Giant Bomb Fan Club

40 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Rorie is the most authentic 'nice but very weird nerd boy' of the lot of them. I find him quite identifiable haha. 

If only everyone was more like Rorie, the world would be a better place. No more fights or wars or violence - just petting puppies and impromptu orgies everywhere.

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If Abby has taken redundancy then isn’t the whole point that they don’t want to replace her?

Probably, just saying she's awesome and would fit really well. She's easily so much better in front of a camera than either Abby or Ben.

But thinking back it always takes MONTHS for them to find someone new. And now they're probably going to have to wait until after covid and first of all see if their new bosses want to continue with site at all. And if so, in what form? They may have to reduce further instead of just hiring whoever they like.

I just feel bad for Alex and Vinny. They're basically back to square one in terms of staffing from when they first set up the East coast. Hoping they get to fill at least one of the open positions soon, otherwise I can't see that office lasting much longer.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

If Abby has taken redundancy then isn’t the whole point that they don’t want to replace her?

Don't think she's taken redundancy in that sense, she's just not transferring over with the takeover. Don't know how it works in the US, if they have something similar to TUPE where legally speaking it would effectively be resigning. 

I saw the Abby leaving vid - yikes. I haven't watched or listened to Giant Bomb at all really since Dan left and it was on a rapidly declining slope after the Abby GOTY debacle but... Oof, that "I'm leaving" clip seemed awkward.

Paraphrased - "I've been thinking of leaving for a while and redundancy was a good opportunity. If anyone knows of any jobs going hit me up" is a bit... I dunno... Not so great. Felt sorry for the folk in the call who've been there from Day 1.

Anyway - tempt Drew back and rope in Dan somehow and I'll buy a lifetime membership. As things stand I can't bring myself to go back :(

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh she is really awesome! Would be a great fit, but I thought she was an actual dev and recently moved to London?

Surely she's minted after Astroneer blew up? Can't imagine GB doing new acquires during a takeover and it would feel like a pretty big step down and deskilling for her. 

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I imagine one of the the first questions the new owners are asking is why the hell are we going to the expense of running separate operations in San Francisco and New York? I can't see Jeff's answer of my friend didn't want to live in San Francisco anymore is going to cut the mustard.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I imagine one of the the first questions the new owners are asking is why the hell are we going to the expense of running separate operations in San Francisco and New York? I can't see Jeff's answer of my friend didn't want to live in San Francisco anymore is going to cut the mustard.

That's what I'm assuming too. They were lucky that CBS had a building with an small unused room for them to try and convert into a small studio - I'm not convinced it wasn't literally a closet that they cleaned out - but their new owners would have to buy or rent studio space in fucking New York of all places just so that they can stream Donkey Kong 64. Probably not going to fly. But the pandemic has proven that working from home is a possibility.

6 hours ago, Harsin said:

I don't think it ever really did. When they set up the East coast office, I think they sold it on having people in New York to be able to attend events and see studios in New York, which was what they spent a good bit of time doing early on.

But yeah. I suspect GB is profitable but not really growing. I'm glad that they haven't adopted the dodgy Twitch donation and patreon model, though.

Bombcast is just background noise for me, with the odd interesting segment, but I do really enjoy the Beastcast. Not sad about Abby’s departure, just found her annoying tbh. Heyyohh!

3 hours ago, makkuwata said:

The pandemic is likely the death-knell of paying for office space for glorified YouTube streamers across the board. 

Office space is going to be so cheap that I wouldn't be so sure. Might ONLY be youtubers

Same building, different floor. Glad that Jeff isn't keen on the desk set-up even if it's because he finds it uncomfortable for longer streams. Instead of you know, because it looks awful and completely devoid of the cozy atmosphere that people used to associate with GB.

Also, that doesn't look like a bit. Jeff genuine annoyed that Ben blabbed

On 16/10/2020 at 21:56, makkuwata said:

Maybe? Regular face/GOTY columnist.

I have a very poor understanding about how Twitter works but the most recent mutual follower it flags for me is Dr Tracksuit.

As expected, no. But she did get a pretty awesome sounding new job elsewhere:

4 minutes ago, Flub said:

Excellent news that GB are getting a new studio. Bodes well for the sale.

As long as they're not moving from a floor to a closet! I agree with what others have said - the current studio with the big desk thing just looked wrong for them as a team. Ironically, though, it was probably good for a COVID-safe setup if they didn't have to WFH!

Since E3 probably won't be a thing anymore, we can hope that that doesn't factor into the equation. GB is much better with an informal friendly vibe. Those desks were more of a professional Keighley look at this Dorito vibe. They did the one funny bit with them that they had in mind, the Family Feud thing. It didn't even turn out funny. And everything else was just way worse with those desks. Imo and all that

(also, for Rorie fans: I'm watching the Unprofessional Fridays that screenshot is from and at one point while they're all chatting Jeff exclaims "Matt Rorie is over there with his laptop!" and they cut to this shot, which made me laugh quite a bit for some reason)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6b1808a5411a3616c8e8571b5ceadfda.png

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Also, that doesn't look like a bit. Jeff genuine annoyed that Ben blabbed

Jeff always seemed to have little tolerance for Ben's shit, it understandable seems to be zero now he's quarantined with a toddler for 7 months. That eye roll at the pod chair interruption.

Anyway, fuck the desk everyone thought it was awful when it was revealed. Just one of the many bad decisions the site has made over the last five years.

Twitch's newfound ability to get around adblockers appears to have ruined GB's live streams. Watching Brad play Watch Dogs at the moment and people are getting 45-second ad breaks every 10 minutes 

13 minutes ago, PK said:

Twitch's newfound ability to get around adblockers appears to have ruined GB's live streams. Watching Brad play Watch Dogs at the moment and people are getting 45-second ad breaks every 10 minutes 

It definitely feels like they've ramped up the ads recently and every new fix only works for what seems like a day or so. Makes stream-hopping almost pointless and it ruins raids .