Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

19 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I think if Dan left Giant Bomb I'd probably stop following their stuff. He's easily my favourite on the website.

His “I don't know how anything works“ persona though is starting to grate for me.

Dan just knows how to play the villain. His Jeremiah bit showed, when needed, he can also nail the improvised stuff.

Admire Dan for how he talks about anxiety and meditation to cope with it, yet at the same time continues to have the time of his life. Similarly Alex, albeit in a different way. There’s a lot to like about the crew. Will likely never meet them to say thanks but they’ve definitely had a positive influence on my life.

Abby's main problem is an overinflated opinion of herself, and an underinflated opinion of the people who ultimately pay her wages, the viewers/listeners.

Ben doesn't really have a sense of humour, which he recognises as a problem in his chosen line of work, so he's hastily cobbled one together out of obscure internet/nerd culture references which he delivers in a long-winded ramble, hoping that someone (usually Jeff) will find a punchline for.

13 hours ago, dave7g said:

It's pretty obvious there's something going on. I have always had good instincts about these things.

He has a wife and two young kids. They definitely flirt at times, but I really doubt it goes beyond that.

Ben is not a charismatic person at all, and doesn't bring a single thing to GB West that they don't already have covered.

Abby is great, and likes stuff nobody else on the team likes, so brings some valuable diversity to their coverage.

I don’t really mind Abby but I think the problem is she genuinely wants to be a comedian despite having very little talent in that area.  She also comes across as not really wanting to be there most of the time. 

Ben is bothering me less of late. I think as long as he doesn’t mention dota we’re cool. 

He mentions her all time for fuck sake. How is that creepy? They are public figures not your best mates.

Plus they talk about themselves on a podcast yet you can't discuss it, right, ok.

59 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Anyone know who Jeff's wife is? 

Why? What would that achieve and what do want to know? If you know her name, profession etc. then what... would you look her up? I mean, what's the point? Of course it's creepy.

Some of the GB crew don't mind sharing everything, others are more private. Although they do have to talk about their private lives to some degree because of what their job entails of course. But it also depends on what their significant others want. I think Brad's and Alex' girlfriends have no desire whatsoever (I remember them mentioning this at one point when discussing this very subject) to get internet famous and so they never mention their names or what they do. Dan's girlfriend is totally okay with it all and even does a podcast with him, so he's all like here's a photo, she's called Bianca Bell etc.

But yeah, trying to snoop out who Jeff's wife is and where to find her for some mysterious reason sounds super duper creepy the way dav7g did it. Could have worded that one better.

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

He mentions her all time for fuck sake. How is that creepy? They are public figures not your best mates.

Plus they talk about themselves on a podcast yet you can't discuss it, right, ok.

Yes he mentions he has a wife. Same with Ben who mentions he has a partner. They don't disclose anything beyond that so we should respect their privacy. Unlike say a Dan who is mentioning Bianca by name and does a podcast with her. 

I'm sorry but the weird talk of Vinny and Abby having an affair as well is strange to me. I guess I'll bow out of the thread now then if this is what its come too. 

29 minutes ago, Stavi said:

Why? What would that achieve and what do want to know? If you know her name, profession etc. then what... would you look her up? I mean, what's the point? Of course it's creepy.

Why? I just wondered if she was in the business that's all. There's nothing creepy about it.

4 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Why? I just wondered if she was in the business that's all. There's nothing creepy about it.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the post, but as mentioned what has his wife got to do with anything and what would you do with the information? Just because she is mentioned in passing on a podcast doesn’t mean it’s ok to dig up info on her. Seems off to me.

No it’s not creepy. If you started cyber stalking or emailing her, then we are in the creep zone. To get some frame of reference in regard to someone that is mentioned a lot is just curiousity.

Exactly, I didn't ask for nudes. I honestly thought he was married to Mary Kish when he mentioned it first, but I don't think it is. I don't care, I've been listening to him for 10 years and I am happy for him, I just presumed she was someone he met from the industry.

*Abby sigh*

Whether or not he's struggling to cope is entirely besides the point. I wanted to flag an ex-GB staff's project that I think has gotten better and better, but has seen funding drop from over $21,000 a month in 2017 to just under $13,000.

While he is a bit more guarded about his personal life than the rest of the GB crew, Jeff actually did a Yoga podcast with his wife tbf, it's not like it's a secret. 

As for Drew, Cloth Map has been quite disappointing. As far as I can tell, a lot of his backers didn't get what they felt they were sold. Instead of regular documentaries about video game scenes around the world they got... the Eurovision Song Contest. And then nothing for ages. Hopefully he is back on track now.

DO'D seems to work extremely hard to put out material at a rapid clip, which is what is required for a Patreon like this I feel. 

I don't get the Abby hate. I don't find her annoying or loud or any of the things I've heard her described as. At least, no more than the other GB staff. I think she's been a great addition to the staff and she fits in well on the East coast. I don't know that she works as well with the West Coast lot, but then she hasn't really had a lot of time to spend with them. Ben... Ben is growing on me. I laughed at 'B-Sports'. I must admit I rarely watch west coast content since Dan, Vinny and Alex left.

It's just the way Dave phrased his post that made it creepy. Of course it's a perfectly normal question to ask whether Jeff's wife is someone who's also known in gaming and/or the internet, and that's also what Dave meant obviously - just being curious. But it unfortunately came across differently.