Giant Bomb Fan Club

The Bombcast this week is a complete car crash but it's fun hearing then generally natter on about straight up games for a while. Austin should just come back.

Meanwhile I caught up with Brad and Will's Tech Pod today. I was a couple of episodes behind. The episode on video streaming set ups... Fuck. There is literally a section that is just acronyms followed by 2 words and then another acronym solidly for about 15 minutes. It's completely headspinning and means absolutely nothing for anyone other than those into serious heavy lifting in their stream set up.

For some reason Patrick Klepeck tweeted about his wages. Games media types are really overpaid clearly. Yet I've seen comments saying GiantBomb didn't pay him enough. 

Well even at his lowest paid job that's more than I'm on. I saw people posting this on twitter with one person saying 20k at the low end of the spectrum is worse than most people in the country which made me scream for all the people working the shops on minimum wage.

• Upvote 2

Patrick earns roughly the same as some consultant doctors in the UK.

I think taxes might be crazy in some parts of the US? It seems like the equivalent of a low wage there is much higher than you'd expect.

Or they just have no perspective. 

On 30/05/2020 at 09:44, Marvin Morris said:

Does anybody here subscribe?

I’ve become a regular listener to the beastcast and they’ve been advertising the premium as being on sale ending this week.

Given the content I’m already getting for free, and the current situation, I’m keen to support. However, there needs to be some content on there I’m interested in for me to make the jump. 

My favorite and the series I happily paid premium for is Metal Gear Scanlon. Dan en drew playing through all the Metal Gear games, I watched it all and it was amazingly entertaining.

• Upvote 1

I don't really know what Giant Bomb is despite this thread being quite popular on the forum and it being mentioned in some podcasts I listen to. Looking on Spotify, there seem to be lots of different podcasts under the Giant Bomb banner. Is Giant Bombcast the main one? Is it just a group of blokes discussing games, like TCGS? What's the difference between Giant Bomb Cast and Beastcast?

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't really know what Giant Bomb is despite this thread being quite popular on the forum and it being mentioned in some podcasts I listen to. Looking on Spotify, there seem to be lots of different podcasts under the Giant Bomb banner. Is Giant Bombcast the main one? Is it just a group of blokes discussing games, like TCGS? What's the difference between Giant Bomb Cast and Beastcast?

Theyre primarily a video site, they do podcasts too. Giant Bombcast is the podcast by the team who work in San Francisco, Giant Beastcast is the one by the team in New York. The podcasts are probably the least entertaining thing they do, these days, but the Beastcast is the better one.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, deerokus said:

For some reason Patrick Klepeck tweeted about his wages. Games media types are really overpaid clearly. Yet I've seen comments saying GiantBomb didn't pay him enough. 

Laughably overpaid. The idea he's some brilliant journalist in the field is absurd. 90k? Even accounting for the fact that will disappear very quickly in the US, it's obscenely out of whack.

No wonder Waypoint never seemed to have any cash.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, James Lyon said:

That's about £78,000. Wish I was earning half of that.

"He gets paid to play games all day!, Etc..."

He said on a Waypoint podcast not long ago that he basically just works 9-5 Monday-Friday. He works from home as well (he's in Chicago and Waypoint is in NY). Not bad for some.

5 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I remember when Klepek was a young writer asking obnoxious questions over at 1Up.

The old 1UP Shows have been streaming on Twitch every night for the past few weeks and I forgot how annoying he was back then. I didn't finally warm to him in audio/video form until he was at Waypoint.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, Giant Bomb is the US spinoff of TCGS.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I remember when Klepek was a young writer asking obnoxious questions over at 1Up.

ahh yes. I remember his interview with the GameLife (?) people, he got absolutely lambasted for it because people felt like he was taking the piss out of them for having mental issues. I think one of them threatened to kill their girlfriend years later and got arrested.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Laughably overpaid. The idea he's some brilliant journalist in the field is absurd. 90k? Even accounting for the fact that will disappear very quickly in the US, it's obscenely out of whack.

No wonder Waypoint never seemed to have any cash.

Overpaid yes but I felt like he was good at investigative journalism. Like the time he broke the news before they announced it of the Xbox One u turning on their used game stance. I'm guessing that's why he left Giantbomb, that site not exactly being known for breaking news in the same way as Kotaku, so guess he felt undervalued?

But yeah, Waypoint is a weird one, it's no wonder people were under the impression that Vice management were breathing down their necks constantly. I would be too if that's how much it cost me for such highlights as a Downton Abbey podcast.

Wasn’t Dan’s rent $3k a month when he worked at Giantbomb? San Francisco is a very expensive place to live and I’m not going to begrudge them earning that much  when they don’t have the job protections we have here, California is an ‘at will’ state so they can be fired at any time with no warning or recourse. 

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Overpaid yes but I felt like he was good at investigative journalism. Like the time he broke the news before they announced it of the Xbox One u turning on their used game stance. I'm guessing that's why he left Giantbomb, that site not exactly being known for breaking news in the same way as Kotaku, so guess he felt undervalued?

He said in that tweet thread that the reason he's left so many jobs is because that's basically the only way he was able to get a pay rise. I think Kotaku and Vice are the only places he's worked that have a union so that probably explains the jump in pay.

• 3 weeks later...

I expected the Giant Bomb staff to be getting paid more than that - for a public facing media personality with easily six-figure weekly eyeballs (or ears, in the case of the podcast), $65k is below market rate. 

On Patreon you'd get more than that with a tenth the audience.

I always figured the Giant Bomb staff would be earning pretty standard presenter salaries, say $100-120k. Guess I was wrong.

Being a public facing media personality with an audience is a well paying job, but it's hard to break into. That's how the deal works.

Anyway, the latest beastcast is well worth a listen, they really do a good job of grappling with the whole speaking out gaming thing, and their own role in some of the personalities who have been outed as abusers being featured on the podcast.

I hope they do a better job than the Bombcast this week.

Jeff: '...It's just...I don't know...it's...the media, people in the media...er...really disgusting...I...just..I don't know...it's...hmm...it's...yeah, not OK anymore...just...these people get a profile...these, er, people, er...I...yeah...er...yeah'

Brad: 'Yeah'

Jeff: '...it's like...what are we even doing...I...I don't know...it's...yeah...hmm...yeah...'

repeats for another 25 minutes.

• Empathy 1