PS+ February (Feb 4th): Apotheon, Transistor (PS4) Thief, Yakuza 4 (PS3), Kick and Fennick (Vita) Rogue Legacy (All)

TehStu

Nobody interested in Apotheon then? I've been curious about it and was looking to get it on PC (I don't have a PS4) but might have to go see my brother, who does have one, and play it there first.

Definitely. As mentioned in the other thread, I get a strong Amiga platformer vibe from watching the video, and love the visual style. I'm hopelessly engrossed in GTA V, but really looking forward to trying Apotheon.

Don't listen to these RL naysayers, it's a safe bet they've all had a turn or something. It's a game that unfolds brilliantly as you play, it just has a steep curve at the start where it can arguably be repetitive and often discouraging, which is a shame but is ultimately part of the experience. You somehow blag your way to a boss and get slaughtered with no hope at all, but gradually you work out a strategy across generations to take revenge, and you do it. Admittedly some of the generational features are pretty pointless and could be improved on, but others can transform the game completely. RL characters are like Spelunky levels - a good part of the fun is playing the hand you're dealt, but there's always another one coming along in a minute.

Having said all that, Spelunky is much better, but only because it's better than everything. They're very different games despite the seeming similarities. Oh, and the temporary platform activation in RL is a total horrorshow, you're not going to like that one bit.

As a lover of 2D platformers, roguelikes, spelunky and Binding of Isaac, I should love it. But my problem with rogue legacy is that it isn't enough of a roguelike. The persistent unlocks are its undoing. It becomes a grind to unlock some better gear, to do better, to unlock more gear, repeat to tedium.

I know people have done low level runs, but it's mechanisms are too floaty for me to feel like I can improve much at it.

if it clicks people love it. So it's perfect for ps+, but not for me.

I like it. It obviously has flaws, but it's fun and the levelling up will always appeal to me as someone who plays games. It's obviously nowhere near as good as Spelunky, but I'm enjoying being shit at it.

It does feel grindy, though. In Spelunky you know you have to get better because the game won't do you any favours. In this I pretty much feel like if I play it long enough I'll be able to just brute force my way to the end.

Certain room puzzles and techniques only become available later on, with the various powers and items, along with the ability to freeze a level and play it again (for a price). So you can change your loadout to take advantage of the level, for example. You might get a castle with a really strong run up to the boss and want to capitalise on that. It's also great fun to get tooled up and take on mad rooms that would have obliterated you a couple of days ago. The combat moves develop nicely and complement the enemy types well.

I say all this, but I don't know if I'd actually want to play it again and be stripped back down to the basics...

I think I'd like the randomised children more if you were just forced to have one rather than a choice between three. I just pick the ones which sound like they'll be best, of course, so I'm going to miss loads of funny traits. I might just start choosing the middle child no matter what.

Apotheon is horrible, from a very quick play. I'm sure it's okay, really, but its a 2D platformer which can only be played with the analogue stick and it controls like absolute shit as a result. And attack is mapped to R2 instead of a face button so that's really spongey and awkward. Probably doesn't help that I'm coming to it from Guacamelee which controls like a dream.

I found them all using the webstore which I linked to directly from the Playstation app.

Played Apotheon and completed the first five or so objectives. Throws a lot at you straight away but it's easy enough. The items/weapons/armour system is more in depth than I anticipated. At the moment feels like a 2D Dark Souls mixed with Guacamelee. I need more time with it.

Transistor on the other hand was love at first sight. Love the time based combat system and it's one beautifully presented game. Like Neuromancer meets Final Fantasy.