rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

For some reason her mic seems to be cranked up louder than everyone else in quite a lot of podcasts. Doesn't seem to happen as much in the videos. 

I also like Abby, and would rank her as number 4 on my personal list of favourite GB staffers, behind Vinny, Jeff and Dan, and ahead of Jan and Alex. 

Watching her play Resident Evils and Nancy Drews is brilliant, and for me at least, she seems to have reinvigorated the East crew. Their output is much better as a whole since she joined. And that's not something I can say for the West, despite Jan being great and Ben being fine.

In fact, the only GB member I wouldn't miss ever seeing or hearing again is Rorie, and even though he's my least favourite, I just find him a bit waffly and dull. I don't feel the burning hatred towards him that a lot of you seem to hold towards Ben and (to a lesser degree) Abby.

Lucky me, I guess: I'm more than happy to keep my sub going.

• Upvote 6

My jaw dropped when one of them stated  that he didn’t learn any story and couldn’t indeed stand why people said it had an amazing story and didn’t know what to do in The Outer Wilds and then someone asked if he read the text on the walls and he effectively says it was just squiggles and then it emerged that he didn’t pick up the translator at the start of the game because he didn’t really bother talking to anyone.  At this point I would expect an adult to say “oh, that explains that then!, I just rushed through” but instead this guy decides that he’ll just carry on arguing that the game is terrible at explaining what you need to do.  Who was that?  I was on podcast and I’m terrible at remembering names of who’s talking other than Ben and Abi. 

I like Abby’s explanations of the Nancy Drew games and the general other non typical games that she tries out.  You know non of the guys would ever have bothered to play those games. She’s got an interesting voice but I think ultimately she’s added a female viewpoint to the gang that’s meant I’ve had a non white male viewpoint put in my face and I welcome that shit.  We need that. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah Abby is great, and frequently stars in the best videos East do. Their Sims videos and the horror game streams she does are brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Objectively correct assessment reached by Giant Bomb. Especially if you go and read their top tens. 

First time listening in a year and Jeff sounds like an actual, genuine idiot talking about Outer Wilds. He didn’t complete the 3 minute tutorial, pick up the core items that are spoonfed to you in the opening moments or notice the quest log in the ship despite supposedly getting in it loads of times, but vehemently declares that “it sucks” while everyone else awkwardly shuffles in their seats because their boss sounds so preposterously stupid and belligerent it’s hard to even argue against. Just... wow. Surprised he managed to install the game and figure out how to navigate the main menu. 

• Upvote 2

That's not true. He had a different experience than everybody else for reasons and that soured the game for him, which is fair. This is very reminiscent to last year's Red Dead 2 discussion where Vinny - IIRC - had the opposite experience of Brad. That happens, as surely that "it sucks!" by Jeff was a tad tongue-in-cheek.

6 hours ago, df0 said:

That's not true. He had a different experience than everybody else for reasons and that soured the game for him, which is fair. This is very reminiscent to last year's Red Dead 2 discussion where Vinny - IIRC - had the opposite experience of Brad. That happens, as surely that "it sucks!" by Jeff was a tad tongue-in-cheek.

reasons being he didn't talk to anyone at the museum or pick up the translator or check the board in the ship or wonder why a dev would put squigly whirls everywere at almost EVERY major landmark you visit?     I think it's fine to say he didn't like it.  But just be honest and say "yeah i didn't do any of the things the dev would have expected of someone, silly me".   

It's like saying Mario is a shitty platformer  because he never bothered to press some of the buttons on the controller that made Mario jump.

• Upvote 2

He sounds like he has brain damage or dementia. It’s genuinely uncomfortable. 

5 hours ago, Moz said:

He sounds like he has brain damage or dementia. It’s genuinely uncomfortable. 

Maybe he's just knackard from being a new dad.

And he just had to sit in a room with Abby and Ben for a week. But still...

Jeff says he "didn't get" the translator. You start with it. The man who gives you the launch codes tells you that you've got it, even if you try to skip all his text. (Edit, it’s the only mandatory conversation in the game according to the noclip doc). It equips automatically whenever you point it at something that needs translating. Like the tutorial one in the observatory. Which takes us onto...

He says twice that he "didn't see" the room full of tutorial stuff in the observatory on either of his attempts to play it. You have to walk through it to get the launch codes from hornfels. It is impossible not to walk past a series of tutorial notes to get them. Granted, you don't need to know how the gravity crystals etc work until you find them out in the world.  Which takes us onto...

He says he has no idea what to do. The ship log firstly tells you go to the Attlerock moon and calibrate "a device"  (it's the only "quest" in the ship log when you start the game). Once you do that you find some more text which tells you to go to brittle hollow, and so on. Also on the Attlerock is a platform which tells you to use your signalscope to find the other instrument signals. If you do that, on each planet is a different guy with a different instrument who you can talk to and they'll give you some (sometimes obtuse) pointers about what to do on that planet. Just finding each of these guys and talking to them would take a few hours of getting to grips with the controls and systems, even if you didn't explore the planet when you got there. All the information they give you and anything you find along the way is fed into your computer. Which takes us onto...

He says he didn't know there was a computer/log in the ship. When you get in the ship, there's a great big flashing computer. Odd that he managed to turn 90 degrees to the left and find the spacesuit, but couldn't turn 90 degrees to the right at any point and see the massive flashing computer screen surrounded by flashing wires that prompts you to press X with the words "SHIPS LOG PRESS X" when you get anywhere near it. Which as I alluded to already, immediately tells you to go the moon 10 seconds away and calibrate a device. So your first task is to master taking off from the planet and landing on the moon, at which point it tells you to go to a specific planet first and also to track down the other signals on each planet, and each one of those gives you loads of clues and information to start working with. It's really not rocket science unless you're wilfully refusing to engage with the game.

• Upvote 2

I get the feeling with Jeff is if he immediately doesn't like the art style or genre of a game he will put in zero effort to play it properly/acknowledge its existence. Back when he played it 'for a few hours' I don't think he realised it would be so critically acclaimed, so when it got into the Giant Bomb Top 10 he felt he then had to give his take on the game and lo and behold it turns out he barely put any effort in to play it properly so had to come up with all the bollocks it was the game's fault it didn't lead him slowly by the hand and it had nothing to do with the fact he rushed playing it out of an obligation to the website.

• Upvote 3

Aye, that was my impression. A lack of information stemming from a lack of effort and a need to have an opinion anyway. Especially as it was such a broadly unanimous decision otherwise. No doubt he had a can of monster in one hand, his phone in the other, his baby in the other and was just itching to get back to Call of duty or Mortal Kombat etc.

Unless something is extremely immediate it’s onto the next thing it seems. He seems to enjoy the idea of certain games more than the reality of them too, and so much of his opinion is wrapped up in the content and conversation it generated on the site. Sometimes I feel like he takes an automatic disliking to things that gain traction with the beastcast too but I might be imagining it. I think the outpouring for outer wilds really took him by surprise. I’d hope that now practically everyone around him is telling him to go back and play more than five minutes of it, he’ll do so.  But he’s spoiled the whole story for himself at this point so he’ll probably just double down. 

• Upvote 1

That's a bit of a blow. Who's in charge of hiring a replacement? If the East Coast get their own Ben, I'm out.

That's a big loss to the site. He's moving to work on Kofi Kingston's podcast apparantly

https://www.newsweek.com/kofi-kingston-day-feel-power-podcast-interview-contract-extension-retirement-1478277

How do you come up with topics like the behind-the-scenes stuff? Is it something you guys talk about beforehand, or is it off the cuff?

It's a little bit of both. We had a producer, which was Emilio Sparks, but it's now Dan Ryckert going forward. They'll give us a sheet, almost like a guide, and we sometimes go off that and other times we don't and just kinda go off on our own. That's why it feels so natural because it's just us talking. I think eventually down the line we'll open it up and have people send us questions and topics they want to hear [us] discuss, and we'll be more than happy to discuss it. But it's like a skeleton and then we go from there.

If there weren't so many lifers at GB it wouldn't be such an usual move, you only have to look at the staff turnover at Gamespot and IGN to see how people normally last in the industry. I'll be interested to see who they replace him with.

That's kind of not a surprise, he's been drifting into wrestling a lot recently. It's also disastrous for Giant Bomb. He's the ideas guy coming up with a huge amount of the good stuff they've done over the last couple of years, as well as being a blast of enthusiasm and fun. 

Have to think GB is going down the tubes to be honest. The boring, low budget, character-less end of year stuff and now this...

Edit: I would imagine this is the job he's taking. It's definitely a good/important one. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/podcast-producer-at-wwe-1625156671

Give it 6 months and he'll be running Raw. 

Ah, that's a big shame. I really like Dan.

The GOTY format was a real misstep for me this year - not the concept of talking about the games upfront, but the lack of awards. I genuinely thought I must have missed a podcast! 'Hottest Mess' was always my favourite awards category, and while they talked about some disasters while discussing individual games (and I think they had a bit of a Stadia chat at some point), not to have that award was so disappointing. Also, while the debate in previous years often got a bit bad-tempered, I liked it much more when they whittled the overall GOTY list down from a gargantuan number of games.

Plot twist, Giantbomb was the hottest mess this year. 

• Upvote 6

I'll miss Dan but fair play to him. That's an opportunity he wouldn't want to miss. I'd be worried the WWE machine would eat him up and spit out the remains but given Dan's luck Vince will end up adopting him and he'll be running the place in 20 years.

• Upvote 2

I was unsure about Dan when he started but quickly grew to like him and he was essential as the one enthusiastic voice. They’re haemorrhaging likeable personalities at GB and while the Beastcast has Jeff B and Vinny, who I enjoy listening to, it won’t be the same without Dan’s energy and stories to bounce off. If they get that Mike guy in I might be done. He’s so boring. I suspect if they replace him at all it may well be with some young type again. Maybe Austin will come back after everything else he’s tried fell apart. Dan is unique though and will be a big loss. I only really listen out of habit now and have questioned why for some time but I like the familiar voices every Friday. If they go then I certainly won’t stick around for the content. 

I love that half the tweets are about Dan leaving and half are people freaking out about WWIII. Perfect Dan move on his way out.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

That's kind of not a surprise, he's been drifting into wrestling a lot recently. It's also disastrous for Giant Bomb. He's the ideas guy coming up with a huge amount of the good stuff they've done over the last couple of years, as well as being a blast of enthusiasm and fun. 

Have to think GB is going down the tubes to be honest. The boring, low budget, character-less end of year stuff and now this...

Edit: I would imagine this is the job he's taking. It's definitely a good/important one. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/podcast-producer-at-wwe-1625156671

Give it 6 months and he'll be running Raw. 

Yep

Please tell me Vince McMahon had to listen to hours of Dan podcasts as part of the recruitment process. 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I'll miss Dan but fair play to him. That's an opportunity he wouldn't want to miss. I'd be worried the WWE machine would eat him up and spit out the remains but given Dan's luck Vince will end up adopting him and he'll be running the place in 20 years.

Considering he's moving to the job that will involve being the person who gets fired without warning or legal recourse when Vince McMahon gets annoyed by something that someone he employs said on the internet I would hope his wife has a stable income. I think the average employment at that level in WWE is about 8 months someone revealed on a podcast once. Working for Sports Direct is a better gig.

• Upvote 1

Along with the New Day podcast hes also producing After The Bell. It's a podcast by Corey Graves.

For those that don't know inner workings of WWE he cheated on his wife and bullied a coworker with anxiety and depression off Twitter. So that's cool.

Does also mean Dan is flying to Saudi Arabia twice a year?