Formula One - 2015 Season

Jonny5

Not quite an event like that, but the one race I saw in a pub full of F1 fans was awesome, so I can attest the sport does lend itself to group viewing (it was the final race of 2008 season at a sports bar in New York, and as the place the place was mainly packed with Italian-American Ferrari fans I did briefly fear getting lynched when Hamilton snatched the title away from Massa at the last second ;)).

Feile's right? I was in New York last year for the Australian race and watched it there. Considering it was something stupid like 2am-4am and I was pretty knackered from a day of sight seeing it was a good time. Although NBC's coverage was fucking terrible. Disregarding advert breaks which are what they are, they also interrupted the race to show, full screen, promotional videos with the drivers. Presumably they thought Americans wouldn't be able to continue watching should a few dull laps occur so they have a video of Riccardo racing an jet plane ready to go...

Bob, what's the signup link for your thing again?

Edit: Never mind, I'm in.

Extra Edit: Can you update the site so that if I select a driver in the top 10 list they are removed from any old position they were in. Shuffling people up and down within the top 10 is really fiddly!

Feile's right? I was in New York last year for the Australian race and watched it there. Considering it was something stupid like 2am-4am and I was pretty knackered from a day of sight seeing it was a good time. Although NBC's coverage was fucking terrible. Disregarding advert breaks which are what they are, they also interrupted the race to show, full screen, promotional videos with the drivers. Presumably they thought Americans wouldn't be able to continue watching should a few dull laps occur so they have a video of Riccardo racing an jet plane ready to go...

Looks to be in about the right location, although the photos shows the place pretty much backwards compared to how I remember it (I'm sure the bar was on the other wall for one thing!). I think the coverage was better than you described too, possibly on something like Speed Tv in those days? Long time ago though!

Interesting article on Autosport:

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner believes Formula 1 should consider a ban on windtunnel use as a radical cost-cutting measure.

With the costs of running a Formula 1 team still in the spotlight on the eve of the 2015 season, Horner has outlined to AUTOSPORT his ideas for the sport's future, including various measures to make the sport cheaper to compete in.

"If you wanted to go really extreme and be really controversial, get rid of the windtunnel," Horner said.

"It's an expensive thing to run and to feed with components and parts. Get back to engineering ingenuity.

"Give everybody the same microchip for the CFD cluster and make it down to the brainpower within the team as opposed to computer or windtunnel power.

"Why not be radical? Why not make everybody have the same processes?

"If I was Bernie [Ecclestone] or Jean [Todt, FIA president], that's the direction I would be looking at."

Red Bull is one of several teams to have its own windtunnel, and Horner said it would be prepared to sacrifice use of the facility if it was for the good of Formula 1.

"[A windtunnel ban] wouldn't sit comfortably with us, but if we genuinely believed it was the right thing to do, we'd rent it commercially for another use," he added.

"As a business - as Sauber has demonstrated - they're subsidising a Formula 1 team by making their windtunnel available to third parties.

"There are always ways. Frank [Williams] has two windtunnels, and his team only uses one."

Horner believes that restrictions such as a windtunnel ban would be more effective than trying to cap spending in F1, as the richer teams will always find ways to spend extra money.

"You can't dictate how much money a team has and where they choose to spend that money," he said.

"But what you can do with the regulations is to make diminishing returns.

"So yes, you can have a nice motorhome and a nice pitwall and factory and all the rest - and pay your drivers a fortune.

"But if the regulations were in such a way, then it's not necessarily going to buy you an advantage."

That sounds like a pretty reasonable solution to cost cutting to me, surprised it came from Red Bull given its their area of supremecy.

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 8h 8 hours ago

VDG lawyer says Monisha K wrote to Contract Recognition Board on 4/3/15 saying VDG contract had been terminated on 6/2/15...

This is after the Swiss arbitration said VDG had a valid contract Sauber told the FIA it had been terminated.

Sauber really have acted appallingly in all of this and done nothing to help themselves.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable solution to cost cutting to me, surprised it came from Red Bull given its their area of supremecy.

On the surface it might, I'm not convinced because every pound the big teams put into wind tunnels would go straight into CFD and other forms of research.

You'll never "reduce costs", what you can do is "Reduce the cost to compete" and if that's the aim you do that by making sure that every pound you spend above barely surviving results in as small a speed increase as possible. Wind Tunnel costs are pretty good for that already, they have restricted hours and if calibrated right, Ferrari's wind tunnel will show them exactly the same solutions as Marussia's. Forcing them to go off and develop entirely new technology to solve these development problems seems like an area where a big team can absolutely outspend a small and see huge benefit. It could have the opposite effect and widen the field.

Or to put it another way, Ferrari can get £300m in sponsorship. If they get £300m they're going to spend £300m. If all they can develop is the aerodynamic shape of the drivers drinks tube you can bet they'll spend £300m on the shape of the drinks tube.

Wiziwig has been taken out by the man. Anywhere else I can pay to stream this live?

I bought some Now TV day passes for £4 each on eBay so will be using those I think, unless I can use a mate's Sky Go login again.

I also found out that my new nextdoor neighbours work for Aston Martin and are F1 fans though - I think they have a mate's Sky login as well so I could go over to theirs, already checked and they do get up for Australia :D

Sauber really don't come out of this situation looking good. Or competent. From what the courts have ruled, it would seem that van der Garde had a solid contract, and that Sauber have basically taken Erikkson and Nasr as they each carry more finances and had hoped that vdG (or potentially Sutil) didn't sue.

This could, of course, have been because Erikkson and Nasr's money is the only way they'd have been able to race this season, in which case they're boned now because someone - whether it's one of their current drivers or van der Garde - is going to have to be paid off or some bizarre and awkward deal reached.

This whole scenario could sink the team for good. McLaren must be pleased as it's averted eyes from the other main story, which is how terrible their pre-season was and what the living heck happened to Alonso at Barcelona.

Yep. And it's going to make other drivers unwilling to deal with them too or to negotiate much, much nicer payment plans.

And to be honest other than the short term, in a world as small as motorsport, all a case like this really does is make people less likely to want to deal with EITHER of the participants no matter who actually "wins".

To make things even more awkward, I believe the Australian race promoters (as do each promoter) have a minimum car clause or they can request a chunk of their hosting fee back. With potentially no Saubers and a growing rumour that Manor might not actually make it out of the garage this weekend, we could end up with a 16-car race :-\

Sauber really don't come out of this situation looking good. Or competent. From what the courts have ruled, it would seem that van der Garde had a solid contract, and that Sauber have basically taken Erikkson and Nasr as they each carry more finances and had hoped that vdG (or potentially Sutil) didn't sue.

Apparently vdG brought $25m over the two seasons and I assume most would be paid this year for the drive and sponsorship. The Ericsson deal is supposedly worth $15m, but $12m was paid upfront last year when Sauber was desperate for cash, Nasr is supposed to be $35m. I do feel sorry for them though as seemingly they weren't made aware of any of this, so thought they where signing contracts in good faith.

I would have thought the sensible thing would be to approach vdG and his backers and see if they can advance some of the payment as things are tight and there might be no team next season without it. Plus as it's a commercial contract you'd have to expect some sort of penalties for breaking it, yes Ericsson has money now but you will need more in the future to pay damages and at some point the driver ponzi scheme will fail.

Just to make it even more interesting, the Contempt hearing is with Justice Croft who did the first hearing and has made it clear he's losing his patience with Sauber.

Yeah, I definitely feel all three drivers have been screwed over in this.

Telling comment from ex-Sauber driver Nico Hulkenberg when asked if he was surprised by this: 'Not really - I know the people there'.

It's been no time at all but it's already very weird to me that Sauber used to have drivers as good as Hulkenberg.

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1

Yesterday Monisha wrote to FIA asking if it was possible to get a superlicence for VDG - while blocking possibility at the same time...

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1

As I said earlier, @SauberF1Team going through the motions. You couldn't make this stuff up...

The block seems to be from Sauber refusing to tell the contracts recognition board vdG has a valid contract. It's almost like Sauber want action to be taken against them at this point.

Just to reiterate, @GvanderGarde has no superlicence so the seat fitting business was just a little theatre. He will not drive here

Been following this evening, you couldn't make some of this stuff up.

VDG turns up at the circuit and his badge doesn't work, Perez gets him a Force India one :lol:

Sauber said he couldn't drive because he doesn't have a Super License - turns out they had it cancelled with teh FIA in December by saying he didn;t have a contract

Said he couldn't drive because it would take two weeks for a seat fitting and to get a Super License, VDG strolls around like he owns the place, has a seat fitting in the garage in a few mins and goes to see the FIA about his super license, all stuff Sauber should have been doing.

Doubt they'll be running at all this weekend.

Unbelievable isn't it haha keep us updated.

Can they not let all 3 lads practice and say who does best can race?

What would VDG want instead of a race seat? Millions of dollars? Or does he not need money, so he just wants his race seat?

It's proper mental.

It's sounding likely that Sauber will be found in contempt of court and have all their cars etc seized, especially with all this crap over his license and his paddock pass not working etc - apparently the court has a team ready and has asked for an inventory of all the equipment they have at the circuit. VDG's lawyers have been on it and seem to have an answer for everything Sauber come up with.

It's probably about what is right at the moment - he signed as a test driver last season under the promise and a contract that he would have a race seat for 2015 - sounds like Sauber used his funds to finish 2014 then signed another driver. I'm sure he quite possibly turned down other racing opportunities this season (especially as he seems to have good financial backing behind him and he's not shit) as he thought he had an F1 seat.

Might not see Sauber again, Force India and Manor might not last the season, it's all getting interesting.

Yeah Id say depressing, makes you miss the days of "proper" Sauber (the heavily Petronas branded car), Jordan being competitive, Minardi being at the back all the time but in an endearing way, Williams battling it out at the front, McLaren being reliable and Ferrari not being a laughing stock but still providing lots of drama!