use combos and height to your advantage and how important evasion timing is and what to look out for. You need time to learn each monster's attack patterns, so death can be seen as a good way to learn. Possibly frustrating for some! Despite this the demo seemed to give you decent defense stats so you werent pushed into learning this. Though i still dislike the way small areas visual design changes so abruptly, I can see much more clearly now how each area transitions to the next, having explored the map a little.And how that translates to the habitat mechanic. It is just frustrating that you can see into the distance and not "actually" go there,
as its such a touted thing in moden games and really feels a little jarring here at first. Whilst playing the demo you never really stopped to look around and appreciate the environment , but instead are herded straight towards an objective,running through yellow fields, then a red leaved canopy, then grey rocky land etc. ! Like totally random ! Though not as random as seeing someone with a pet sonic when testing out the online lobby...

Having put some time in to the actual game and realising what it is I'm actually playing I've been able to appreciate the attention to detail in this game:
from the run animations to the jurassic park esque monster calls. Sublime it truly is. Its almost so good you dont notice it until you sit back and
realise how immersed in the world you really were that last few hours. This can help even seemingly mundane tasks like carrying an egg become interesting -weighing
the mechanics of your stamina bar with the comedy run /encumbered animation.

Most of all the fun comes from learning how to play-you dont need to know it all at the start! And later realising how interesting either to watch or interact with the AI really is. Even how monsters react to and with each other, especially
in battles.

One week later and I'm over 40 hours in. Help me.

tldr- play the actual game to "demo" it!

agreed, the demo left me cold but then I saw the game cheap and gave it some time, so here I am over 100 hours later in the space of a month. I'll be going to my local streetpass event this weekend and look forward to some local co-op hunting.

There are a lot of hurdles with monster hunter.

They are wide ranging.

I myself don't like Nintendo games, jrpgs, cutesy games. Seeing the Palicos and their cutesy costumes really put me off. I don't like the area transitions mechanic either.

I don't like hand helds and would love a PC version of this, I only have one game for my DS!

I'm also a vegetarian, I was interested by your point about detachment. It's def something I experience with the game. Especially at the start butchering herbivores etc didn't sit well with me at all.

But underneath this is one of the best games I've ever played. Your points about the AI are bang on and the animations are just sublime.

The other hurdle of course is the difficulty but I like challenging games (if anything I'm finding it a bit easy so far) and the learning / reward loop this game delivers is second to none.

It is as Pranny says

Sublime.

I'm just at the Ice area. Liking the hot drink thing! But yes it is a little easy at the moment. I guess the challenge of harder stuff is there if you want it with the guild hall. But then you'll be able to get better armour and things will be even easier ;/ . Well I have a mate who isnt so good (yet)so trying to keep him alive is a good challenge when playing local or online. Still would like to see much bigger areas which you can properly get lost in. The egg carrying quests are the only ones where I'm desperate to get home at any point.

I havent tried any of the Bug upgrade stuff yet, but that guide gives a good outline of what to generally go for. Not going to go for the most powerful one but the one that goes best with my dress. Lads.

I got a warp item ... Games might benefit from rewards for not using things like that-since I guess it has to be in there for those with less toilet time or whatever. Wasnt there something in resident evil for not using any herbs first aid sprays? That kinda thing.

I have actually just met my match with the Gore Magala "tipping the scales" . Did repel it in the previous mission but out in the wild its tough, especially in small areas like the cliff bit. Plus I have managed to break off the Slide pad on the 3DSxl so it must be doing something right :) . I heard them mention g rank on Midnight resistance recently ( and probably many times before but I likely tuned out a bit on hearing about boring old monster hunter) and it does sound like a real challenge. Cant see me getting there any time soon though.

Edit: Gore Magala twatted. But I was down to my last megapotion. New Glaive upgrade in sight!

One week later and I'm over 40 hours in. Help me.

That's the main hurdle for me: the time you can sink into it. I've SpotPassed more than a few players with 200+ hrs of playtime on their clock, which is something I simply cannot afford. Cracking game though, and up to the shagaru magala at the mo'.