Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!

Keyboard Koala

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went through this recently. Don't get excited about your glaive upgrade.... monster broth.

Oh great , more waiting for upgrade items ? Its a great weapon but definitely the short straw on frequent shiny new versions.

Yeah dont worry, in that time I have hardly watched any tv or played any other games (apart from splatfest naturally) so its "fine" 8-)

At last... Xenoblade is complete. I can now start on this.

On the train this morning, killed my first Great Jaggi and then went on an expedition and managed to get a dropped item before hauling ass to the wagon.

I can tell I'm going to be playing this game for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

I appreciate I'm months behind everyone else on this... Blame Nintendo releasing Xenoblade and this at the same time.

But fuck me is it just not the most amazing thing. I was a huge fan on 3 but this has just taken everything in that that I thought was a bit clunky and streamlined it into the perfect monster hunter game without ruining the brilliantly balanced core game.

Its rare I play a handheld game at home but....

It's an amazing game. It truly is. It takes a lot of dedication and time to get the most out of it though. I just spotpassed a guy with 432 hrs. on the counter - I don't think I could even find that amount of free time. To his credit, he had some amazing gear. Skull visage anyone?

I got to HR4 and the HR caravan quests at the weekend, it's been a bit of a speedbump for me so far. Nice to have a challenge spike but I was not best pleased when the emerald congalala fire-farted me to death when I nearly had the best of him.

I've moved away from the IG as some of you guys have, also found the upgrade path hit a bit of a wall at this stage but I'm enjoying the variety, eg switch axe.

How the hell do you get to HR Caravan?! I've done endless quests , 2 urgent on level 6, all lvl 6 quests completed. And still nuffin!

I could have the names wrong, High rank quests from the Guildmarm in singleplayer. I found the game structure a bit . . opaque for a long time!

Back on this in a big way and realised that as much as I've been trying to become an accomplished Hunting Horn player, I have realised that I'm pretty average at best and the Great Sword is still my thing.

G-Rank Kecha with 1200+ Attack HH ~45 mins

G-Rank Kecha with 1000 Attacks GS ~12 mins

I'll think I'll stick to HH in group quests only from now on and solo with GS.

Now all I need is some G-Rank armour...

... but I was not best pleased when the emerald congalala fire-farted me to death when I nearly had the best of him.

Yeah he turned out to be a bit of a dick. To be fair I screwed myself , first time by not eating and second time by forgetting whetstones, but it still took 3 attempts. First time that's happened.

Finally upgraded my Insect Glaive as well. Damn Monster Broth!

I suppose there's no possibility seasoned vets can give some of the armour they don't use anymore to casuals like me?

You can't give stuff that is above Rare 3 (?), so that's impossible.

It's not like the good ol' days of PSO, unfortunately :(

------

Edit: From GameFAQs:

Rare 1-3 items(mostly consumables), no equipment. And only to other people, not between your own characters.

Finally I got around to understanding the skills/jewels system, immediately I swapped out my chest piece which removed my recovery down, then slapped on a talisman and gems to get attack up from M to L and put my thunder res into the positive, so that was a result. It's another minigame, something else to pore over! Such a lovely game.

Yeah I improved my fire res on my gore set using charms , still a bit shit but much better than it was.

FINALLY onto HR caravan, and as mentioned above it's got a bit harder, think im going to have to get some HR armour ASAP.

Any recommendations for good sets ?

I've just got my rathalos set done up with advance armour spheres, plus a velociprey hr chest, it's low level hr. I have made the armour set from the first new hr monster you meet but it's not as cool looking! I'll need to upgrade soon though.

Several times I have spent half hour fiddling with armour combos / charms and talismans to get a set just right. But yeah, complete sets are excellent to work towards. Try and work out which weapon might fit better with it, eg if you have the focus skill then you won't want a lance or sword & shield.

I've got hold of the Japanese DLC just so I can some extra G rank sets early. I keep telling myself all this will work itself out of my system soon enough, but every new layer reveals another one beneath it. I haven't played any other games since 4U came out.....!

That insect gleive is *ace*

Its great! For me nothing compaires that I've tried. Although the bagpipes might have to feature soon.

took me a good few hours to realise that white = legs , yellow = bum, red = front or there abouts. And you have to adapt that to each monster. And I've finally started to unlock a few new glaivez. Current fave being the crab one as it gives +25 defense which aint bad. pah, cheat weapon my ass ;p. But really the real cheat is mad people tagging on for higher lvl quests. I'm making sure to stay a step or two ahead in the single player before trying the equivalent online levels. Of which that sand boat one is supoyb. Final showdown! Arcade action+

I'm really just going on single player just now - most of my play is on the commute, but I've been playing this at home as well, which is unusual for me with handheld games. I tried online and it worked really well and to upgrade some of my stuff, I'm going to have to venture into it more.

I've also been using the great sword pretty exclusively, a Ludroth one... but I should probably learn more weapons and mix them up depending on the type of monster. There's that really fast blue Velocidrome or whatever - and the great sword doesn't work so well for it.

Also really enjoying the expeditions as well. More interesting things to find and multiple monsters at the same time (some who fight each other!).

Brilliant brilliant brilliant game.