Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

I like the East hire, but I was really hoping they would get somebody who wasn't get another white male nerd who loves Dota 2 for the west coast. Can't see the bombcast improving at all at this rate.

At least give him a chance!

I would also like to pay half just for GBE content. It's definitely too early to judge Ben Pack (but I'm going to do it anyway!), but he just doesn't look like he's going to liven things up much at GBW given that he's worked for them in the past and also loves the same games as Boring Brad. I know it's unfair to judge him this early but it just seems like a really uninspired hire. 

I also took a break from the Bombcast for a few weeks and going back to it this week I actually find Jeff more annoying than I used to. Having listened to a lot of other new gaming podcasts in that time, coupled with the time away from the Bombcast, it's highlighted just how cocksure he is when expressing his opinions. He really does seem convinced that he has the answer to any question the rest of them throw at him (whether it's about individual games or the industry as a whole). I don't feel like the current team challenge him on it enough either which imo leads to pretty stagnant discussions, especially compared to the likes of Easy Allies where everyone is able to articulate their opinion in an interesting way, and without any hesitation when it comes to disagreeing with each other. I also like that regardless of whether they agree with another ally's opinion or not, they will sometimes challenge them to dig a little deeper into why they feel that way as it often opens the discussion up a little more. 

I'm glad the sale lasts for 2 weeks as I think I'm done with GB now, but it gives me a chance to see what they're like with the new hires. 

Sent something along the lines of "GB West's content has been very lacklustre over the past few months, any chance I can still support GB by only opting in on the GBeast side of things?"

Matthew Rorie replied:

Hey John,

Currently this isn’t possible, sorry!

Pah. Worth a shot I suppose. :P

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that any non-white or non-male candidates for the job weren't as good as the one they picked rather than any prejudice, unconscious or not. Time will tell, I guess. Of course, if none actually applied, that's a separate issue entirely.

Just now, fragglerock said:

Some pods I listen too.

The Tired Old Hack Podcast http://pca.st/3ZKe 

Visiting the Village http://pca.st/YG6c

Idle Weekend http://pca.st/idleweekend

Waypoint Radio http://pca.st/yd0W

The Crate and Crowbar http://pca.st/crateandcrowbar

Dev Game Club http://pca.st/eXx3

The Easy Allies Podcast http://pca.st/KnNK

Thank you for these.

Would you mind pointing me to the first one you recommend and I'll give it a go on the way home from work tonight.

Good grief the new bloke is boring. And has a simultaneously intensely dull and annoying voice. It's droning coupled to a hint of that irritating California stoner/hipster and a slight edge of not having broken properly.

This is the best they could do? I can vaguely recall when he was an intern, who just seemed to be 'there'. Now he's somehow managed to make that feeling of just filling the room slightly audible.

Wow, I've done about an hour of this weeks West episode, new hire Ben Pack sounds like he is doing a bad impression of Jarred from "Silicon Valley" only with less emotion in his voice.

At least TCGS should be on today :)

44 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yeah they at least needed someone with the personality of Will Smith. This duder seems so bland. :(

They should just move to New York entirely. 

overall it sounds like they all hate SF anyway. New York is where GB should always have been really. Pathfinder Dan!

12 hours ago, Father Vegetable said:

Thank you for these.

Would you mind pointing me to the first one you recommend and I'll give it a go on the way home from work tonight.

Easy Allies is probably my current favourite. They have several different podcasts too. Frame Trap seems to be a bi-monthly podcast that is focused on the games they've been playing (rather than news etc) with a brief emails section at the end. They also have a movie podcast and a dedicated Nintendo one (which I haven't listened to yet). One of the biggest things i like actually is that apart from the host, they seem to constantly rotate the rest of the cast around so it's always nice and varied. 

If you're into PC gaming then The Crate and Crowbar is good, as is the PC Gamer UK podcast. I still quite like the Beastcast too. I used to listen to the IGN UK podcast but I'm a bit fed up of a) Gav constantly being either drunk or hungover and B) the stupid game shit they do, such as two of them wearing a blindfold while the third puts random food in front of them and asks them to identify it. Yes, this is supposed to be a gaming/movie/tv podcast. 

The Computer Game Show is entertaining but you can't really take their opinions seriously, it's all about their personalities and chemistry. If that doesn't appeal to you then definitely skip it. 

I'll listen to the new Bombcast later to see what Ben's like but the above impressions don't sound particularly positive :( I notice the episode description lists Dota as a discussed game. What a surprise!

Same here. He actually interacts with Jeff! 

The heart surgery was because he has Marfan syndrome I believe. It's a disability associated with extreme height which fucks up a bunch of things including the heart.

I thought the new guy was great. He was understandably nervous to begin with but settled in nicely.
Can't believe the flak the West office has been on here and on the website itself. It's not their fault Dan and Drew left so close to each other. Also replacing them isn't just a case of hand picking some other personality from another website.

I'll reserve judgment until he's settled in and I've heard a few more podcasts. Dan and Austin seemed OK for the first couple but soon started getting on my wick.

That said, I've just seen a gif of him and he has exactly the face I visualised from his voice, if that makes any sense.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMoose said:

Can't believe the flak the West office has been on here and on the website itself. It's not their fault Dan and Drew left so close to each other. 

No one is forcing them to put out 2-3 hour long borefests hosted by the most boring and disinterested man they could find.

It's just that Jeff always needs someone to riff off. They lost that when Ryan died and Vinny moved. Dan filled that gap a bit for a while... Also they don't have a natural host for the Bombcast really.  

I don't mind too much if the west coast is the more chilled out side and GBEast is the enthusiastic comedy team, I liked the bombcast this week. Ben somehow reminds me of Dave (similar voice or laugh or something,  maybe?). 

What I want to know is which monster told Brad Persona 5 is very disappointing. Is that why the west coast haven't played it all this time? 

25 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's just that Jeff always needs someone to riff off. They lost that when Ryan died and Vinny moved. Dan filled that gap a bit for a while... Also they don't have a natural host for the Bombcast really.  

I don't mind too much if the west coast is the more chilled out side and GBEast is the enthusiastic comedy team, I liked the bombcast this week. Ben somehow reminds me of Dave (similar voice or laugh or something,  maybe?). 

What I want to know is which monster told Brad Persona 5 is very disappointing. Is that why the west coast haven't played it all this time? 

:lol: