Jump to content
rllmuk

Giant Bomb Fan Club


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I hope they do a better job than the Bombcast this week.

 

Jeff: '...It's just...I don't know...it's...the media, people in the media...er...really disgusting...I...just..I don't know...it's...hmm...it's...yeah, not OK anymore...just...these people get a profile...these, er, people, er...I...yeah...er...yeah'

 

Brad: 'Yeah'

 

Jeff: '...it's like...what are we even doing...I...I don't know...it's...yeah...hmm...yeah...'

 

repeats for another 25 minutes.

I don't really think that's fair. It must be so fucking hard to have to talk about these people who were probably counted as friends live on a podcast whilst trying to sort your own feelings out about it. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AI1 said:

What's the story, I haven't been following?

 

Loads more metoo stuff coming out. Including people Giantbomb have associated with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AI1 said:

What's the story, I haven't been following?

 

A fuckton of figures in the gaming industry have had allegations of varying levels of being abusive cunts, a few of which have featured in Giantbomb coverage before now.

 

Most notably probably Chris Avellone, who appeared at their E3 night show last year, who has been named as a seemingly serial sexual abuser of more or less every stripe; Max Temkin, co-creator of Cards Against Humanity, who the site has appeared with at various events who has a seemingly endless list of abuses of all sorts; and Jack Gallagher, a wrestler who was a fan of the site and appeared on a few videos over the years including an office visit style thing, who is alleged to have assaulted a woman. Oh and Matt Pascual (sp?), former mod and friend of a few staff members, whose ex has claimed he was emotionally abusive.

 

As such the podcasts this week are fairly heavy on attempting to address the fact that a lot of people in gaming are seemingly eager to use and abuse their position to have their way with women. And they've associated with a few of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2020 at 09:35, deerokus said:

Presumably Ben is on more than 65k. 

 

 

Stealing a living. 

 

wut?  That's 52K.  That's like a decent dev with 5 years experience.   I realise that the general UK average is much lower but it's not crazy money for someone living in say London working in media or IT.  In fact I'd expect someone in London in those industries to be on more. (Graduates in the north start on close to 30K)

 

Good on every one of them for earning what they're earning.  They're clearly bringing in more than they're being paid to the company.   I don't get the moaning that a bunch of them are on decent salaries.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

wut?  That's 52K.  That's like a decent dev with 5 years experience.   I realise that the general UK average is much lower but it's not crazy money for someone living in say London working in media or IT.  In fact I'd expect someone in London in those industries to be on more. (Graduates in the north start on close to 30K)

 

Good on every one of them for earning what they're earning.  They're clearly bringing in more than they're being paid to the company.   I don't get the moaning that a bunch of them are on decent salaries.

 

 

I think the main point is that Ben is useless and could be completely removed from the show with no down side.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not enjoyed any GB stuff in months. The podcasts when I have occasionally listened seem to reflect that they are way too invested in twitter. The video content during the pandemic has been pretty much atrocious, uninspired let's plays of boring games. 

 

Dan leaving has been a disaster for them really. 

 

 

I'm not sure why they should dedicate such a long time to apologising for the behaviour of people who are only tangentially connected to them but the really off thing I think is the Pascual stuff. Matt Pascual isn't a public figure, just a guy who works in an office at Activision whose crime as was being a shite not very talkative boyfriend who went through a bad breakup. But he's now been put on the same level as rich, famous and influential rapists, paedophiles and abusers like Avellone. They publicly dragged their supposed friend through the mud for THAT? Seems really shitty and bizarre, why is his breakup their or our business? 

  • Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deerokus said:

 the really off thing I think is the Pascual stuff. Matt Pascual isn't a public figure, just a guy who works in an office at Activision whose crime as was being a shite not very talkative boyfriend who went through a bad breakup. But he's now been put on the same level as rich, famous and influential rapists, paedophiles and abusers like Avellone. They publicly dragged their supposed friend through the mud for THAT? Seems really shitty and bizarre, why is his breakup their or our business? 

I was listening to the podcast wondering what the fuck he could have done and upon reading transcribes of his exe's tweets I was utterly gobsmacked that they felt the need to cover it. I've done 90% of the shit Pasquale did, though I'd be more open about doing it, and I'm a decent person. My respect for Vinny fell through the floor there. I think they sacrificed Matt for the sake of making themselves look progressive and 'open'. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I think the main point is that Ben is useless and could be completely removed from the show with no down side.

 

Opinions Opinions.  I think he's great and worth the fairly middling salary he's getting. 

It's the omgwtfbbq look at this massive salaries that I'm finding a bit odd.   They're not massive salaries in the industry they work in. Some shit just pays better guys.

  • Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

Opinions Opinions.  I think he's great and worth the fairly middling salary he's getting. 

It's the omgwtfbbq look at this massive salaries that I'm finding a bit odd.   They're not massive salaries in the industry they work in. Some shit just pays better guys.

 

In that case could you maybe employ him as your personal fool/jester and do us all a favour?

 

I'm just looking for solutions here.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I must admit on reading up on the Pascual stuff that really shouldn't have been mentioned in the same breath as stuff like Avellone. Or at all really. 

Agreed. It's poor behaviour but it doesn't seem like something that warrants a public shaming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

Opinions Opinions.  I think he's great and worth the fairly middling salary he's getting. 

It's the omgwtfbbq look at this massive salaries that I'm finding a bit odd.   They're not massive salaries in the industry they work in. Some shit just pays better guys.

I know it's all opinions but I'm struggling to see how anyone could describe him as 'great'. I haven't been this turned off a show by a single change since series 3 of Gamesmaster. 

If he's getting paid per 'hurr-hurr' then he probably is on 65k. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all relative, I guess. We're getting quite a window into their lives at the minute and with the exception of Jeff and Vinny I don't find myself thinking their way of life is somehow extravagant. Those guys more than earned their mountain of games hardware and Transformers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I know it's all opinions but I'm struggling to see how anyone could describe him as 'great'. I haven't been this turned off a show by a single change since series 3 of Gamesmaster. 

If he's getting paid per 'hurr-hurr' then he probably is on 65k. 


you just don’t have the same sense of humour as him. It’s bothering you (and the other usual suspects in this thread) enough to moan about him all the time And for it to have become something that taints everything you talk about.  Just look back at the last 6 months plus of discussion on here.  Same old “I hate Ben”. Cheers.  We know.   Go listen to something else then maybe.   Otherwise I’m just going to keep telling you that I think he’s worth the 65K and that I applaud the others for getting a decent wage. Frankly the fact he’s living rent free in your minds is highly amusing. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trumpets said:

 

In that case could you maybe employ him as your personal fool/jester and do us all a favour?

 

I'm just looking for solutions here.


the solution is for you to find something positive about the show rather than the same old whining month after month.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2020 at 10:50, ryodi said:

Wasn’t Dan’s rent $3k a month when he worked at Giantbomb? San Francisco is a very expensive place to live and I’m not going to begrudge them earning that much  when they don’t have the job protections we have here, California is an ‘at will’ state so they can be fired at any time with no warning or recourse. 

 

$32k a year, presumably for a shitty apartment.  San Francisco is an expensive place to live.  I think the Covid stuff is going to further squeeze the games press though. I'm guessing a lot of the salaries are historical numbers tied to the print days and people have just held on to those salaries.   If everybody is working from home, games are distributed digitally and press events are virtual then there's less need for companies to be based in places like San Francisco or New York where the cost of living is so high. They can pay the market rate in cheaper areas and bring the cost of doing business down dramatically.  I suspect this is at least being discussed at some level by the corporate overlords.  

I'm not sure a straight exchange rate is fair either. When Klepek was at 1up a pound was worth $2, now it's worth about $1.25 which is a huge shift.  They didn't get a pay rise just because Sterling tanked against the dollar.   

 

The two podcasts this week I found interesting.  Yeah, there was a lot of predictable moral high ground stuff. Did Abby throw Pasquale under the bus a bit? It doesn't seem his situation is anything like the really shitty stuff unless she knows more than she can say on the podcast.  Jeff seems to have a few skeletons in his closet, I'm not sure he did anything but it certainly seems like he was around some pretty shitty behaviour in years gone by.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rafaqat said:


you just don’t have the same sense of humour as him. It’s bothering you (and the other usual suspects in this thread) enough to moan about him all the time And for it to have become something that taints everything you talk about.  Just look back at the last 6 months plus of discussion on here.  Same old “I hate Ben”. Cheers.  We know.   Go listen to something else then maybe.   Otherwise I’m just going to keep telling you that I think he’s worth the 65K and that I applaud the others for getting a decent wage. Frankly the fact he’s living rent free in your minds is highly amusing. 

The truth is that I rarely listen to any of the shows anymore. That's how much I think he detracts from it. 

He doesn't live "rent free" in my mind. If he left giantbomb I'd likely never even think about him ever again. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The truth is that I rarely listen to any of the shows anymore. That's how much I think he detracts from it. 

He doesn't live "rent free" in my mind. If he left giantbomb I'd likely never even think about him ever again. 

 

and yet I'm confident you guys will talk about how much you really don't like him in the near future again..

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've listened to more GB content then ever. Their pandemic stuff has been fantastic with the highlights being Minecraft, SeaBeasts, Astroneering and the return of the Hotspot with the original crew doing a pod together. The biggest surprise for me has been the quality of the solo stuff as I normally like at least a duo for the dynamic but 2 Fallout 2 Furious and Trucking with Alex have been a joy to watch.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2020 at 15:51, rafaqat said:


the solution is for you to find something positive about the show rather than the same old whining month after month.  

 

OK, I made a point of listening to the latest Bombcast with an open mind and, do you know, you're right, Ben is amazing!

 

Naturally funny, incredibly quick witted and always interesting, I see now that he is one of the most gifted broadcasters in the podcast medium! The silence that follows all of his delightfully off-beat jokes isn't because they aren't funny, it's awe. Awe that anybody can craft such perfect verbal nuggets seemingly off the cuff!

 

Consider me a huge fan from now on. I was considering getting a tattoo of him but that's not enough; I'm going to carve his face into my belly with a penknife.

  • Upvote 4
  • Empathy 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could just not listen anymore?

 

I don't watch/listen to any of the Easy Allies stuff because I don't really get on with the over enthusiasm of everyone (an E3 a few years back was enough for me), but I don't keep watching and then shit up the thread moaning constantly.

 

@rafaqat is right. He's took up residence in your head 24/7, rent free. :lol:

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I don't watch/listen to any of the Easy Allies stuff because I don't really get on with the over enthusiasm of everyone

 

Honestly, while that may have been the case a few years ago (enthusiastic, yes, but genuine rather than exaggerated) it certainly isn't true now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

 

OK, I made a point of listening to the latest Bombcast with an open mind and, do you know, you're right, Ben is amazing!

 

Naturally funny, incredibly quick witted and always interesting, I see now that he is one of the most gifted broadcasters in the podcast medium! The silence that follows all of his delightfully off-beat jokes isn't because they aren't funny, it's awe. Awe that anybody can craft such perfect verbal nuggets seemingly off the cuff!

 

Consider me a huge fan from now on. I was considering getting a tattoo of him but that's not enough; I'm going to carve his face into my belly with a penknife.

 

 

Excellent.  I knew you'd realise how wrong you were previously!   Here's the vid I'm assuming you're talking about for the others to appreciate the way you have. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.