rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Aren't Extra Life marathons usually more than 24 hours, and they do a relay between west coast, east, and their own homes? Maybe I don't understand how it works. Looks like they streamed from the west coast studio for 23.5 hours. I didn't even get to see the end -- I went to the stream when there should have been half an hour left, but the stream had already finished, and Youtube won't let me view it now. Did it even finish early?

Is there an equivalent of Extra Life in the UK? Getting together some ‘Mukers to do a marathon stream for charidee could be gold. Or a complete disaster that raises 28p, but hey, you live and learn right?

2 minutes ago, glb said:

Is there an equivalent of Extra Life in the UK? Getting together some ‘Mukers to do a marathon stream for charidee could be gold. Or a complete disaster that raises 28p, but hey, you live and learn right?

I think Special Effect is open to people streaming for them. 

• Upvote 1

Dan is at some sort of Death Stranding launch event. Of course he got a photo with Kojima and Wait What the fuck

New VinnyVania is great. I mean, they all are. Watch them, if you haven't already.

I listened to their Worst Songs of the 80s podcast, and I really enjoyed it, although they're dead wrong about Danger Zone. I didn't realise Jeff liked anything other than hip hop, but he had some strong opinions on 80s songs, most of which I agreed with. Ben seemed fine on it, too. I know I've always said I don't mind him (and I don't), but he seemed to be less himself in this podcast, if you see what I mean. Maybe he feels less confident about 80s music than he does about games, but he seemed to be trying less hard and being a bit more quiet. He even made me chuckle once, though now I can't remember why.

I got round to listening to last week's Bombcast, where Ben had just returned and... Well, it was really good. He was good. Restrained, on point, interesting. Didn't butt in with stupid shit all the time... Actually enjoyed his contribution. I wonder if the time out was something personal, because he didn't mention any assignment, or whether someone had a word, but... Yeah. A huge improvement.

Say what you like about Ben (and we have), at least he acts as a break for Jeff's interminable 'state of the industry' monologues. I skipped through most of the second half of the latest Bombcast as it was 90% boring Jeff ramble.

Brad doesn't have Ryan's ability to interject something funny/interesting at the right time to move things on.

Well I think Jeff's tales about behind the scenes stuff and his take on it, is always insightful and interesting. So there. That makes it even more annoying when he gets cut off every single time because Ben thought of a lame pun again, 1 minute after his last one.

I agree that nobody will ever be able to replace Ryan :( He was fantastic and hilarious. Him, Jeff, and Vinny together was always pure gold.

Only just got round to listening to this week's, and no Ben again, and not even mentioned at the beginning (unless I missed it) where he is.

He had an operation didn't he?  Someone said that on one of the earlier podcasts or shows while he was away, I think.  And he mentioned on their Extra Life that he's on a strict diet and under doctor's orders to not exert himself at the moment.  He has Marfan Syndrome, which sounds really awful.

He seems to have had some kind of procedure done, he had also mentioned needing to do physio iirc.

I think his extended break might have mixed a holiday with whatever treatment he needed.

This week's Beastcast is GLORIOUS. Never heard of Ron Funches before but he's a real entertaining, charming guy.

West Coast need to do this, just get a really charismatic stand up comedian in every so often. 

• Upvote 4

Was watching one of the old ‘Best of Giant Bomb’ episode on YouTube, and man...they just aren’t this good anymore. The whole crew played so well off each other, and reminded me of how much I miss Jeff’s sardonic deadpan meeting Alex’s dim enthusiasm. 

Case in point, they were playing a flying sim and the group started discussing private planes. Alex said ‘Hey, we should have a private plane. We could all chip in for it.’ Jeff replies ‘Oh yeah, land at random airports with a plane that says GIANT BOMB on the side of it. See how that goes.’ 

So good. 

• Upvote 2

I’m off work sick, been watching yesterday’s stream of Jeff, Brad and Jason just chilling and playing old games and was loving it, it cheered me right up.  Now Ben has turned up with that switch fitness game and is ruining it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

No Ben, and a good chunk of discussing East 17 and Brian Harvey gorging on jacket potatoes!

Is Jason alright?  Over the past few months he seems to have lost any sort of enthusiasm for talking for more than 5 seconds

They might have bothered to put some effort into the Christmas content this year.. 

I mean, not much, but some.

12 hours ago, dave7g said:

Is Ben on GOTY?

He is, but he tones down the 'humour' for the GOTY podcasts so is much more tolerable. Abby on the other hand...

• Upvote 1