rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

How much do they earn? I've no idea what sort of pay this job entails, but they all seem pretty loaded. 

Just finished the goty podcasts. They were not good.

Anyway I know ya’ll hate Ben in here but that guy single handily got Disco Elysium into the top 10 so he’s now the best member of staff. He’s great and I love him.

• Upvote 1

I think the new GOTY format as well the "Austin" rule where a game regularly makes the top ten based on staff member saying how much they loved game X has really made them less enjoyable. 

13 hours ago, APM said:

How much do they earn? I've no idea what sort of pay this job entails, but they all seem pretty loaded. 

You get the occasional glimpse into their personal lives in their chat where they talk about still owning old TVs and PCs at home, so probably not swimming in it or they spend all their money on fast food and medical bills.

I vaguely remember Dan talking about leaving his flat in San Francisco with six months on the lease when he moved to New York. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I do remember thinking that his rent was multiple times what I earned in total. Either his book royalties are bigger than you'd imagine or they are on a fair amount.

51 minutes ago, cultofweaver said:

I vaguely remember Dan talking about leaving his flat in San Francisco with six months on the lease when he moved to New York. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I do remember thinking that his rent was multiple times what I earned in total. Either his book royalties are bigger than you'd imagine or they are on a fair amount.

SF rent is notoriously absolutely horrible, though, which is why Jeff and Ben commute in.

I did research. I don't know why.

He said that his six month break was USD 16,000, presumably therefore he was paying USD 32,000 a year. Even if he were paying over 50% rent to wage ratio he would be in the top half of US earners, and in the top 75% of UK earners.

I can now forget all this information and vow to use my time more productively. 

I think on paper they earn a decent amount, but also something which would be an extremely comfortable salary in the UK like $80k a year is a 'technically not in poverty but only earning enough to barely exist' wage in San Francisco. As long as you're in a one bedroom flat with no dependents, that is. 

Dan works in Connecticut now. Much cheaper. But he has to wear a suit. 

It's worth noting that Jeff would have made quite a lot of money off the site being bought by CBS. Don't know how much he actually owned or how much the sale was for, mind! 

https://www.paysa.com/salaries/giantbomb

I have no idea how accurate this is, but $150k for a content producer at CBS living in New York or SF sounds about right to me.

I imagine Abby, Ben and the back end staff will be on less. 

They certainly earn enough that nobody leaves for financial reasons, it seems.

I always got the impression that Jeff's family didn't exactly live on the breadline either (although obviously not massively wealthy either), owning their own mechanic business, so he's always had a fallback of cash I think. Plus he's out of the SF bubble so his dollar will go further. And the CBS buyout will have boosted his bank balance nicely.

Brad is the one that I never quite understood his circumstances. I never got the impression he was on the top rank of pay at GB, but he's always lived in SF while with them I think. His outgoings must be astronomical.

21 hours ago, cultofweaver said:

I did research. I don't know why.

He said that his six month break was USD 16,000, presumably therefore he was paying USD 32,000 a year. Even if he were paying over 50% rent to wage ratio he would be in the top half of US earners, and in the top 75% of UK earners.

I can now forget all this information and vow to use my time more productively. 

Didn't he mention having a roommate because otherwise he couldn't afford it?

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Brad is the one that I never quite understood his circumstances. I never got the impression he was on the top rank of pay at GB, but he's always lived in SF while with them I think. His outgoings must be astronomical.

Maybe I'm misremembering but one of the times the ridiculous costs of living in SF came up, I recall something about him really glad that he got in while it was still affordable and in his flat they can't increase the rent if you're already living there or something along those lines. Otherwise he'd have to move to Petaluma where Jeff lives. Maybe I imagined this!

No I think you're right, I remember that, he either lives in a rent controlled area or has some sort of tenancy that keeps him on 15 year ago rent. Something like that. 

I recall his place seeming tiny when he's streamed from home, however. 

Also. For anyone who has ever follo wrestling. Jim Cornette angry that some wrestler did a GOTY list for giantbomb. Jim Cornette is a fud. 

If you're looking forward to hearing what Brad thinks about Doom Eternal, you'll have to put up with Ben curling off a fresh nugget of inane drivel every ten seconds while he attempts to do so. :angry:

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 6

17 hours ago, Trumpets said:

If you're looking forward to hearing what Brad thinks about Doom Eternal, you'll have to put up with Ben curling off a fresh nugget of inane drivel every ten seconds while he attempts to do so. :angry:

I've given up on Giant Bomb.  If Jeff was ever to ask me why, the answer is simple - that twat Ben.  Awful hire.

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 4

22 hours ago, Trumpets said:

It got so much worse when Jeff started talking about that new DBZ game! So much worse! It's always fun hearing Jeff explain in a fun way why a shitty game is so shitty, but at one point Ben is interrupting him literally (and I mean that LITERALLY) every other word! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Empathy 1

I know all too well some people find it hard not to interrupt, it can be a bad habit. But dear god, he'd interrupt himself if he could. 

I just unsubbed. I've been a premium member since the beginning. 
It hurt to do so. But at the same time, I had to express my dissatisfaction with the way things are going at GB.
It's a personality-driven site, and I have severe issues with one such personality. To each their own, yadda yadda, I get it.
If there is one regular GB West premium feature without Ben (ONE!), I'll resub gladly. All I want is a little Ben-free breathing room for GB West.

• Upvote 6