rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

I recommend not watching it if you're a Destiny lore fan and haven't played the first mission yet. Given that Brad completely spoils the big reveal.

• Empathy 1

I'm not sure how much longer they can carry on as they are. Brad mentions their reputation as 'grumpy old men who hate games' on the latest Bombcast, and their attempts to inject new blood have been...er...mixed. It's the problem any personality driven game site is going to have ten years down the road, as the original members leave or age out.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flub said:

I recommend not watching it if you're a Destiny lore fan 

I recommend never admitting this.

• Upvote 8

Not Giantbomb exactly but the slow death of Waypoint Vice Games continues even if Austin says it isn't.

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/austin-shifting-responsibilities-a-goodbye-to-danielle/24058/2?u=austin_walker

What's good internet? If you've listened to today's episode of Waypoint Radio (or simply read the description) then you've heard the news. Danielle Riendeau is heading off to new video games journalism pastures, and though you'll still be able to hear me on the podcast every week, I'm stepping back from my editorial role at VICE. I'm betting you have some questions, but first and foremost, I want to underscore that this good news for everyone involved. The ship is not sinking, the alarms are not sounding, there is no fire in the barn (is that a saying?).

We dig into all of this late in today’s podcast (timestamp: 2:10:39, or a little later if you’ve got an ad). That said, I’m hoping I can anticipate some of your questions RIGHT NOW and offer you some answers. So, let’s start:

Q. What does this mean for the future of Waypoint Radio?

While Danielle is off to new adventures, I’ll be remaining on the podcast for the foreseeable future. (Labor-conscious friends: Yes, I’m being fairly compensated.) The team also hopes to expand the degree to which we bring special guests (both in the games industry and fellow journalists and critics) onto the podcast in the future!

Waypoint was Austin so I cannot imagine it being the same without him, at this point Patrick Klepek is the only original left and he works from home.

For somewhere that prioritises diversity... now three men left, two white.

What a shame. Hopefully Danielle gets a good gig somewhere. Danika and Nathalie both dropped off my radar when they moved on tho.

It's a pity, although it never reached its potential they could have done something good with waypoint. You get the impression they never got the backing they were expecting from the corporate overlords.

Never understood why Vice obviously restricted their video output so much.

I’m not really feeling either at the the moment.

I think the main problem I have with both the Bombcast and Beastcast in general, any regards to news stories I don’t think they voice a genuine or original opinion on what they talk about. More often just go off on tangents.

They don’t seem to have anything relevant to say.

12 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Brad is doing a podcast outside of Giant bomb with Will Smith...

It is really bad as neither of them really know anything about anything and don't seem interested in learning!

https://techpod.simplecast.com/

All they need now is Alex Navarro and they’ll have the triforce of “I don’t know, but I’ll make something up anyway.”

• Upvote 3

When I sometimes see the kind of stuff that (for example) Star Wars fans and Spider-Man fans are coming out with on Twitter and the like, being a fan of something apparently means really really hating it.

14 hours ago, ryodi said:

Not Giantbomb exactly but the slow death of Waypoint Vice Games continues even if Austin says it isn't.

Turns out that lecturing people on woke politics is no substitute for good gaming content.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe you guys don't know what a Fan Club is.

Drew is on the Beastcast this week, so I'm in love again! 

• Empathy 1

6 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe you guys don't know what a Fan Club is.

We only hate it because we love it so much, or something. 

The thing about that statement is when you have to say-“the ship isn’t sinking”-it never sounds very reassuring. 

I like austin a lot. I hated waypoint. 

I got a bit annoyed by the Beastcast as I don't understand the apparently intense Bakalar Mario pronunciation controversy. I mean obviously his pronunciation is the correct one, but I can't really hear any massive difference in how the rest of them say it anyway unless it is pointed out.

I just assume it's because Americans can't speak properly.

Marr-io Vs Mah-rio.

Alex talking over Drew’s GMA experience was grating. I like the Beastcast but they do have a tendency to climb over each other.

5 hours ago, glb said:

Alex talking over Drew’s GMA experience was grating. I like the Beastcast but they do have a tendency to climb over each other.

This is probably a controversial thing to say but Drew is really boring. I can't believe they talked for 30 minutes (I'm not kidding) about his blinking meme. 

5 hours ago, replicant said:

Here is an idea.  Ben joins Waypoint.

Win win. He leaves GB and kills Waypoint.

Brilliant! How do we make this happen?

• Upvote 1