Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

That's probably an age / experience thing then? Both her and Ben are constantly interrupting people mid-flow. As a listener it's annoying, because you're listening to the point someone is making and you never get to hear what they were going to say. The old guard is way better at letting others speak, only interrupting at appropriate times. I didn't mind Abby at all, except for her GotY rants and indeed her interruptions. Going solo means that problem is solved.

Ben will stay forever, but I wouldn't have been surprised if Jan had also chosen to move on with a redundancy package.

I don't expect them to replace her or whoever else leaves anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Listening now and it’s mainly her interrupting someone who’s mid-flow to say “oooh yeah me me me” that drives me crazy. I’m sure she didn’t used to do that as much but it seems to be a nasty side effect of her comfort. 

I think she’ll be fine doing something on her own. Especially if she then edits it down to 20% length after taking out all the ‘like’s. 

She was getting right on my tits interrupting teh Backalar when he was talking about his mechanical keyboard fetish videos. 

For me I've the past year she's gotten worse, she's too fucking loud and sometimes it feels like her levels have been boosted. I did enjoy her Resident Evil playthroughs and she did bring more diverse titles into discussion. Saying that I just really can't be arsed with her nature or her "I'm a comedian" shizzle. I've had funnier cock punches.

I don't mind Jan as a person, and I enjoy his input when they are talking about random stuff. But, the sort of games he's into I've just got zero interest in. Literally sends me to sleep when he's talking on Bombcast about a game he's been playing. 

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

I don't mind Jan as a person, and I enjoy his input when they are talking about random stuff. But, the sort of games he's into I've just got zero interest in. Literally sends me to sleep when he's talking on Bombcast about a game he's been playing. 

Ha, same here. Out of them all he has the most "voice made for radio" but he's really into the kind of stuff that the yoof is into. Instead of the stuff that we are into, the kind of people who would frequent this forum. He's not annoying, but definitely mostly interested in the production side of things. And that's fair enough. The Giant Bomb audience has been spoiled with Vinny, Dave, and Drew - production crew who also happened to be incredibly funny and charming in front of the camera. Jason and Jan don't have that same knack for presenting and entertaining an audience, or the same natural charm. But I think production people like Vinny are by far the exception rather than the rule. So I don't mind Jan not being that interesting to listen to - at least he's not annoying.

Just a thought: maybe that's why nobody of the old crew ever told Ben or Abby to be less loud and disruptive. Maybe their thinking is, we also have to "appeal to da kidz", not just people of the same age as us, and the "youtubers generation" is "hell of into loud" and disruptive.

Just a thought because I genuinely never understood why neither Ben nor Abby have been coached to be better at doing the podcast thing - the thing they were hired for.

Edit: DISCLAIMER FOR THE BEN DEFENSE FORCE

Regardless of whether you think he's the funniest fuck ever and incredibly entertaining, the best YouTuberDuder of all time - it's still bad form to constantly interrupt everyone.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just a thought: maybe that's why nobody of the old crew ever told Ben or Abby to be less loud and disruptive. Maybe their thinking is, we also have to "appeal to da kidz", not just people of the same age as us, and the "youtubers generation" is "hell of into loud" and disruptive.

Just a thought because I genuinely never understood why neither Ben nor Abby have been coached to be better at doing the podcast thing - the thing they were hired for.

Edit: DISCLAIMER FOR THE BEN DEFENSE FORCE

Regardless of whether you think he's the funniest fuck ever and incredibly entertaining, the best YouTuberDuder of all time - it's still bad form to constantly interrupt everyone.

I like Ben, especially on the Aftershow but you're not wrong. Both Ben and Abbey are peak YouTuber over the top excited at all times. Sometimes I used to stick a quick look on to fall asleep to but with either of them on there would be shrieking within five minutes. Not exactly restful.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought Rorie was annoyingly weird at first, now I love the weird little weirdo. He's brilliant. He's 100% himself, Rorie don't give a fuck

I agree with this. 

I wouldn't be able to stand Rorie every week, but in small doses he is great. Whilst he is a bit boring he can just come out with the weirdest shit with zero self awareness and that in itself makes him really endearing.

I'm never watching his Warcraft live streams, but that's ok, as long as some people are then no harm no foul.

She'd be great, she riffs off Jeff really well.

I'm in two minds about Abby leaving, she's really good with Vinny and Jeff B, and seeing her shit herself playing horror games never gets old. But she's so loud.

47 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Maybe? Regular face/GOTY columnist.

I have a very poor understanding about how Twitter works but the most recent mutual follower it flags for me is Dr Tracksuit.

Oh she is really awesome! Would be a great fit, but I thought she was an actual dev and recently moved to London?

40 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Rorie is the most authentic 'nice but very weird nerd boy' of the lot of them. I find him quite identifiable haha. 

If only everyone was more like Rorie, the world would be a better place. No more fights or wars or violence - just petting puppies and impromptu orgies everywhere.

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If Abby has taken redundancy then isn’t the whole point that they don’t want to replace her?

Probably, just saying she's awesome and would fit really well. She's easily so much better in front of a camera than either Abby or Ben.

But thinking back it always takes MONTHS for them to find someone new. And now they're probably going to have to wait until after covid and first of all see if their new bosses want to continue with site at all. And if so, in what form? They may have to reduce further instead of just hiring whoever they like.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

If Abby has taken redundancy then isn’t the whole point that they don’t want to replace her?

Don't think she's taken redundancy in that sense, she's just not transferring over with the takeover. Don't know how it works in the US, if they have something similar to TUPE where legally speaking it would effectively be resigning. 

I saw the Abby leaving vid - yikes. I haven't watched or listened to Giant Bomb at all really since Dan left and it was on a rapidly declining slope after the Abby GOTY debacle but... Oof, that "I'm leaving" clip seemed awkward.

Paraphrased - "I've been thinking of leaving for a while and redundancy was a good opportunity. If anyone knows of any jobs going hit me up" is a bit... I dunno... Not so great. Felt sorry for the folk in the call who've been there from Day 1.

Anyway - tempt Drew back and rope in Dan somehow and I'll buy a lifetime membership. As things stand I can't bring myself to go back :(

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I imagine one of the the first questions the new owners are asking is why the hell are we going to the expense of running separate operations in San Francisco and New York? I can't see Jeff's answer of my friend didn't want to live in San Francisco anymore is going to cut the mustard.