IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

At the end of it I didn't want Ryan to go again.  The chemistry and bond between the original four was so familiar and funny.

Those guys...

It was literally familiar, which is why it worked so well I think. Jeff was the Dad, Ryan the mum, and Brad and Vinny were the academic and the outgoing children respectively. After a couple of years weird uncle Patrick moved in, then mum died, then the outgoing kid flew the nest and an even weirder lodger called Ben arrived.

So now we're left with a dad and his large adult son, and the strange lodger. The nuclear family has mutated into the sort of 'family' people gossip about in the pub.

I've probably thought about this too much.

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

The site redesign looks good, finally properly focused around video series, for a site which does lots series of videos. 

Agreed, it's nice. And efficient. Before it was always a bit of faffing about trying to find specific videos of specific series, with the homepage being focused on news items. Now it's all videos everywhere and watchlist feature is a very welcome addition! I like it.

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah Ben is most likely to be the last one there.

The difference between Abby and Drew is that Drew didn't come across as actively disliking the entire GB audience. I don't really mind Abby personally, I think she does a decent job and is way better at it than Ben. But back when she started out there were often moments where she was talking about "all the fucking nerds" who annoyed her to no end. "Argh fucking nerds!" She dialed it way back since then, but occasionally she'll let it slip (like on that best of 10 years GB podcast) that she really dislikes parts of the job, specifically the audience that comes along with it.

Again, I don't mind her at all despite that. She's okay at her job, unlike Ben who means well but has zero talent 

Gee, reading this thread, I wonder why Abby isn't that fond of the audience.

22 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I don't know, is anyone really hostile? I don't really follow the comments or see the feedback on Twitter, but I had the impression that Abby was generally well liked and Ben less so. Like, her disdain for "sad nerds" seems far greater than whatever negative feedback she receives. But maybe I'm totally wrong about that, like I said I don't keep up really. And personally I like Abby just fine, the only staff member that ever turned me off any content is Ben - and even he seems like a nice dude, it's just that he has no talent for this video and podcast stuff. 

Edit: and since you quoted my post specifically, what is it about me saying she's good at this Giant Bomb lark that offends so?

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

But anything said in this thread is a result of her disdain, not the cause of it. I’d also argue that most of it hasn’t been especially harsh. I like Abby, but I don’t think there’s any arguing that she dislikes the majority of Giant Bombs fan base. 

7 hours ago, Radish said:

But anything said in this thread is a result of her disdain, not the cause of it. I’d also argue that most of it hasn’t been especially harsh. I like Abby, but I don’t think there’s any arguing that she dislikes the majority of Giant Bombs fan base. 

I don't believe this thread or forum are all that bad either, but I do expect other parts of the internet to be jaw-droppingly awful towards her. If she's taken a 'fuck you too' attitude, I can't say I blame her. It'd be nice if everyone could forgive and forget.

Patrick Klepek was a target for internet nastiness when he went through some GB audience hatred too. He spoke about how it affected his confidence etc. Christ knows what it does to a person's self-esteem.

Oh I'm 100% sure there are are people being jaw-droppingly awful to her (and to a lot of other people). I just get the feeling she now believes all gamers/"nerds" are like that, or isn't willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, which is perhaps understandable but not really fair. Maybe it's easy for me to say that considering I haven't had to deal with even 1% of the bullshit she no doubt does.

Yeah I understand why you'd think that Radish and I don't think she helps herself. For what it's worth, I don't think she hates all gamers. I just think she has a very American/millennial sense of humor that doesn't translate well.

11 hours ago, Novelty Bobble said:

Just to cosign that Jeff's rant at the Resident Evil remake is probably the funniest moment on the whole best-of podcast. Dan and Brad's  laughter when they immediately realise they've been justifiably called out is what makes it. 

'THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD, MAN'

'Good to see Capcom making new games'

NO THEY'RE NOT!

I’m really trying my best not to turn this back into a Bombcast complaints topic but I can’t help myself. Rorie is unbearable on the Bombcast this week. The way he talked over the guest from Gamespot every time she started talking to tell another 2 minute story that goes nowhere was driving me insane. 

Even when Brad asked her directly about her experience of relocating to San Francisco, Rorie let her talk for about 10 seconds before he jumped in. 

They’ve gotta find a better backup option. 

Bombcast guests have to be forceful otherwise they just get drowned out by the usual crew. She’d just moved to the GS US office so it’s undertandable that she’d allow all of those interruptions when someone like Mary or Danny would quickly bring the conversation back to what they were talking about originally.

4 hours ago, Pungee said:

I’m really trying my best not to turn this back into a Bombcast complaints topic but I can’t help myself. Rorie is unbearable on the Bombcast this week. The way he talked over the guest from Gamespot every time she started talking to tell another 2 minute story that goes nowhere was driving me insane. 

Even when Brad asked her directly about her experience of relocating to San Francisco, Rorie let her talk for about 10 seconds before he jumped in. 

Agreed - Rorie constantly interrupts himself too! it’s infuriating

Yeah Gamespot Lucy was good when she actually got to say something. And it's always interesting to see what Brad actually thinks when Jeff isn't there to immediately capitulate to. Rorie's main thing is that he says extremely weird stuff interspersed with really important anecdotes that absolutely must be told that never go anywhere.

13 hours ago, palaver said:

Yeah Gamespot Lucy was good when she actually got to say something. And it's always interesting to see what Brad actually thinks when Jeff isn't there to immediately capitulate to. Rorie's main thing is that he says extremely weird stuff interspersed with really important anecdotes that absolutely must be told that never go anywhere.

It's understandable why he does this given that Jeff is his boss, but I wish he'd grow a pair and stand by what he thinks. Especially since Jeff is nearly always wrong.

5 hours ago, Trumpets said:

It's understandable why he does this given that Jeff is his boss, but I wish he'd grow a pair and stand by what he thinks. Especially since Jeff is nearly always wrong.

And especially because Jeff never seems to mind whenever someone opposes or challenges him. Makes for a more interesting conversation instead of:

Brad: The sky is blue of course

Jeff: Nah dawg, the sky is purple!

Brad: That's what I meant, anyone knows the sky is purple, of course it is, there's a hint of blue in there but of course it is purple.

On 31/10/2018 at 19:15, Pungee said:

Jesus, you weren't wrong. They must have been paying him by the word or something, with no penalty for incoherent rambling.

Rorie is just a real, proper nerdy guy, there's a reason he isn't on very much. I would like to seem them use the business development/manager guy on the bombcast but he is probably too busy. Dave? He's been surprisingly good for a back office guy on his occasional appearances in streams. 

Anyone been watching their extra life streams? Inconvenient for me to catch any of it, but apparently their The Quiet Man stream was something else. Looking forward to eventually catching it in the archive. The 24 Hour Rorie stream sounds like a nightmare though. 

(I keep thinking that's based on the John Wayne film). 

24 hours of non-stop weird Rorie's weird stories! :lol: Rorie is ok, he's just extremely nerdy but also completely himself. Unlike Ben and Brad he gives zero fucks about what Jeff thinks or about trying to impress him. And he wasn't hired to be in front of the camera, he's just the dude they can always rely on to jump in whenever everyone else is out. 

The best thing Giantbomb does every year has not long started. Alex's 24hr charity Rock Band drumathon. 24hrs of music and the sheer awe at someone being able to play Rock Band at the highest level pretty much perfectly for a whole day. And deservedly raises a shitload of money.