IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

37 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Ben was at his all time worst this week on the Bombcast. JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR 1 MINUTE!

At one point he even interrupts to tell about how he fell asleep during a tutorial. No point at all to the story, it wasn't because of the game itself or anything, it was just because it was "time for his daily nap" and "it was a nice afternoon". The story goes on forever, and there is no fucking point to it. He's just producing sound for the sake of it.

4 hours ago, dave7g said:

Ben was at his all time worst this week on the Bombcast. JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR 1 MINUTE!

'But where should we shut this fuck up for 1 minute? A cupboard? There isn't a cupboard in the studio. If he's such a fuck up we should shut him up somewhere for longer anyway, surely, not just a minute? Or take him to a psychiatrist and try to get him un-fucked up. Hur hur.'

*silence*

Brad - '... so anyway, it borrows a few things from destiny..'

It was bittersweet to hear Ryan again at his charmingly garrulous best.  As a total mass of output I still think the Bombcast's output is much much greater than any of its low points.  Tonally, and in spirit, they get it right for me.  Those guys...

7 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Abby's contribution was so cringe worthy. I guess it was meant to come across as jokey but it just felt contemptuous

The underlying tone definitely came across as "I can't wait to get the fuck away from this fucking job and all you fucking nerds"

Abby clearly has a lot of dislike for “nerds” and gaming in general. I think she underestimated how shitty a vocal minority can be, but unfortunately has judged and labelled the entire gaming fan base as that one thing. 

I found the bonus podcast so frustrating. I mean I absolutely loved the interviews and the clips BUT it really frustrated me when someone was talking about their favourite moments on the show and they didn’t play the clip they were talking about.

”the Saints Row vs Skyrim argument was legendary” followed by a completely random clip.

its hard to explain, I really enjoyed it but it frustrated me.

The whole thing about the Skyrim/SR3 debate was its insane length. They couldn’t have played a clip to do it justice without adding two hours to the ‘cast.

(actually maybe they could’ve had bits of it running all the way through the episode in little chunks)

I would’ve liked the Yelp rant in there.

Always make me smile when Vinny demonstrates that he’s head and shoulders above her, and anyone else on staff, at improv naturally. 

I’d almost forgotten how mental some of Jeffs stories about his old house are.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Always make me smile when Vinny demonstrates that he’s head and shoulders above her, and anyone else on staff, at improv naturally

Yeah the difference is pretty noticeable, not just how he's always way, waaaaay more creative and waaay funnier than Abby at doing a comedy bit, but there are times when he pushes the bit so far that she's stumped and stumbles for words. 

But I'd argue that Jeff and Ryan (RIP) are just as funny and naturally skilled as Vinny at doing improv-ey bits. Just listen to that best of 10 year GB podcast, it was at its best with those three together. But I'd go even further and say that the likes of Dan and Dave are also way better and funnier than Abby at doing comedy bits. In fact, even Alex sometimes outshines her in reacting to Vinny. 

I don't know why you guys are so hard on Abby for not committing to GB as a lifer. When it comes to gaming websites GB is very much the exception when it comes to staff turnover so her using it to get experience and hone her craft doesn't bother me at all. Drew had the same detachment to games that she has and always sounded like he wanted to travel, it's not like she's the first employee who would have done that. 

Ben is the only 'new' staff member who I cannot see ever leaving GB.

Yeah Ben is most likely to be the last one there.

The difference between Abby and Drew is that Drew didn't come across as actively disliking the entire GB audience. I don't really mind Abby personally, I think she does a decent job and is way better at it than Ben. But back when she started out there were often moments where she was talking about "all the fucking nerds" who annoyed her to no end. "Argh fucking nerds!" She dialed it way back since then, but occasionally she'll let it slip (like on that best of 10 years GB podcast) that she really dislikes parts of the job, specifically the audience that comes along with it.

Again, I don't mind her at all despite that. She's okay at her job, unlike Ben who means well but has zero talent 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I don't know why you guys are so hard on Abby for not committing to GB as a lifer. When it comes to gaming websites GB is very much the exception when it comes to staff turnover so her using it to get experience and hone her craft doesn't bother me at all. Drew had the same detachment to games that she has and always sounded like he wanted to travel, it's not like she's the first employee who would have done that. 

Ben is the only 'new' staff member who I cannot see ever leaving GB.

Yeah I agree. Nothing wrong with Abby or her career. As for her improv comedy versus Vinny -  she's nearly twenty years younger than some of these guys, so it's natural they'd have more to pull from than her. I'm not about to start the Abby fan club here but I don't understand the negativity she attracts online.

I was initially quite impressed with Abby in that she can form coherent sentences and speak clearly compared to Ben’s rambles.. But I can’t stand the bizarre intonation (OAKey DOEkey..) she’s borrowed from the HQ hosts when reading out the emails.