Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

2 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Not knowing stuff is fine, but constantly playing up to it and making a 'thing' of it is extremely annoying. He's the Joey Essex of video game website personalities.

Come on, I didn't like Dan for ages, pretty much until he moved out to the East Coast crew, but no way does he deserve to be likened to anyone from that Essex show?

He's annoying I guess, stupid, deffinitely, but he is still no Joey Essex :p

22 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Dan really is weaponized fuckwittery though.

Also white male privilege in crystal form.

If you negged this, you don't understand how white male privilege works.

Jeff is on the Mixer livestream now and I can only assume whoever booked it for him did it for a laugh, he doesn't deserve to be stuck with these two would have been T4 presenters for any amount of time during E3.

Okay, Rllmuk once again showing itself to be extremely tone deaf – or just plain fucking wrong – on race. The privilege is two-fold – Dan's working history, because minorities and women are always held to a higher professional standard [1], and the audience's willingness to accept his willing idiot shtick, which would only result in endless harassment and abuse if he weren't a white male [2].

[1] Dan constantly talks about his total lack of effort at university, but managed to blag his way into decent grades (his one-hour drinking DVD being a good example). Dan got his first job at Game Informer not by his local newspaper writing but because he exaggerated his production skills, yet they kept him on. During his time there, he fluffed high-profile interviews. I can't think of any people of colour or women working in games that hasn't had to come across as hyper competent without receiving a disproportionate amount of abuse.

[2] Dean Takahashi was targeted by a Totalbiscuit-led abuse mob because he was bad at Cuphead, to the extent that he had to publish a fucking apology article on VentureBeat. MedievalPOC (link to her Patreon) has received [death] threats for years, since she first deigned to criticise Kingdom Come: Deliverance's lack of people of colour when it was just a Kickstarter. I don't need to talk about the ridiculous abuse Anita Sarkeesian and Zoë Quinn received from what became Gamergate for essentially starting a video series and getting acclaim for a game. I don't recall the specifics, unfortunately, but a woman was singled out for harassment because of balance changes to a sniper rifle in Call of Duty (I think). Do you really think a person of colour or woman can get away with presenting like the gullible dunce, or the arrogant buffoon as much as he does?

Any and all comments such as he works hard or he's not on a politics podcast or most people like him reveal your ignorance. They have absolutely nothing to do with the default privilege he has benefitted from. It is insulting that this should have to be explained, and insulting that gamers (*spit*) still don't recognise white male privilege when it's directly in front of you.

21 hours ago, dave7g said:

Explain it then. Dan isn't privileged to be there, he writes good reviews and most people like him. He fits in well on the team and is an asset to Giant Bomb.

The extremely rarely-seen 11th member of the squad (I think his name is Dave?) shows up in Abby's latest video. 

Meanwhile, the presenters of that thing Jeff was on really are horrendous. I like the T4 comparison, except it feels like a failed audition for a show like that. Or some kind of spoof. So much shouting! Don't watch this. 

Yeah, Dan plays things up big style for entertainment purposes on Giantbomb and I'm not sure it would be different if he wasn't a white guy in terms of these comments, at least from actual fans.

I do think there is a lot of stuff from his past that he puts down to luck or his charm that is actually just because he's a white bloke. 

If anything you might argue it applies to Ben (no obvious talent for the job, only seemed to get it because he was an intern before) or maybe Jason - he has some sort of criminal past that, America being America, would probably have seen him jailed for life or dead if he were black, but on the other hand making it after having a fucked up youth isn't something to be ashamed of. 

But I always find it a bit uncomfortable to highlight an individual for something like that that is systemic in society. 

14 minutes ago, deerokus said:

If anything you might argue it applies to Ben (no obvious talent for the job, only seemed to get it because he was an intern before) or maybe Jason - he has some sort of criminal past that, America being America, would probably have seen him jailed for life or dead if he were black, but on the other hand making it after having a fucked up youth isn't something to be ashamed of. 

But I always find it a bit uncomfortable to highlight an individual for something like that that is systemic in society. 

What did he do? I'd never heard that before!

He's mentioned quite a bit of it before, although I have no idea about most of the details, but it involved a fucked up abusive childhood, lots and lots of bar fights, getting his 13 year old girlfriend pregnant when he was 16 (!), and I think there was something else. Sounds like he's had quite a life. 

He went into it on his episode of Danswers but has mentioned bits of it in passing at other times.

5 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

I do think there is a lot of stuff from his past that he puts down to luck or his charm that is actually just because he's a white bloke. 

I disagree. I think dan just grafted and hustled. He worked a full time review job whilst at college, whilst also hustling his peers. He cleared all of his college debt before he left. He grew up poor and took risks. There are probably 1000 people that did the same, that it didn't pay off for, but it did for him. I think it's really dangerous to write all of it off as white privilege. 

Dan chanced his arm and it paid off. Fair play to him I say. He got where he is by not giving a fuck and letting his work and personality speak for itself. He didn't get hired because he's white and a male. Anyone thinking that has a very toxic mindset.

Just to add that I also think it's weird to single out Dan for this. The guy has worked his ass off since college to get where he's at now. He bluffed through certain things yeah, but as far as getting into the games industry goes he has often told how much he put in. And from what we can gather listening to the podcasts, he's also one the most productive  members on the GB team - right from the start he came up with loads of new features and added much needed energy to a team that had been very downbeat after Ryan passed away. And he hasn't let up since.  His "hey I'm stupid" persona is obviously partially true and partially played up for entertainment purposes - which is his job in the first place! To entertain. So unless Yix and fragglerock are similarly angry with literally every white dude that has ever lived*, they're either really barking up the wrong tree here or have issues themselves.

*Keeping in mind that there's definitely an argument to be made that there is such a thing as white privilege which every white dude knowingly or unknowingly takes advantage of, and that it's important to be aware of this if we ever want to move past it. But that's separate from unleashing righteous anger at specifically Dan of all people, when there's a guy like Ben hanging around who is obviously not suited for the job at all as others have said.