rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny5

Formula One - 2015 Season

Could it be a danger to have something designed to make cars slip?

Does Maldonado count?

• Upvote 2

Hello everyone. It's time to put on the best bib and tucker, dust of the loafers and hitch up that winning smile because we're all off the Monaco and the yearly European F1 trade show.
Don't worry about the racing, watch qualifying, that's your winner right there. No need for all that tedious round and round nonsense. Well there's the guessing at what point Maldonado inevitably smears it down the wall but other than that, qualifying will give you all you need.
No, Monaco I'm afraid is an anachronism these days; it's too narrow, has far too little run off to play with. The spectators don't really get to see much, other than who's there and who paid to be next to the Royal pavilion. Singapore meanwhile is fast turning into the city race course it's ok to like these days.
Monaco is little more than a trade show for the B list money men who can't afford to go to Singapore. What used to be the highlight of the social season has turned into an unseemly dash for a shrinking pool of money. The likes of Ferrari, Redbull and Mercedes will wing the super rich to the Raffles hotel for the best night race of the year. But the less financially stable will have reasonably priced boats moored in the Monaco harbour and pray the weather holds all weekend and doesn't upset the middle ranking CEOs and mildly VIP. Some of them might even watch the race, most will be there to be seen and wonder what time the taxi heads back to Nice.
Don't get me wrong here; there are real fans at Monaco. If you look really hard, as the cars turn into the pit entrance there is a slab sided hill off to the right as you look back out to sea. I'm told it's a sheer cliff face; you take your life in your hands getting down there. But it's free, and it affords one of the best views in Formula one.
From there you can practically taste the history of F1 racing. A view out over the harbour that has hardly changed from the days of Fangio and Moss, watch the daredevil drivers threading the eye of the needle through the Armco barriers. Cars dancing out of Tabac, through the swimming pool complex into La Rascasse, Anthony Noghes and the long curving pit straight. Those nitwit on the boats don't appreciate what's happening in front of them, the level of skill they could be witness too.
There might not be much overtaking and actual racing, but watch Alonso in a dog of a car, Kimi rekindling his love of racing and Hamilton at the top of his game and be damned impressed for they are gladiators, fighting for our entertainment.
It's looking like it'll be a wet weekend in the south of France, just to add spice to the event. Normally rain levels the playing field and the rubbish cars get a chance to shine. But at Monaco it just makes the whole thing a more of a lottery, skill will still will out and all so that a Merc or two at the front with a Ferrari or Williams shadow no doubt. The rest of the top ten is going to be far trickier to predict.
Force India has two excellent wet weather drivers.
Sauber has a fast car but two so so drivers.
Torro Rosso has thrusting young bucks and a handy little car.
Redbull will be able to turn the wick down and Danny has shone at wet races in the past.
And what about McLaren ... if they're going to get anything this year, Monaco will be the place it happens.
Please update your predictions before Wednesday midnight, due to Monaco starting the practice days on Thursday so they can have Friday off to get drunk I think.
Also this weekend in the Indy 500, four corners, speeds over 230 mph and a solid concrete wall if it all goes wrong. Hunt around for live feeds on the internet it might not have the global reach of F1, but those boys are racing at over 200mph 3 wide with no run off to save them.
  • Upvote 3

Apparently Lewis has signed on with Merc for 3 years. If true I'd say that feels like a mistake. Why make the same mistake Alonso made and tie yourself to a team for such a long time. Merc are at their peak right now, just like RB were not so long ago.

Not anymore!

Indeed, three heavy crashes in qualifying, one in hospital. and they've had to revise the rules to slow the cars down for the race. Not a happy time for Indycar racing at the moment.

Apparently Lewis has signed on with Merc for 3 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32812577

Lewis Hamilton has signed a new three-year contract at Mercedes that could be worth up to £27m a year.
The 30-year-old Briton has been with the team since 2013 after six years at McLaren and won his second world title last year.
"I couldn't be happier to be staying for another three years," he said of the deal that will take him up to 2018.
Hamilton leads team-mate Nico Rosberg by 20 points in the current championship.
He had been linked with a move to Ferrari, despite saying in March that a new contract was "99.6%" done, with negations said to be completed and just "legal stuff" remaining at that point.
It is understood Hamilton will earn a basic salary, paid in US dollars, of $31m (£20.9m) plus extensive bonuses.

Depending on how many races he wins, and whether he becomes world champion, these bonuses could easily take his annual earnings well over $40m (£27m).
The overall value of Hamilton's deal is fundamentally similar to F1's two other big earners and multiple champions, McLaren's Fernando Alonso and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel.
Since joining Mercedes, Hamilton - who won his first world title with McLaren in 2008 - has won 15 races, 11 of those coming as he beat Rosberg to the 2014 title. He has won three of the first five races of this season.
"The Mercedes car I am driving right now is the best I have ever had in my career," he added.
"It's just so much fun to be out there every weekend, on the limit and fighting to win at every track."
Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said: "Lewis enjoyed an historic world championship season with Mercedes-Benz last year and it was a priority for this season to renew his contract for the next term.
"Lewis' sporting track record speaks for itself and he is a great personality for the company.
"Personally, I am looking forward to continuing to race with the strongest driver pairing in Formula 1 and to more historic achievements together."

27 millionsquillion!!! It's a staggering amount isn't it whatever you do.

500k a week!

Indeed, three heavy crashes in qualifying, one in hospital. and they've had to revise the rules to slow the cars down for the race. Not a happy time for Indycar racing at the moment.

What I didn't realise about the Hinchcliffe crash was how bad it was - given what I've now read about what the suspension did to him when it went into the car it's miraculous he survived with the amount of blood he lost.

Indy does have these kinds of years every so often where things just feel 'off' and you're left in constant fear of something else bad happening. Just have to hope the race on Sunday plays out okay and by the end we can talk about the racing again rather than more carnage.

Not bad for a mistake. Mercedes should be fighting at the front for 2 of those years at least I'd think.

Should bust these few Indycar posts out into a new thread.

Anyway, think I read they're worried about the cars relying on aerodynamics, rather than grip. It stuck in my mind as I think someone here said similar of F1.

Indy is slightly different because the cars are set up to go round the ovals and so are trimmed out for high stable speed. F1 car are designed for high speed cornering and acceleration/deceleration. The ovals tend to be big wide flat surfaces without too much change in elevation, F1 tracks tend to be narrower and have lots of corners.

So when an F1 car spins it goes off away from the track into a tyre barrier, lots of speed will get scubbed off on the run off and then a slow (er) deceleration into a bouncy tyre wall. Because there are more corners on road circuit and the speeds are low, F1 cars don't nomally lift off, they just don't travel far and fast enough. Unless they hit the back of another car or bump wheels.

When indy cars go off, its into the wall next to the track and then pushed back onto the track where there is little to scrub the speed off, typically they cross the track and hit the inside wall. or another car. A car doing 230+mph is going to travel a long way before it stops. And because they're trimmed out to go fast, once they're going backwards there is pretty much no aero sicking them back onto the road. Those aero wings suckign the car down are inversed and start generating life. Which is why we've seen cars taking off this year. Also hitting the wall hard at 200+ mph the car tends to climb up the wall and the air under the car will flip it. But that's always been a problem on ovals.

(It definitely seems like the Chevrolet cars in particular are having problems with new aerodynamics.)

Great showing from Verstappen in first practice, Rosberg a second down on Hamilton does not bode well.

I'd prefer to see him try something on again like last year but fuck it up.

12 months ago:

f1-monaco-gp-2014-jules-bianchi-marussia

Yesterday:

Jules Bianchi's father says his son is continuing to fight for his life, but concedes they have started to think of the worst-case scenario.

Since his accident in last October's Japanese Grand Prix, Bianchi has spent almost the last eight months in a battle for survival.

After two months at a hospital in Yokkaichi close to the Suzuka circuit, the Manor driver was then transferred to a facility in his home city of Nice where he has since remained.

Although Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma, the 25-year-old remains unconscious with the prognosis grim.

"The first thing is Jules is alive, that's the most important thing for us," said Bianchi's father Philippe, speaking to Canal+.

"He's fighting with the weapons he has, but in neurological terms I'm not sure he is able to do much now.

"Seeing him fighting gives a lot of hope to his loved ones, and it's important for us.

"While there is life, there is hope, even though after a while you are hoping for a miracle. Every day is difficult.

"The situation is stagnant. Jules' neurological progress is not what we would like it to be.

"When we get up every morning we think of Jules' life, we think also of his death.

"We have to think about death because we are in a situation where we know a lot of things can happen. It's terrible.

"I think we all stopped living that day, the fifth of October. It's something you can never expect.

"It's not what Jules wants, being in a hospital bed. It's not his life, it's not what we want either. But we have to keep hope."

It was a year ago at last year's Monaco Grand Prix that Bianchi secured a ninth-place finish for the team then known as Marussia.

They remain the marque's only points in its five-and-a-half-year history, with Manor this weekend commemorating the achievement with a specially-commissioned wristband.

Believing his son will be able to feel the energy generated from the race just 20 kilometres away, Bianchi Sr added: "It was Jules' dream to score points in Formula 1, and he did it with Marussia.

"I was there, and I was lucky enough when Jules finished the grand prix that I was the first person he took into his arms because I was on my own when he finished. Those are incredible moments.

"Jules is here, despite the shock [accident] he had. He's still here and he's fighting.

"All of these people thinking about him gives Jules strength. He can feel it and it's beautiful. We're very touched by it."

:(

It's just awful isn't it, to imagine he's never responded to his parents at all for 8 months yet he's still alive. It must feel worse than a death, he's so lucky to be alive though after the impact he had.

Is there any news of Schumi? Does he respond at all?

So Martin Brundle tried the 18 inch wheels on a GP2 car:

I really like the look of the 18" wheels on s/seater. Car felt great but big problem is that you can't see apex kerbsor barriers. At all

Why not? The wheel/tyre combination isn't any bigger than it is now is it? Just more wheel & less tyre.

• Upvote 1

Zero fucks given by Kimi. I used to think that was cool about 10 years ago but now I just find his attitude boring.

• Upvote 1

I just realised that the BBC don't have this live. I thought they always had Monaco live. :(

I don't think we'll ever hear anything more on Schu.

Few stories in the last day or so saying he's getting slightly better.

As a complete aside, some stories say his care has cost $10m so far. Until Obama Care, my life time health insurance payout was capped at $2m. Obama Care removed lifetime caps.