PS+ February (Feb 4th): Apotheon, Transistor (PS4) Thief, Yakuza 4 (PS3), Kick and Fennick (Vita) Rogue Legacy (All)

TehStu

Anyone been playing Thief? I'm quite enjoying it.

What were the main criticisms?

It got a slating for not being like the original Thief games. It never had a chance as people were writing it off and being hugely critical of it in the Thief thread before it even launched.

Ok so ignoring the other games and just assessing Thief on its own merits, what's wrong with it? Just wondering if it's worth carrying on with. So far it's been a fairly linear, quite atmospheric stealth em up. Dare I say it but in the absence of a new Dishonored it's fits in nicely.

I've started to feel like I'm getting nowhere in Rogue Legacy. Everything I buy makes everything else more expensive and so I've stopped spending on frivolous things like health or strength bonuses, but this means I'm regularly not earning enough to buy the bigger things like new classes. I need 1500-2000 gold per run, and I'm earning that maybe one in ten, so all the rest of the runs I'm just throwing away because the more stuff I buy, the more money I'll need to earn, and it's getting a bit irritating having to balance this.

That definitely was fun, yeah, and I can generally clear out the castle at the very least (aside from bosses and stuff) but silly mistakes always end my runs, like messing up on spikes, or fucking up one of those stupid turntable platform things, and I end up well below the amount of gold I needed, meaning the whole run was basically a waste of my time.

Rogue Legacy is basically compelling because of that die/upgrade loop, and as soon as you lose it you realise mechanically it's quite poor, with lots of enemies that fly around shooting bullets at you because the designers are former schmup designers and that doesn't translate well into good platforming combat.

It was obviously quite poor mechanically almost immediately. Projectiles are snuffed out by walls, but only about 100 pixels into the wall, which means sometimes enemies will have their attacks blocked, and other times the same enemies will just shoot you through a wall as if it wasn't there.

I've started to feel like I'm getting nowhere in Rogue Legacy. Everything I buy makes everything else more expensive and so I've stopped spending on frivolous things like health or strength bonuses, but this means I'm regularly not earning enough to buy the bigger things like new classes. I need 1500-2000 gold per run, and I'm earning that maybe one in ten, so all the rest of the runs I'm just throwing away because the more stuff I buy, the more money I'll need to earn, and it's getting a bit irritating having to balance this.

The thing about RL was that it started off great, and then revealed itself as being a massive repetitive grind. If they'd sped up how quickly you levelled up, and maybe put more stuff in, the game might not have taken as long to beat, but it would have been far far better for it.

I don't mind the grind per se, I just don't enjoy the mechanic of everything getting more expensive as you buy more stuff. So like, I need 2000g for what I want, but I only earn 400g in a run. I can buy an upgrade to my health and get 10 extra HP, but that means that now I need 2050g for what I want, so is the 10HP worth it?

I find myself sort of in a position where I need to buy stuff to get further, but I can't buy anything because it'll prevent me from getting further.

I don't mind the grind per se, I just don't enjoy the mechanic of everything getting more expensive as you buy more stuff. So like, I need 2000g for what I want, but I only earn 400g in a run. I can buy an upgrade to my health and get 10 extra HP, but that means that now I need 2050g for what I want, so is the 10HP worth it?

I find myself sort of in a position where I need to buy stuff to get further, but I can't buy anything because it'll prevent me from getting further.

But the amount you get increases too. I was getting 15,000+ per run by the end.

But the amount you get increases too. I was getting 15,000+ per run by the end.

You need to decide if you're doing a run for gold or 'progress' too. For example if you're wanting to get a bunch of gold, then equip yourself accordingly with equipment and runes that increase the gold dropped. And running with the Spelunker class helps a bunch, bit of luck involved there mind.

Ok so ignoring the other games and just assessing Thief on its own merits, what's wrong with it? Just wondering if it's worth carrying on with. So far it's been a fairly linear, quite atmospheric stealth em up. Dare I say it but in the absence of a new Dishonored it's fits in nicely.

I was put off this because of the negativity, but haven't played the originals so will give it a go later. Saying that, I have Dishonored to play as well yet. My pile of shame knows no bounds

Play Dishonored instead. Amazing game.

Or maybe Thief first, and then Dishonored will seem even more brilliant. Depends how limited your gaming time is. :)

Just about to give Thief a go, and see how it is. Will play Dishonored at some point, but I will be vanishing in a couple of weeks for 6 months with no chance to play, so will start it after that!

So kick n fennick is brilliant.

It is really, astonishingly, good. The name, and terrible screen shots put me off, but the game itself is glorious. It's also beautiful, with a mirror edge meets portal vibe (which it mechanically matches too).

The should fire whoever named if and took the screen shots. They do it a huge disservice.

If you've not played it yet, get that sorted.

Just finished Transistor and thought it was great, a clear step up from Bastion in terms of both gameplay mechanics and storytelling. I completed Bastion but found the moment to moment gameplay rather dull in places, and although it had a good ending it's not a story that's stuck with me at all. In fact, I could barely tell you a thing about the story now whereas I'm pretty confident I'll be able to recall a fair amount of this in a few years. Though I couldn't claim to understand every single aspect of Transistor's story, it really wasn't anywhere near as opaque as I had heard it to be.

The battle system is a triumph, at once extremely easy to learn but brimming with depth that I don't think I really fully explored in one play through. The tests help with this though, forcing you to think of combos you would never have previously used on your own. The mechanic whereby you temporarily lose a power if you run out of life is clever but I think it only happened less than 5 times in my play through so it didn't really force me to think on my feet that much. My personal favourite by the end was help + switch + ping which gives you a dog with a high life bar, that moves quickly and can pretty much single-handedly incapacitate several enemies at once while you focus on the rest. Sometimes it felt a bit cheaty/overpowered in fact.

I think this may well be my favourite game of 2014 now I've played it. Certainly far better than any of the AAA games I played last year.

Apotheon is great, really enjoying it. It's combat could do with a bit more depth, as could the weapon select system, but neither of those points detract enough from the interesting environments and pretty damn engaging narrative.

Transistor is brilliant. If it was Japanese people would be losing their shit over it.

Transistor is so far the only game I've platinum'd. I loved it when I played it last year and early screenshots of it went some way towards convincing me to get a PS4. Lovely game, really thoughtful storyline too and a soundtrack you wouldn't be embarrassed to listen to at home.

Rogue Legacy on the other hand... Well I've given it a couple of hours and what I've played so far is a poor man's version of Dawn of Sorrow, where you have to restart from the beginning every time you die and grind for hours to get a glimpse of the second area of the castle. And pixel art that would have looked crap in the SNES era. It's addictive in a way that makes you wonder how much money you can get on your next run, and then you realise you are not having fun and are literally wasting your life. Utter shit.