rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

End of an era :(

There's effectively nothing to bring me back to Giant Bomb now. Damn, that's a sad realisation :(

• Upvote 3

I can't say I'm that fussed about Dan leaving. I think Dan's been a bit Meh since Drew left. I mean I don't hate Dan or anything and its a great opportunity for him but I get a bit sick of his "I'm thick as fuck!" shtick. coming out with hilarious misunderstandings about everyday things and situations. 

I wouldn't surprise me if Mike Mahardy replaces him, though I'd prefer it if Austin came back to papa Vinny.

• Empathy 2

Mike Mahardy is sorta bland, not the right choice. Good as the sidekick on stuff like Mary Kish's Resi series though. 

The GB subreddit seems to want Natalie formerly of Waypoint. 

US employment law is fucked, right?

Dan is leaving today and starting on Monday, and it all feels either very sudden or just that they didn't have much prepared for him on the way out. With more notice you'd at least expect Jeff B on his final stream, for example.

I feel like they have one weeks' notice in their contracts or something stupid like that.

While we are playing with weird Twitter trends, I think this tweet unintentionally wins the internet today: 

• Upvote 2

I've always assumed it will happen. Right on the path to inevitably being President of the United States. 

Most of the crew are WWE nerds, but they chose Dan?

I'm sure he'll be fine though. Again. It's a shame it wasn't Ben.

• Upvote 1

Dan has worked indy wrestling promotions on and off for a while, he was involved in a year long Clash of Clans game with half the WWE roster and he seems to be mates with Xavier Woods. If anyone was going to leave Giant Bomb to get into the pro wrestling caper then it was him. 

• Upvote 1

I always wonder how GB do in attracting new subscribers. They gained popularity before they had a paywall and when there were plenty of bad Wii, Kinect and PlayStation Move motion control games to make fun of in quick looks but those games don’t exist anymore.

Business Dave is great.

27 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I always wonder how GB do in attracting new subscribers. They gained popularity before they had a paywall and when there were plenty of bad Wii, Kinect and PlayStation Move motion control games to make fun of in quick looks but those games don’t exist anymore.

I think the toughest thing for them now is that there is so much competition out there. They were one of the first 'streamers' to market, and now the market is huge, but they just don't appeal to kids, which is where all the money is.

Dan going isn't good for the site generally, although personally I thought his persona had worn beyond thin - the ignorant of everything shtick had drifted into irritating more often than funny long ago for me and his ultra competitive thing just often made him appear to be an annoying twat imo. Plus he often fell into that slightly off-putting, completely dismissive of anything but his opinion attitude. Which is made more annoying by the other things, the ignorance etc, and because he appears to have lead a life where he could fall off a building and land on a mattress with a silver platter of money and a promotion at the bottom.

But they kinda need the slightly more extroverted personality and it feels like they won't get that somehow with whoever else comes in. Obviously they might, but I dunno... Who else is out there that might come in and be a Dan esque character?

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

the ignorant of everything shtick had drifted into irritating more often than funny long ago .Plus he often fell into that slightly off-putting, completely dismissive of anything but his opinion attitude.

He's perfect for WWE

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Business Dave is great.

I think the toughest thing for them now is that there is so much competition out there. They were one of the first 'streamers' to market, and now the market is huge, but they just don't appeal to kids, which is where all the money is.

The podcast makes them a lot money for sure. 

Maybe they should just go all-in and employ another forty-something. Lean into the audience who grew up with them rather than making way for the next generation. I mean,  I wonder how many under thirties really make up much of their core audience.

• Upvote 2

On 04/01/2020 at 10:37, Isaac said:

I'm not sure there's too much money in the young crowd, they spend naff all. Relative to most other videogame audiences I suspect the GB one is lucrative. I think Jeff mentioned on a recent phone-in that the last time they checked GB subscribers spent a *lot* of money on videogames compared to the average fan.

There were always a lot of streamers, the advantage that they had was the budget, but a lot of others have that now. 

Although he isn't my favourite GB'er, Dan's been vital to most of my favourite series, such as This Is The Run, Crime Crew and the most recent Vinnyvania. I hope they can continue coming up with entertaining shows without him.

I'm pretty gutted, tbh.

That's my main worry, say what you like about Dan but he's the guy who came in and got Jeff to play Mario on a 3DS on a rollercoaster in his first week. He's constantly coming up with silly ideas. 

I like Abby and Jan, and even though Ben is incredibly annoying in videos and podcasts, the thought of cancelling my sub never crossed my mind. However, I notice that lately I'm barely keeping up with their content. The east coast saves it a bit, but the output from the west has been dire to say the least. 2019's GotY content was atrocious imo. I've been with GB since the begining and it has never been this bad. GotY was something I looked forward to but last year's was awful. With Dan gone and Ben staying forever and ever and beyond, I'm now reconsidering my subscription. I'll wait until the new hire, but currently I'm thinking the free podcast could be more than enough GB content for me.

23 hours ago, deerokus said:

In which case, Jeff Green please. 

Holy shit yes.

In fact, get Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot back from games development and you're onto a winner.

18 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's my main worry, say what you like about Dan but he's the guy who came in and got Jeff to play Mario on a 3DS on a rollercoaster in his first week. He's constantly coming up with silly ideas. 

I like Abby and Jan, and even though Ben is incredibly annoying in videos and podcasts, the thought of cancelling my sub never crossed my mind. However, I notice that lately I'm barely keeping up with their content. The east coast saves it a bit, but the output from the west has been dire to say the least. 2019's GotY content was atrocious imo. I've been with GB since the begining and it has never been this bad. GotY was something I looked forward to but last year's was awful. With Dan gone and Ben staying forever and ever and beyond, I'm now reconsidering my subscription. I'll wait until the new hire, but currently I'm thinking the free podcast could be more than enough GB content for me.

Well, one day after posting this I'm listening to the Beastcast from December 20 (catching up) and Vinny just said he wants to play Blade Runner on a stream. Bakalar wants to join in AND VINNY IS GOING TO GIVE DAVE SNYDER A CALL SEE IF HE WANT IN TOO. Maybe I won't cancel just yet :lol:

Are they planning to actually do any content apart from the podcasts this week?

On 08/01/2020 at 18:22, elmo said:

Man.

Ben this week.

Man.

Unbearable.

• Upvote 1

Thought Jeff did a pretty good job in the email today of talking about why they didn't do a 'hottest mess' category this year. It basically boiled down to the messes getting too dark and that you couldn't really have a category that encompasses Anthem, sexual abuse, Google Stadia and suicide and form an argument. Suggested that possibilities next year might be "the year in game news" as part of the content or just 'messiest game'

• Upvote 1

Did he explain why 'Most disappointing game' and several other categories were also missing, or why they spent three boring days recapping games they already talked plenty about over the last year of podcasts?

38 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Did he explain why 'Most disappointing game' and several other categories were also missing, or why they spent three boring days recapping games they already talked plenty about over the last year of podcasts?

Yes.

• Upvote 3