PS+ February (Feb 4th): Apotheon, Transistor (PS4) Thief, Yakuza 4 (PS3), Kick and Fennick (Vita) Rogue Legacy (All)

TehStu

For the February PS+ content.

Well obviously, I'm not a fucking simpleton.

But that would be discussed quite adequately in the old "megathread." If we're going to start a new thread for each new month, then the OP should be the place to go to get an overview of the new stuff, otherwise there's no real advantage to separating it into new threads at all.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. C-, see me after class.

Enjoyed my brief go with Apotheon, and for some reason found myself surprised that a smaller title had decent voice acting. Love the visual style, and definitely feels Amiga ish in play.

I guess my main issue at this point, and can be said of several games, is that despite sitting 3 or 4 feet from a 32" screen, I can barely make out the UI, particularly the crafting or weapon change. It's only 720p, and I guess everyone targets 1080p these days and I'm a bit behind the time, but it's an issue I had with mass effect 2 before finally getting around to an HDTV for my 360, many moons ago.

Well obviously, I'm not a fucking simpleton.

But that would be discussed quite adequately in the old "megathread." If we're going to start a new thread for each new month, then the OP should be the place to go to get an overview of the new stuff, otherwise there's no real advantage to separating it into new threads at all.

But the OP does have an overview of all the new stuff?

Sorry, TehStu, I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go at you or anything.

Enjoyed my brief go with Apotheon, and for some reason found myself surprised that a smaller title had decent voice acting. Love the visual style, and definitely feels Amiga ish in play.

I guess my main issue at this point, and can be said of several games, is that despite sitting 3 or 4 feet from a 32" screen, I can barely make out the UI, particularly the crafting or weapon change. It's only 720p, and I guess everyone targets 1080p these days and I'm a bit behind the time, but it's an issue I had with mass effect 2 before finally getting around to an HDTV for my 360, many moons ago.

Yeah, the UI is really small, I can barely see it on my 1080p 40" set. I didn't check the menu to see if there was a way to make it bigger, but I wouldn't expect there was with the way they've skimped on options.

Not sure about the voice acting though, it didn't sound very... Ancient Greece, to me. Not that I really know what they sounded like, they could have all sounded like Geoff Boycott for all I know, but it felt like voice acting rather than "good voice acting" to me.

But the OP does have an overview of all the new stuff?

It didn't at the time! It's cool now.

I'm definitely in favour of a new thread each month, this forum's obsession with megathreads is a bit weird to be honest.

Anyway, I only got to play Apotheon for about 15 minutes but it seemed more interesting than I thought it would be from watching the trailers. I do think the animation is really peculiar though, and the UI is way too small. Playing on a 32 inch 1080p set I can barely see the stamina bar for each weapon, for example.

Not sure about the voice acting though, it didn't sound very... Ancient Greece, to me. Not that I really know what they sounded like, they could have all sounded like Geoff Boycott for all I know, but it felt like voice acting rather than "good voice acting" to me.

Yeah, perhaps that it has voice acting at all. It didn't sound awful, at least.

I'm glad it's not just me on the UI. I struggle a bit with GTA V at times, too. A tooltip will appear saying press X to do something and I can sometimes only make out what it is from the color of the icon, not the shape of the icon itself (the red circle is the worst offender).

I just played the opening section. It looks nice and it seems to have a decent combat / weapons system behind it, but the controls are very annoying. They kind of make sense because you need the analogue stick to aim and defend properly, but it just doesn't gel with the platforming and I never really felt like I was properly in control, just suggesting courses of action that the hero might like to consider. I'll stick with it and see if I can get used to it, though, because I think there's a good game in there. I wonder if it works better with m&k on the PC (assuming that's an option)? Attack on R2 is the main culprit, it's so unsatisfying.

After playing an hour of Apoteon I'm actually not too keen, mainly due to what Rowan just said. It has the marks of a good game but the controls are annoyingly woolly and imprecise. I don't really feel in control during combat, especially now the enemies have gotten harder. The combat really wants to be a 2D Dark Souls but it's not deliberate or solid enough and it's kind of getting in the way of everything else. Well, along with everything else to do with the controls basically.

Shame, but I just don't know if it's worth putting my time into really. It's not a hard game because it throws healing potions at you constantly, but I'm not getting any sense of satisfaction when combat is over, more relief, which isn't a good sign an hour in.

Yeah, I deleted Apotheon in the end. The crap controls, the focus on shitty combat, the unclear graphics, the weird voice acting, the horrible UI, items fucking breaking, frame drops, crashes, basically none of it makes for a terribly pleasant experience.

Luckily I'm pretty addicted to Rogue Legacy for now, though I'm not sure how much longer that'll last.

God damn still full price for me.

And my PS+ expires on Friday.

You do know once your PS+ expires you lose access to play the games?

So unless you plan on finishing this months games in a day I'd get a renewal.

God dammit! Still showing as free on the store but full price in the basket!

I've emailed Sony.

Remove it from your basket and add it again.

This has arguably been the best month for me. I'm pretty addicted to Rogue Legacy and Transistor is quite intriguing so far (and also a little confusing). Apotheon looks pretty cool so I'm looking forward to trying that.

I can see Rogue Legacy being one of those games where I suddenly think "what's the point?" and never touch it again though.

EG review of Apotheon:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-05-apotheon-review

There's a lot of game here, but not too much. Perhaps realising the limits of its design, the tiny creative team at Alientrap has opted for perfect pacing. Each new world takes around an hour to complete, ensuring there's a constant sense of momentum, and you'll reach your final confrontation with Zeus before any of the minor wobbles becomes a real problem.

If it played just a little tighter, Apotheon would be brushing up against greatness. As it stands, it's stunning to look at and a pleasure to play, and what flaws it does have can be easily overlooked by anyone looking for something smart and stylish.

8/10