rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

22 hours ago, replicant said:

Unsure, but it does need to happen.

No one deserves to hear his obnoxious and creaking, broken voice. 
Keep him on twitter, make him a copywriter. But the dude isn't cut out to be a podcaster. We suffered enough.

Danielle has left Vice altogether for some site I've never heard of. Must be really shitty to work at Vice.

Meanwhile Ben has been getting passive aggressive because people have been criticising him (I think this is cause he came out with some 'both sides' nonsense about the Blizzard/China situation).

God I really wish he'd just do something else.

I let my giant bomb sub lapse for the first time in years because I can't stand him :(

I know that sounds really horrible but I loooooooved Giant Bomb before.

Hi guys! Haven't listened to GB for a long while but looking to grab myself a sub and get back into it. What's the new guy Ben like? 

• Upvote 9

59 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Danielle has left Vice altogether for some site I've never heard of. Must be really shitty to work at Vice.

Meanwhile Ben has been getting passive aggressive because people have been criticising him (I think this is cause he came out with some 'both sides' nonsense about the Blizzard/China situation).

A great way to make people hate him even more, and now they have good reason to. Great job Ben.

P.S, please find another line of work.

18 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Hi guys! Haven't listened to GB for a long while but looking to grab myself a sub and get back into it. What's the new guy Ben like? 

You'll love him!

Ben's inability to take any form of criticism, constructive or not, is why he acts exactly the same now as he did when he first joined. 

1 hour ago, Radish said:

Ben's inability to take any form of criticism, constructive or not, is why he acts exactly the same now as he did when he was 13.

FTFY. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Radish said:

Ben's inability to take any form of criticism, constructive or not, is why he acts exactly the same now as he did when he first joined. 

From the sounds of things he browses the Giant Bomb Reddit a bit, and commented that he gets a lot of ‘nice feedback’ there. The place is essentially an echo chamber, and any posts critical of the staff get moderated, so it would make you think you’re doing a great job. What baffles me is that Jeff must never have talked to him, about any of this, let alone after the Kirby joke. Not even a quick ‘probably got some shit coming your way because of that.’ Otherwise he wouldn’t have become so hyper defensive. 

I’ve felt for a while that Jeff doesn’t really care anymore. It used to be part of his shtick; the dry, deadpan guy who’d seen too many video games to really be impressed anymore, but now it feels deeper than that. Like he’s genuinely lost interest in his job, but is too far in to just quit, so things start to slide instead. Ben is just a symptom of that malaise. 

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Maybe he just doesn't know how to manage people.

Or he is too close to notice the problem.  I'm amazed Ben is still there.  He truly is awful.

It was inevitable Ben's need to tell a 'joke' every ten seconds would lead to him making some pretty tasteless ones. Just acknowledge it!

Remember when Ryan let slip one of the most offensive words you can say? Was incredibly apologetic afterwards then wrote an article about what a fuck up it was. Ben... not so much.

His comedy act is like Joaquin Phoenix's Joker's standup.

I must have tuned out through that part of the conversation. What did Ben say?

Yeah I'm trying and failing to find what he said via Google.

I don't listen to the bombcast any more.

I also want to know what he said. He's acting like a real jerk on Twitter towards his audience, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I know what he said. Because you know, the internet as an entity is the biggest jerk of them all.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Ben's referring to complaints about a poor taste joke, the guy tweeting that at him has the wrong end of the stick.

image.png.b723bd715bb8a87f4d50aa39a4f9b0e0.png

I think he just got some details wrong in some news item that he mangled his way through, and some people tweeted him about it, and now he's unhappy because that's someone actually telling him he's shit at his job for apparently the first time ever

Oh, I'm a fucking moron.  The guy tweeting at him doesn't have the wrong end of the stick.  Here's the bit in question:

Ben is genuinely fucking useless. His 'joke stories' where he tries to riff like Jeff does are so painful. Jeff tries his best to join in and help him out, but it's so aaaaargh. GB have never fucked up as badly as this with recruitment. I thought it was easy to get rid of employees in America, though. :lol:

• Upvote 2

HURR HAHA PIRATES HURR HELICOPTERS HURR

He really sounds nasty doing that "kirby" joke. I can imagine him being a right piece of shit in real life.

I remember that now. It's a classic Ben trying to throw in a funny but badly misjudging it. In this case as well as being horrifically unfunny (As usual hur hur) it's also in very bad taste.

Watching the latest Get on my level and of course Ben can’t tie a shoe lace properly! :lol:

The baffling thing about that bit is that it's obviously prepared in advance so he had had time to think about it and go "yeah! That's hilarious and totally appropriate". It's not like he's some funny but edgy comedian who got a bit carried away in an improvised bit.

Some of the confusion seems to be that there's at least three separate things people are angry with him about this week. That joke, tepidly both sidesing the China issue and now his twitter behaviour. Maybe there was something else which is what he was complaining about being complained at about.

I don't find him as intolerable as many do but he is a very weird, awkward guy, like if he worked in a shop they'd have him on "collect the trollies" duty because he'd upset the customers.

• Upvote 1

I used to think that Ben was a nice guy that just lacked charisma and wasn't suited to this sort of personality driven job. I'm a lot less convinced about the "nice guy" bit now.  The "rip. king dedede finally got to him crushed his head with a big hammer. gone but not forgotten" joke and "what the fuck do you mean?" just make him seem a bit nasty. 

• Upvote 1

I’m sure he’s a nice enough dude. My problem with him purely comes down to competence.

I had to stop watching the after show podcast because of how bad he was at controlling the cameras while talking, which I put down to it being a really difficult multi task to do. But then Jan arrived and made it look easy.

He has no charisma and just isn’t suited to being on camera. And if he can’t take the criticism that being an online personality will bring (plus the idea of critics not being able to take criticism always boggles my brain) then he’s in the wrong job.

• Upvote 1